Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Driving an esprit to the south of france - Page 2 - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Driving an esprit to the south of france

jimblob

I got radar trapped going down to the Dordogne a while back. I was in an MG ZT190 doing 120mph, kept my foot in it, no-one caught me, and I never heard another thing about it.

I do know that they had a really big purge years ago due to so many people being killed on French roads. It was like some kind of religious fervour had arrived, and everything changed virtually overnight. They're a lot hotter now than they used to be. I had to blow in a bag the last time I went to Le Mans, but to be fair, I was in the Cobra, and I was speeding. As luck should have it, they were more interested I the car, and I got away with it, although I'd only had one beer, but one never knows.

Oh, and if you're going to the south of France, you might want to make sure your air-con is working!

Edited by ian29gte

Margate Exotics.

Yes a working aircon should be essential for south france ! :) I will be there too next month although not by esprit :)

Funny thing, I know someone who once washed his mouth on purpose with some strong alcoholic beverage as he saw the cops were preparing for a alco test. Just for the shiet and giggles, needles to say he got pulled out immediatly as his number must have been quite high, only to find out later at the hospital that he indeed was clean and did not drink any alcohol. He is just that kind of bloke, fooling other people and laugh at their faces XD This one I admit is not one of his best jokes but I would love to see the faces of the coppers upon reading that number :)

Yea we got flashed few times but never heard anything from it. I remember as we were going through the last tunnel into Monaco I got overtaken by a copper..I was doing nearly a ton so I guess he was just wanting to get home :) aircon wise..yes its needed although mine wasnt working correctly at the time but we survived!

Theres more needed than just a regas..that wont work. Hopefully ill be posting up a positive result on getting aircon systems on the pre 1996 cars working correctly...just testing at the moment for a few weeks..

There is a chap near me who does A/C has fixed mine perfectly.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Theres more needed than just a regas..that wont work. Hopefully ill be posting up a positive result on getting aircon systems on the pre 1996 cars working correctly...just testing at the moment for a few weeks..

A regas would work on mine....if it didn't clearly leak from somewhere ><

Did they put any dye in when re gassing? With a UV light you then should hopefully be able to track down the leak. Check all connections ie @ receiver drier, expansion valve, compressor and condenser.

When re gassing don't forget to replace the receiver drier under the bonnet!

(null)

1982 DeLorean DMC 12 #16327, 1999 Lotus Elise, 1998 Lotus Esprit GT3 #2272, 2011 Lotus Evora S, 2013 Lotus Exige S,2016 Lotus Evora 400,2019 Lotus Elise Cup 250

When re gassing don't forget to replace the receiver drier under the bonnet!

Did you ever find a source for the silver Sanden GT3 driers? SJ have them at £90 each! A V8 drier is only a tenner

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

Did they put any dye in when re gassing? 

yep the guy did put it in and had a look. No leaks were obvious and I thought everything was ok until about an hour later when it stopped working (compressor clutch no longer engaging basically the same as it was before filling) :(

It could be the compressor seals leaking mine did this, the guy put in additive from WURTH in fixed it straight away.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

• 4 weeks later...

Ok the trip is planned we are going to Brittany now not the south anymore. My question is european breakdown recovery worth it or not? seems like their are a lot of catches on these polices, I am not sure if its worth buying the cover what do you guys think?

The policy I have with Classicline includes this and when I broke down in my Esprit in Belgium I was home within 12 hours, excellent service*

*post written while in Brittany!

• Like 1

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

The policy I have with Classicline includes this and when I broke down in my Esprit in Belgium I was home within 12 hours, excellent service*

*post written while in Brittany!

You could have waited a month :)

Re the earlier question about fuel economy mine achieved a staggering average of 34-36 mpg over the whole trip to Le Mans (including 600 mile round trip this side of the water to get to the ferry). I put this down to the empty French roads allowing regular speeds to be kept.

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

I was in France last week and made sure the Union Jack was flying....

post-21-0-35834100-1403171043.jpg

This book is guaranteed to NOT change your life…but it does mention a Lotus Esprit...

To enjoy this masterpiece, download Martin now. Simples!!!

• 5 weeks later...

Ok I'm off to perros guirec, No more time to fiddle with the esprit I have checked everything about a million times fingers crossed it doesn't mess about. Thanks for all the advise :welcome: (someone spot me on route never been "spotted"  :hrhr: