Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
The story of Little Red Riding Hood - Page 10 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

The story of Little Red Riding Hood

I have now had the engine started up, warmed up to temp (just idleing) and cooled back down again a few times, retightened all nuts etc, and can report back that everything Works, is tight, no leaks and Work well. Still no support bracket adjuster and no slip joint plates installed. Will do that later in the Spring, when Little Red Riding Hood have done some milage with everything setteled.

Well chuffed for now. So once Again, thanks to everyone who involved themselves and gave good advice. Much appreciated and a testimony to the quality of how this forum Works ;)

Little Red Riding Hood sounds great, but I suspect a bit developing sound will come through as milage increase in the Spring. I expect my neighbours will find out soon enough...

Kind regards,

Jacques.

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Began the rear Wheel parts renewal.

Lower link axle stud came off easily, but the sleeve was a bugger. I tried heat and coldspray, 3 homemade pullers, 1 bought puller plus heat and Cold spray. All broke, nothing worked. So I had to use the hacksaw method, slowly sawing a line from inside the sleeve. A bit came out. Sawing once more, two bits out. Sawing once more, two more bits came out. Finally al out. What a bugger.

Little Red Riding Hood triping on 3 feet. Not very amused for the mo. Still waiting for parts...

Kind regards,

Jacques.

001.JPG

003.JPG

010.JPG

015.JPG

016.JPG

Did a Little bit of cleaning up today. I sanded the oil return hose, based it and painted it. Not as new, but will do untill I have a new one made, as they seem to be obsolete.

Speaking of obsolete, I tried to order some Lotac bushings, and they too seem obsolete. The subcontractor won't deliver any more to Lotus, I am told. Most worrying. Let's hope it will change over time.

Stainless bits and bobs a few places, incl. a new handbrake cable p-clip. Also cleaned up the front lug on the hub carrier and greased it thoroughly, made a small Tool for inserting the new greased sleeve,and voila, very easy to slide in. Not entirely, but enough to install rest of components, which I am waiting for.

Yes, I know, worn hand brake cable outer surface, but I'll sleeve them till' I get new ones.

Kind regards, Jacques.

001.JPG

003.JPG

005.JPG

006.JPG

007.JPG

Small update:

After a weekends worth of fun, the new upper and lower link arms are now in place with new sleeves, Lotac poly bushings, spacers, bolts, nuts, washers and so on. Actually, I can only recommend to hacksaw the sleeves out, by first freeing up the rust in the sleeve, and then using the hacksaw to saw out a part, then using a big set of pliers, squeze it a Little, and as it didn't let go, I had to saw out another part. Then another. Voila, out it came, sanded the hole, smeared with coppergrease and pressed in a new sleeve. On the right side, the lower link stud came out easy too, and the sleeve also slided out with a little tool using a 10mm threaded stud, the old snubber washers and a few sockets big enough to contain the sleeve, as it came out. All done while installed on the car. No need to take off the drive axles, hub carriers etc. Plenty of space to work on.

The only other challenge was to install the last bolt on the inner lower link arm to chassis. As I installed it, it became obvious that it had another angle then the chassis, so I jacked up the rear hub carrier to about level, and wiggeled it, and I could then press home the last bolt.

I then called upon two friends who acted as dead weight, while I filled the tanks half. Then I went under Little Red Riding Hood and tightened all the bolts to spec. This should ensure that bushings are in a relaxed position when the car sits at ride height. Well, I did discover a bracket that could do with a refresh, so I'll do that asap.

Now I only miss to clean up the underside, as it is somewhat dirty with grime, old gunk etc. and wait for Spring to take her out for a ride, to settle the suspension to normal height after lifting it so much. Then reinstall the 4 little heat shields on to the left engine mount, and finally the engine undertray.

Here is also the new sportscat installed. So for now, all exhaust parts are done.

As I haven't been able to get the Lotac radius arm bushings, those will be done later on, if I get a pair.

Ordering a complete set of Lotac bushes for the front end, so that'll be next. I have two of them, but still miss 6.

I expect the car to be a little firmer, a bit more direct and bit quicker responding.

Now, if only I had a new set of adjustable suspension springs and dampers... ;)

Cheers,

Jacques.

014.JPG

1014.JPG

1017.JPG

2002.JPG

2003.JPG

• Like 2

Okay, here are the results from the Danish jury:

original Girling cast iron clutch slave cylinder: 615 gr.

aluminium clutch slave cylinder: 264 gr.

