Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Gearstick snapped - Page 7 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Gearstick snapped

• Gold FFM

It's all knobs with you, isn't it?

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Nooooooooooooooooooooo not chips!

Word.

Let us refer Stimpy to your thread on the subject.

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

Chips are great  - but I would say that proper roast potatos are the best (I mean crispy on the outside)  and must go with gravy.

My findings on tuning and enhancements from a certain expert on the matter (recognising that others may have a different opinion) are -

Dump valve ('whooosh') - not necessary.   Because of the way Lotus have configured the way the turbo is used.  There may be a small advantage if there is a constant need for the turbo to work  -therefore if you own a trackday car which is constantly going at full pelt continually

Chargecooler - Similar to above - useful if the vehicle is being demanded to 'give it some' for most of the time.  Apparently "Lots of people who own an esprit don't even realise that their chargecooler hasn't been working"

Chip to 320hp - an excellent upgrade but you'd have to know that  everything is strong and in great condition so a 60k miles+ vehicle (like mine) would require some thought before risking it - especially with 2nd gear.  The same person said that there is an inclination that people who do chip their cars for more power end up 'wanting more' and use a higher power chip followed by seeking out even more power etc - at which time the g/box becomes a risky weak point.

The thing is - if you go for a 320 hp chip it doesn't automatically mean you'd be using 320hp for ech and every drive you partake in.  Who, here, floors the accelerator more than 50% of the time each time they go for a drive.  How about 25%?  15%?

My mini is overpowered (146 bhp) for the g.box according to experts (funilly eough, 2nd gear is the weak link on the A-series too) - I've had that set up for over 5 years with no issue.  I 'give it some' every now and again but realistically? That strain is seldom tested.

So thats where I come from (in a second hand sort of way!)

What's up with 2nd gear? It's 5th that's the problem due to the fact it's tacked on in an extension to the gearbox at the end of a long, long shaft. Yes, if you spend your life chasing 0-60 times the 2nd gear synchro will suffer but what car will not have this? You know this same gearbox is used in over 1,000 V8 Esprits producing 350bhp and 300lbft of torque with very few reported problems.

If people noticing the chargecooler working or not, it's a very important part of the engine and power delivery. Each 1 degree it drops from the charge temp is about 1.5 bhp on an Esprit so to say it's not an important element is nuts. Perhaps they think their Esprit is just slow from when they bought it, but once they've driven one with it working you most certainly know when it isn't, that's 60+bhp missing. 

• Like 1

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

I can support what Bibs is saying, as my chargecooler never got Cold when I bought it. Car could drive jsut fine, but missed some whoomp.

I went Electric and installed the reversed coolant hoses correctly, and now the car is MUCH quicker! Really!

Cheers,

Jacques.

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

It's just info that I was being told - I know the pysics, but in this person's experience most of their customers don't realise their charge cooler is ineffective..

Most of his customers need to spend some money getting their Esprits serviced then. Anyone with a modicum of Esprit experience should be aware of chargecooler function and it's importance to BHP. 

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Don't feel bad, Jimi. I've read, and added [little useful technical help] to, all nine pages, and I'm not even sure about the resolution of the original issue. But I've certainly learned a lot about the S4s in the process.  :) 

Like all lengthy threads, this one has meandered about the landscape in fine fashion...not always "sticking" to the subject, but quite informative nonetheless. The miracle of it all is that Godwin's Law has not yet made an appearance, which is refreshing in its own right. Speaks to the quality of the community me thinks.

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

Can't be bothered to read all these pages (I'm lazy) is this gear stick problem resolved? 

Heh! Yeah - seems like the topic name has been forgotten - yep all back together and working nicely.

I have an urge to go around putting 1 star reviews for a certain place in S/hampton!

Don't feel bad, Jimi. I've read, and added [little useful technical help] to, all nine pages, and I'm not even sure about the resolution of the original issue. But I've certainly learned a lot about the S4s in the process.  :) 

Like all lengthy threads, this one has meandered about the landscape in fine fashion...not always "sticking" to the subject, but quite informative nonetheless. The miracle of it all is that Godwin's Law has not yet made an appearance, which is refreshing in its own right. Speaks to the quality of the community me thinks.

Typical Nazi response.

(Oh sh*t)

Might this be the time to inject a discussion of Navajo pottery symbols and Norse mythology?

symbolism.jpg

• Like 1

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

Does that say "Go F**k your nut" ? Lol

Hahahahahahaha  :censored:

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg