Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
My new S4s has let me down! - Page 16 - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

My new S4s has let me down!

Stimpy

3 hours ago, Stimpy said:

Then today I've been told my jobs's at risk - so I dont fancy a peek at the next chapter FFS

Surely best now to sell it,one less thing to worry about,and probably an enthusiast is the best person to work on it now as sent to a garage could be a money pit

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Sorry to hear about your job fella

I just read through the whole thread..... owning this dog (they made the odd one or two) hasn’t been good for you mentally or financially

it’s a definite sell imo

ps I’ve made mistakes too.... the thing is to recognise a lost cause,  ie moneypit
good luck whatever you decide

• Gold FFM

I’m not so sure @Francisco Franco this car could just need a head gasket, head skim and a clutch kit. That’s not a massive amount of work really. 

Dont make a knee jerk decision @Stimpy - be informed and have a clear methodology going forwards 👍

Only here once

Agreed Barry, but reading back through the thread tonight, it seemed that getting the remnants of the old alarm system removed was a bridge too far at one point. 

Running and maintaining a classic model is a real commitment, and you have to accept that it is nearly always at a loss over the long term. Of course there is nothing wrong with that and I know of no other car that is as thrilling to own, but we have to accept that unless you can throw enough money at it to get in front maintenance wise the car is always going to give you trouble

As you say Stimpy needs to have a good think..... there is also the option of leaving it in the garage (His own)  till the waters are a little less murky.

Your second paragraph is spot on @Francisco Franco.  Its taken furlough for me to get back on top of mine and as well as the time its inevitably cost some money.  Being able to do the work yourself is a massive bonus, and I have had a crack at it but struggled, but thankfully had some local help to get me through.

My guess is the car was purchased in 2012/2013 so values will have gone up in that time which helps when you are investing in a project, assuming you have the funds to do so .

I think what has said been before stands - if you are not fully committed to the car, either financially or emotionally, you should move it on. It seems as though enough time has been wasted and in my experience that.s the worst thing you can do - when you come back to pick up the pieces, something else will also need attention.

I feel for you on the work situation, I had a similar scare last year and if that had come to pass my Esprit would probably have had to go. That may ultimately make your decision.  Like I said earlier, good luck whatever you do. 

FWIW Stephen, in the early years(!) of my S2 restoration I was routinely anxious of getting the thing on the road, always hoping it to happen "this year, or next at the latest". I have been more at peace since letting go of such sentiments, now just serenely and productively getting it done with the view that it's on the road once the work is complete. There is a long history of Esprit owners' personal trials in working these lovelies into shape, some of it documented over on our TLF restoration threads. Find your own inner peace no matter whether the car is sold or persevered with, I know which was the better course for me.💪

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Banks prefer lending money to long term investments than fly-by-night things as well. :getmecoat: 

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

• Gold FFM

I really do hope you get the outcome you desire on this car.

Frankly some of the comments on this thread have been acidic and damn right petty at best - I’ve not enjoyed reading some of these posts. Not everyone on the forum is of that nature - so keep plugging away at the car and keep us posted 👍

• Like 2

Only here once

I know what you mean but I tend to find it funny tbh

There are enough quality posts to find this site a great resource for info.  Very worth while being around !