Saves another 351 gr.

Little Red Riding Hood is delighted ;)

Jacques.

I am working on a post of the weight saving I have done on Little Red Riding Hood without changing her character and looks, and here's a teaser (since I just had new batteries in my scale):

Taking off the ebpv, which I surely don't want to keep on the car, saves some nice 1085 gr. with out the bolts, nuts and washers, which is about the same weight as the slightly extended tube from the cat. So well over a kilo saved ;) Throttle Jack still have to be taken off as well.

Once Again Little Red Riding Hood feels better balanced and cheerfull ;)

Cheers,

Jacques.

Okay, small update:

Looking into if I can make small weight savings and small powergains for Little Red Riding Hood, I chose to do both.

Having sorted (hopefully) the exhaust side of things by installing the well-spoken of alunox tubular manifold (when I finally made it straight, which it was certainly not from production), a free flow 200 cells sportscat and the Quicksilver exhaustsystem, while also taking off the ebpv and using the great K-nuts for the aplication on manifold etc, I think I have done what can resonably be done in that particular area. It have to be bed-in for a while, so come spring, and I'll roll it again to compare to last years setup of standard exhaust manifold and standard cat plus ebpv.

As Winter sets in Again and smart new parts waiting on the shelf are getting more scarce, I am looking into small weight savings on Little Red Riding Hood. Here's a list of thing I have done so far; more on the way.

Fueltanks: changed for aluminium. Weight savings unknown as I cannot measure them and don't have the old SE 1990 tanks. But it's substantially many kilo's. I will find out and list, eventually.

Exhaust system: changed for a Quicksilver system. Much lighter! Don't have numbers, I am sorry, but fairly many kilo's. I will find out and list, eventually.

Double headertanks in aluminium: saves 1,1 kilo.

Spare wheel: saves 17,236 kilo.

Inner gearstick changed for hollow carbon: saves 185 gram.

Jack for wheels: saves 5,5 kilo.

"U" fasteners for exhaust, changed for light stainless versions (2 pcs): saves 67 gram.

Carbon airbox: saves 346 gram.

Genuine Sport300 seats covered in full magnolia leather: saves 10 kilo and a bit.

Leaving out the 5mm seat spacers: saves 210 gram.

Bolts and nuts on Sport300 seatframes in titanium with aluminium washers: saves 118 gram.

handle for wheel jack taken out: saves 330 gram.

Securing handle for spare wheel taken out: saves 335 gram.

Freeflow 200 cell sportscat: saves 2,2 kilo.

Carbon roof with magnolia leather (exactly like original): saves 3,577 kilo.

Tubular exhaust manifold in stainless: Saves 9,8 kilo over my Lotus cast one.

Aluminium coolerset: Dropped because of lousy quality. Returned.

Clutch slave cylinder in aluminium (Landrover 2 2a): saves 351 gram.

Ebpv taken off (only mech): saves 1085 gram.

And then some, but takes time to write down, but for example smaller head light backing plates, carbon b-pilar covers and carbon head lamp covers and much more. All old parts are of course cleaned up, resurfaced, wrapped in and stored.

All in all a very nice and substantial weight saving, and I'll look into more later on. But I don't want Little Red Riding Hood to change her looks, dunctionality and character, so there's a limit to this. Well, sort of ;) Titanium bolts are going in here and there once in a while, where absolute strengh is not needed. Grade 5, so 6Al-4V. is the grade I use. More than this, I keep my own weight and fill the tanks half when driving for fun.

The Picture is getting all the better when I look at the weight of modern sportscars, like a watercooled 911, the nissan, whatever.

Powerwise, there are some bits and bobs on their way hopefully soon.

Kind regards,

Jacques.

• 1 month later...

All right, a small update.

While I've been waiting for parts to rebuild the front suspension like arms, links etc, I thought why not be attentive to something else, like the über rusty long metal bar that supports the engine under tray, as well as the support bracket underneath the gearcable attatchment, so I took them off, and thanks for that, as most of the pop rivets were dead and simply fell out when I touched them. Hmm.... Off it went to be sandblasted and resurfaced as per original. Installed it back on yesterday and fitted the engine undertray back on, after having played around with the 4 heat shields left of the exhaust manifold. Having installed a very non-fitting alunox tubular exhaust manifold, that I finally made fit, there is no longer room for all 4 heat shields. So I tried one by one, and could manage to fit 3 of them, and I think it's fine, as the 4'th is kind of on top of the others. Anyway, all 3 protect fine now and they are easy to take off and put back on.

