Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
A Wheel Disaster - Compomotives - Page 2 - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

A Wheel Disaster - Compomotives

hopo

• Gold FFM

^^ Absolutely wot he said.  I wouldn't be running around on those until I knew all 4 were good.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where would you go for such testing? I'm having some Compomotives refurbed as we speak so would be interested in doing this afterwards.

The company I work for, does piping welding works (inox )

For attests Non destructive tests (in the form of X ray photos) are taken from the welds to see all cracks and bad welds.

Here in belgium some registrated companies like SGS are doing these tests on site.

You can contact some industrial pipewelding company. They can help.

I am responsable for E&I works , so it is not really my line of competence.

Edited by gvy

you could try a company called image wheels, they may be able to match you a brand new rim.

They were very helpful with my OZ split rims on my V8 though not same problem.

cant remember the address but think its Tipton in the West MIDS, Google it and you should find it

They actually manufacture/ build wheels to suit your needs and not mega bucks either

Edited by tricky12

IMO, I would get new barrels, NOT weld them!  That metal looks like it has corrosion cracking, which means it is not a good candidate for welding.  Double check those centers too!

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Hi Folks,

I must say that I am very impressed by the level of support and assistance on here. its truly fantastic.

After assessing my options and spending an eternity on the phone I decided against welding. It would have worked out quite pricey/laborious and would not have the structural integrity required.

It took an age and a trip ooop norf but I now have a new rear barrel. I have split the rim myself and replaced the barrel. Bit of a faf to do but not hard... just time consuming. I have now resealed it am waiting for it to set. looks unlikely I will make Ypres tomorrow though as I need the silicone to set. Any ideas how quickly I could get a tyre on? I have been told it really needs to set for 24 hours. (Finished at 10:00am today!) ... day off you see.....

ah well....

• Gold FFM

Well now that you have a new barrell I suppose you will reTyre the cracked one? :getmecoat:

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Great news Jon.

Wherever did you find a barrel?

Good to know there's a solution to that particular problem now I've just become a member of the Compomotive club!

:thumbup: 

You're only using it for sealing, not as an adhesive.

You should be fine to get a tyre mounted within a couple of hours tops.

Depending on how you laid the sealant up, air pressure will only push a little more in but unlikely.

Mount the tyre, then drop the pressure back off, take the wheel home and then properly inflate it in the morning before you leave. Would be a shame to have got over the final hurdle only to sit on the sofa and watch everyone else finish the race without you!

Chunky Lover

• Gold FFM

Glad you got the wheel sorted out Hopo. I know I made jokes about it, but it's not like I could do much else from over here.

Good job. :thumbup:

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

• Gold FFM

Not teaching you to suck eggs but you of course used a torque wrench and appropriate torque settings ?.....................very very easy to over torque ,which can set up cracks etc .

Nick S4s

Edited by fflyingdog

Simplest things first.