Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Front splitter/spoiler or keep the front end clean? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/ICE/HVAC & Other - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Front splitter/spoiler or keep the front end clean?

So before I started all my mods I removed the front splitter to gain access to the underneath. Now that I am in position to put it back on I find myself in two minds. Do I put it back on or keep the front end clean lined. I know it helps air intake but what did S1s do before the splitter was added? I'm liking the cleaner line but would like to see an S1 without and with the original factory intake, anyone got a picture?

20140629_155042_zpsee9b97f8.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

S1 elites and eclats had a narrow 3/4 width front spoiler of their own. It was a simple black plastic protrusion jutting forwards and downwards at at 135 degree angle, rather like the ones on the early esprits.

they have a habit of breaking off, so it is rare to see an S1 that still has one in place. Most people also think the S2 item looks better, so a lot of S1's had the S2 spoiler retro fitted for looks and function (it scoops more air)

However the S2 spoiler makes the cars a complete 'mare to tow and you have to winch them onto recovery vehicles backwards. I am looking at fitting a fabric towstrap pickup from demon tweeks.

• Like 2

This is all I have at the moment, I will take a closeup when I can if you want from a better angle. Not sure if it is original, the bumper colour certainly isn't, but I think I prefer colour coded than black anyway, makes the lines nicer I think.

post-10210-0-45541600-1404132675.jpg

• Like 1

the yellow Series 1 is a library pic. I think it belongs to a chap called Nick. My yellow car is an Series 2 although it is on an S suffix plate, it is a private plate that I put on it and the car is a mid 1980 S2 that was originally on a W plate.

as it was:

http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/garage/vehicle/595-lotus-eclat-s2/?tab=images#

as it is now:

http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/garage/vehicle/595-lotus-eclat-s2/

That pic of an S1 is identical to the one I used to have tho... (apart from that one still having its S1 lip spoiler!)

The S1 front bib doesn't have any sides, it is simply a fin that juts forward. Maybe one with sides would be less prone to being knocked off?

Clive's is a custom one.

It is a pretty simple protrusion, I'm sure you could make something similar

Yes, the V8 eclat is mine. I have two others, but they are not on the road yet. (Blue eclat excel nearly ready for MOT).

I don't have one to take pics of as my red S1 doesn't have it. I will fit an S2 bib to that one as its intended to be a track car and the S2 bib is reputed to help cooling.

• Like 1

Blimey, didn't know you could get them still, how much are they? Thanks for the photos, I like it, may well opt for one of these.

And how do they fix on? just bolted?

• 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...
  • Gold FFM

Looks like I may have one in the garage that came off an old project. Will have a look and see and make it available if anyone wants it.