Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Best double din head / ICE unit (parrot? pioneer?) - Page 3 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Best double din head / ICE unit (parrot? pioneer?)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • 7 months later...
  • Gold FFM

So coming to the party a little late here - various posts about OBD devices (and my previous issues with the stock alpine pos) has me thinking that I should be looking for a double din replacement head unit.

I'm guessing that the above posts should be reasonably current - or have things moved on much?

It's not that up to date, I'm afraid.

Pioneer have updated their range.

Parrot have got a new unit coming out. Probably not until the end of the year though.

iCarTech have also got a new Android based unit out: S730 (http://www.icar-tech.de/shop/index.php?route=product/product&path=57_214&product_id=623)

• Gold FFM

It was never going to be that simple, was it?

I've been tracking the Parrot RNB6 since CES, but there's no release date for it yet.

And having taken a deep breath and had a look in more detail since posting I can see that things have definitely moved on.

I have never come across iCarTech before though - look to be German and quite swept up.  I'm kind of stuck on having one with Android Auto though.

Ideally I'm looking for somewhere locally to take the car to get this done.  A quick look on the Pioneer website on where to buy sent me to the CarPhone Warehouse ./shudder

Anyone got any recommendations in the South East?

Ideally I'm looking for somewhere locally to take the car to get this done.  A quick look on the Pioneer website on where to buy sent me to the CarPhone Warehouse ./shudder

Anyone got any recommendations in the South East?

When I discussed this with the local Pioneer supplier and installer, he recoiled in shock when I mentioned that it was for an Evora. And this guy is from Norwich so he has plenty of experience of Hethel products. Expect installation to cost more than you are originally quoted.

Incidentally, Cocopops has recently installed a Pioneer unit in his Evora. (He got a much better price for the unit from German Amazon, IIRC). He's got a photoguide somewhere.

Yep, vey happy with my F970DAB.

Just need to get round to siting the DAB aerial.

CarPlay works well though, as does Siri etc.

If I can install it in less than an hour start to finish, then I'm sure a skilled person could.

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

I had a Pioneer AVIC-70DAB by Accutek near Winchester. Really pleased with it. Android Auto works well and I also use it with the Pocket GPS World safety camera app (using a Samsung Galaxy S5). You can customise the splash screen and wallpaper on the untit. I found a couple of Lotus jpgs on the web. The guys at Accutek are familiar with Lotus because they are used by Snows down in Hedge End.

Pioneer also reduced their prices a couple of months ago so the unit came in about £100 cheaper than I had budgeted for.

• Like 1

I forgot to mention that since having the unit fitted I find the sound output much better than the Alpine unit. This is most like because the original Imprint module (under the dash on the passenger side) had not been connected correctly to drive the rear subwoofer. With this now bypassed I have much better control of the full EQ range. Looking at this thread http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/70689-alpine-w920r-system-subwoofer-not-working/page-2this may be common with early cars.

Chris at Accutek did a cracking job on sorting this and a couple of other 'anomalies'. The sound isn't perfect but then who cares with a Lotus Sport exhaust ;-)

• 4 months later...
  • Gold FFM

This might be old news to some but Parrot have effectively cancelled the RNB6:

http://www.cnet.com/news/parrot-cancels-android-powered-rnb6-car-stereo/

:(

Man alive, that blows.  And not in the good way.

Back to the search engines and forums I guess.

This might be old news to some but Parrot have effectively cancelled the RNB6:

http://www.cnet.com/news/parrot-cancels-android-powered-rnb6-car-stereo/

:(

That is why I went for this: http://www.icar-tech.de/shop/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=623

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

Dave wants a unit with Android Auto though. 

Why want Android Aut when you can have native Android?

Edited by TBD

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

I am very happy with the Parrot Asteroid Smart its a great unit for the price my only complaint is if you go a bit mad and install lots of apps it can slow down as the processor and ram are not the best. But for music, OBD and the odd bit of sat nav its great!

But I was looking forward to the RNB6 as an upgrade :(

Why want Android Aut when you can have native Android?

I presume because he wants the unit to mimic his Android 'phone, rather than having a second Android unit. 

You are also aware of my thoughts re iCarTech. Although the units do most things okay, they still have their failings. I was also looking forward to the RNB6. Darn you, Parrot. 

• Gold FFM

Thought long and hard about this - as in what to do now the RNB6 has been cancelled.

Truth be known, having had the car since February I've kind of gotten used to the Alpine unit :o

There are lots of things that are less than ideal, but it does basically what I want and I've decided to put the money I would have put in to the upgrade in to a little pot called "Dave's 400 Targa fund" :)

• Like 1

I know some just aren't 'apple lovers' but...I can't fathom why folks are using Android :D

At the moment, my calendar is synced up from my mac to my iPhone, which in turn is synced to my watch. Thats also the same with music, emails, messages, and web searches etc. 

Now when it gets time for a drive - my phone automatically assumes my journey based on previous trips. So - come Monday at 0500, it knows i'm travelling from Gatwick to Milton Keynes. Automatically suggests a map route and I just hit a single button on starting the engine. 

Now lets thing about Newlands Corner (every 3rd Sunday). I have a calendar event in my iPhone. I get in the car, and it knows where i'm journeying to because of that invite. Straight away, it loads it up and off I go. 

And lets not forget that my apple watch gives me a lovely buzz every time theres a turn coming up so I don't miss it :D 

I also love my Pioneer F970DAB, so I get DAB in the Evora, with Apple CarPlay.

The iPhone sits lovely next to the screen in the EliseShop/Brodit combo.

I'm not quite as fully sync'd as Tom with his Apple Watch, but not far off :)

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow

Ah you need to Lee - it's so brilliant holding my watch to my wrist, saying 'Hey Siri, play some Spice Girls' and then having a good ol' singalong to 'Who Do You Think You Are?"

Those Recaro seats are brilliant for some chair wiggling too. 

But then I'd have to give up my Tag... Or look like a gimp with Tag on left wrist and AppleWatch on right wrist! :lol:

Apple Watch and Spice Girls - well, guess you can't be a proper chav if you've got an Evora too!  You're saved.  :devil:

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!