Next is the front end. I like those poly bushings ;)

Jacques.

Ps: hmmm... Pete the Postman brought a big heavy box of goodies. I Wonder what that could be?

pps: OOOHHHHhhhhhh! I like that exhaust sound with the new tubular manifold and free flow cat!  Mmmmuuuusic ;)  I think I actually scared another driver in his car next to me starting from a stoplight, he he... If i cannot beat him on equipment in the car, cupholders, infotainment, paddleshifter, 8speed box and other non-needed Things, I can at least scare the shit out of him ;)

1000.JPG

1001.JPG

1002.JPG

999.JPG

• Like 2

Congrats. Great update.

Regarding the exhaust upgrade.... how noisy is it in the cabin? Or is the sweet symphony emanating more from the rear?

Nice work so far Jacques, 

Also hope your on the mend from accident and its not giving you to much stick, Always nice the box arrives and nice new sparkly bits appear in lotus badged bags. :)

Looking forward to see these fitted and hope all goes smoothly on the install .:)

A

Exactly so. Very nice subdued music sitting in the cabin. Once you open a  window a bit driving in town, it's more noisy. Driving along a say 80-100 km/h out of town is most pleasant. No real droning to get irrritated over. I have the silenced version of the Quicksilver exhaust. The tubular exhaust manifold surely made it have a bit more sound. It sounds quite deep and raspy with lots of popping when I let go of the gas. To be expected and it was like that always. Quite addictive. So, I'd say if you want a fairly present sound, it has it, but if you sneak around, it's not really that intrusive.

Thanks chaps, my back is much better. Improving by the day. I can bicycle now, and that says a lot with al those potholes ;)

Hmm... Yes, the box is full of goodies, but not new. More like old rare parts ;) Now delivered to the sandblaster and in for a regalvanizeing. Will demand, probably, body off to install :cry:

Jacques.

• 2 weeks later...

While waiting for bits and bobs to arrive, I've decided to redo the lawn in the garden. Albeit very small, it should have that British feel to it. Last year I bought a British gardening set, consisting of a pair of White cotton gloves, a magnifying glass and a nailcutter, to trim the lawn. While it worked well last Summer, this year though, is an entirely different story. Nasty Little creeping plants have decided to infest the lawn, because it haven't been cold enough. I tore much of it off, and then carried some 14 buckets of waste away. Next step was shopping in the local garden-buy-it-all-shop. I soon realised, that it was going to be heavier than comfortably carried in one arm, so off in the Esprit to the garden center, and load it up with bags of soil, grass seeds and fertiliser, hence these pictures, which I bring to honor my promise to Vanya ;) The Esprit Turbo SE in Red with Magnolia (flower) coloured all leather and red carpets, is an excellent car to go shopping in, for garden stuff. Especially as it can drive under the stop and pay before you leave pay toll. No need to pay ;) Surely this is a clear sign of the Esprit's British heritage. An MPV being able to do fast driving as well as gardening jobs. Beats me why Lotus should make another one this year in Proton disguise, as they could just put the Esprit back into production?

Jacques.

Ps: I probably shouldn't have put an extra bag of fertiliser in the passengers footwell... Phew...

gødning1.JPG

gødning2.JPG

• Like 1

Arh, come on Bibs, you're native British! Everyone outside the UK knows this is how you keep the lawns. I read it in Asterix when I was a child. The bulletproof method probably haven't changes much since then ;) I've added the magnifying glass since I forgot to mention that. I'll post a Picture of said kit asap, weather permitting. Originally, I used the other British methos of playing golf on my lawn, but as the lawn is the size of Thatchers Summerhat, I kept on smashing the neighbours Windows, hence the far more practical kit.

Cheers,

Jacques.

Ha ha! I think I couldn't get the tractor through the small gate, and not being able to turn it on my lawn. We live in the middle of Copenhagen, and our garden is very small ;) No chance of Lacrosse either.

Jacques.

Great to see another SE being used to go shopping. B-) It always amuses me when I see the look on other people's faces as I carefully distribute a cartful of stuff in both front and rear boot.

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

20 hours ago, Bibs said:

Be careful, I cooked chicken in the boot on the way home from the shops once! :lol:

I only got as far as melting some Belgian chocolate. :P

Must... Try... Harder... :devil:

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.