Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Jean-Marc Gales new Lotus CEO - Page 3 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Jean-Marc Gales new Lotus CEO

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I just had a really nice message from Jean-Marc, he's going to be very good for Lotus. Looking forward to meeting him and hearing his plans for the company :thumbsup:

I got a nice reply from Jean-Marc too Bibs :). And as I am not a C-List celebrity (unlike you Bibs ;)) perhaps this is a sign of a keen interest in the 'grass roots' and enthusiasts customer base. Looking forward to your interview with him.

Interaction with the bosses? That's a step in the right direction... maybe it's not such a good idea for Bibs to take Jean-Marc out for a spin after all!  :smoke:

Looking forward to the interview.  :cheers:

Having an affair with another marque... B-)

I just had a really nice message from Jean-Marc, he's going to be very good for Lotus. Looking forward to meeting him and hearing his plans for the company :thumbsup:

So are you going to get some interview time with the new boss any time soon?

Just had another brief exchange with JM. I have to say I am very encouraged so far. 

Interesting to see that the DB settlement is announced within a week or two of the new CEO appointment. I wonder if DRB had to close the DB business before confirming the new CEO?

Anyhow, onwards and upwards  :thumbsup:

• Like 2

MJK fully backs him and has spoken highly of him. Will be great when dad is up and about and can make contact to say hi!

• Like 1

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

Interesting to see some of the reactions to the new CEO appointment, particularly in some of the US based sites and Blogs. As you can see from the example below, there are auto fans out there who weren't aware Lotus was still around, if they were they are still building cars and if they are they are almost out of the US market. And they shouldn't be spending millions on F1! In fact, the press release photo showed, according to some observers, a concept car that Lotus should immediately start building as it reminds them of a Ferrari 308  :huh:

Hedgerley,

I'm a Yank and have known about the Evora since 2009. Hell, way back in the late nineties/early part of the 2000s',  I spotted a Black Espirit Turbo (RHD) at the airport I used to work at in MS and knew what it was. My best friend (at the time) didn't know and asked me what it was as he drove past it in his camaro. Before that, I knew about both the Elise and Exige and wondered when a new platform Halo car would come out.  I'm am extremely happy that Lotus has a new CEO. Maybe he will get Lotus back on the right track.  For now, until a new Esprit is built, I consider the Evora S the temporary Lotus 'Halo' car. 

On another note, when Lotus builds a new Esprit, and since they do have an agreement with Toyota, why not have Lotus 'borrow' the 4.6L V8 from the Tundra and engineer it to fit in a new Esprit.  Or why not rework the Cossie 3.8L V8 in the T125 to power a new Espirit?

Though I can't afford any Lotus right now (and can't fit in either the Elise or Exige) I'd love to see Lotus rebuild their reputation in the US in a big way. A Gen2 or Gen3 Evora S that's a little bit larger in size and lower in price that competes real well market-wise against those in its class (Porsche Cayman, Boxster, 911, Ford V6 Mustang, Chevy V6 Camaro, Dodge V6 Challenger, etc. etc) and is well-publicised so that my fellow Americans can actually recognize one would help immensely. 

Another thing that Jean-Mark could do (should do???) at least back a couple of Lotus racing teams here in the US.  Pirelli World Challenge, IMSA/GTP, ALMS, etc would give Lotus more visibility in American racing outside of NASCAR.  A great opportunity would be to get back into the IRL and supply teams with a Lotus engine that actually works and has enough spare parts, horsepower, and development to be competitive in the top open-wheel series in the US (though interest in Indy Car Racing has waned significantly since the CART/IRL split of the mid to late nineties.).

I know I'm probably preaching to the choir, here but more Lotus visibility in the USA in the form of new generations of Elise, Exige, and Evora vehicles could not hurt. 

KW

I hear what you say Langston - I wasn't of course casting aspersions on all Americans, merely those that were posting in that particular blog  ;) We do of course have many of our colonial cousins on this very Forum who probably know more about Lotus than I do. And I have been asked which Lamborghini model I am driving and even 'who are Lotus' here in the UK!

