Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
carbs to EFI - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

carbs to EFI

red vtec

I'm thinking of switching from carbs to EFI, what parts would I need and are they available? I have looked through the parts books, can I use the fuel rail etc from a later esprit and just bolt it straight on? would I then use an aftermarket ECU? I'm not worried about chargecooler. I'm thinking more Esprit S then SE

I'd keep the carbs in case someone wanted to swap back, but i'm thinking EFI would be easier day to day and also reduce the fuel leak risk.

Advice sort.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wiring..ecu...manifold and throttles..injectors..gaskets clips etc. not to mention sensors. theres a lot too it but it can be done. Maybe it would be easier (if you can get the parts) to go the K-Jetronic route than Delco?

I have fitted Motec M800 engine management to my 1985 Turbo.

I used Jenvey throttle bodies and fabricated linkages. I bought a new distributor, machined the housing in the lathe and fitted an adaptor to fit the sensors from a Toyota Corolla. I made a custom distributor shaft to adapt the cam and crank position wheels.

I made a custom fuel rail, fitted a Webcon swirl pot with inbuilt fuel pump, welded a bung into the exhaust downpipe to fit a wideband lambda sensor, mad an adaptor to fit an engine temp sensor, drilled/tapped the turbo to plenum pipe for an air temp sensor and a few other bits and pieces.

Made a custom wiring loom and fitted Lotus Elise coil on plug coils.

At the same time I fitted a Motec SDL3 dash and GPS.

Pretty straightforward really.

Neil

wiring..ecu...manifold and throttles..injectors..gaskets clips etc. not to mention sensors. theres a lot too it but it can be done. Maybe it would be easier (if you can get the parts) to go the K-Jetronic route than Delco?

I've seen a kit for £1800, but wondered if it could be done cheaper with donor parts, depending on what's up with my engine and the cost of repairing I'm wondering if I may be just as well to fit a newer engine, but then it won't be a matching numbers car.

Is the k-jettronic what is fitted to the federal cars?

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

I've seen a kit for £1800, but wondered if it could be done cheaper with donor parts, depending on what's up with my engine and the cost of repairing I'm wondering if I may be just as well to fit a newer engine, but then it won't be a matching numbers car.

Hi Chris

There are several ways of doing this sort of thing, The less you spend the less you get..

There are now Carb's converted to injection which would bolt straight on as a replacement

for what you have now. This saves a lot of messing.

Along with a few other bits and sensors ..job done..It will still look just like a carb model but

with the smooth power and reliability of injection,, 

Depending on the ECU you invest in, you can install coil pack or COP, go sequential, etc at

not much extra cost.. Or add it on later.... dumping the dizzy would be a great move...

As far as the donkey goes, A good spec rebuild would be better than just buying a newer unknown

unit on the basis you would be sure of what you have... That's assuming the chap who rebuilds

yours keep a photo record for your reference.. It would be a good idea to fit C/C pistons while at it

if going down this route..

You can always call me if you want more details and sources...

Dave.