I just wanted to highlight the mountain Lotus has to do climb to re-establish itself, particularly in America.

But I am not sure getting back into open wheel race engine supply would be a good thing. DB spread his resources way to thin and Lotus were burnt severely in Indycar 2 years ago. I doubt they could re-establish themselves with any sort of credibility. No, I think the answer lies in GT and Club Racing to promote the road cars. Once they have something to sell over there of course.....

Considering that the U.S. market once represented a rather large percentage of Lotus' overall sales, I would expect Gales to encourage his engineering cohorts to ensure that any new designs meet or exceed federal standards ("smart airbags," etc.). 

Added expense? Of course. But the payback potential is historically grounded in the mathematics.

• Like 1

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

A way to start getting noticed and having Americans like myself get more interested in Lotus cars in my opinion is to start a presence in some of the premier touring/sport car racing in the US.  The Pirelli World Championship does travel with the Indy cars to different tracks. But PWC races aren't televised until a few weeks after the races themselves.  If they could have a presence in series like IMSA/ALMS/GT3/GT4, World Endurance Challenge, etc. maybe some of my fellow Americans would sit up and take notice.

However,  that all depends on how serious the new Lotus CEO is about returning to the American market. True making sure that the new generations of the Elise, Exige, and Evora do meet and exceed new NHTSA and DOT Federal Standards would cost a pretty penny. However, if the vehicles do well and pass all of the necessary testing and Lotus starts to sell them here in the states again, then wouldn't the rewards outweigh the risks? I.e., more cars sold and more money into Lotus' coffers for development and new engineering?

KW

Sine the airbag excemption for the Evora has expired we can all be pretty sure Lotus is working on an update to the car - more likely a proper facelift. The available stock in US won't last forever.

They had quite a number of new hires from id-2013 on so something is quite certainly going on. Hopefully MY2015, latest MY2016. Probably J-M's premier priority.

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

And even more "a positive sign" if the car reaches the stand under its own power. :D

• Like 2

A stand at next years Geneva show would be a positive sign...  :detective:  

What about a small stand at Paris autoshow this year?! 

Edited by NedaSay

As Gus said:

• Do a deal with another manufacturer to provide the engines and sell the cars through their dealers for a halo effect on their range (Toyota, Honda, Kia?)

I'd love to see four cylinder Lotus Elise and Exige models being powered by Toyota "86" engines. That would be taking the game right up to the only maker of boxer engines in sports cars, ie Porsche.

The architecture of the boxer engine has so much going for it. Low CoG and superb concentration of mass as well as other benefits. And if they work there's the larger sixes that could be used as well.

What about the 1.6 THP from PSA/BMW for the next Elise ?

good engine, can get 150bhp for cheaper version, up to 270bhp (RCZR) for sport one... just mather of JMG still in good relationship with PSA to manage such a partnership.

The comments section following the article (from Bibs' link above) about Mahathir's appointment was full of Malaysian vitriol pertaining to his past history of cronyism and nepotism (Mahathir, not Bibs! :D ). Maybe that's just how things work in that part of the world...it wouldn't be the first instance of such human behavior. It remains to be seen what he can do with Proton, and by extension Lotus. 

I wonder if having a new head honcho will be a good thing for Lotus...

Are we about to extend the period of inactivity while the new guy takes stock of everything, counts the pencils and checks to make sure no one's abusing their coffee an tea allowance? 

This could put whatever plans Hethel have on ice or even worse.  :help:  

Having an affair with another marque... B-)

absolutley the COO was there to keep the boat afloat and operations going and nothing else, the CEO can  make executive decision as his title indicates. The CEO can move the company forward faster as he won't have to go to the shareholder and report his every move - provided he and the shareholder have a modicum of understanding of what their roles are.

Hmm, I'm reserving judgement on this for now. :beer:  When more info is available and Lotus cars are more visible in the US, then I'll give the new CEO his due.

Of course I won't be able to afford any Lotus vehicle in the near future (and probably not the far future either).