Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Tires for 1991 Esprit Turbo? How and Where? - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Tires for 1991 Esprit Turbo? How and Where?

Hello, I need to replace the tires on my 1991 Esprit Turbo.  I am original owner, and it has the original tires with 26k+ miles.

Any suggestions?  I need help.

OEM size = 215/50/ZR15 on front, and 245/50/ZR16 on rear.

I found this comment with a Google search:  Toyo Proxies on my 1991 SE. I had to go with a 225/50/15 in front to use the same tires front and rear. I thought at first that those might rub on the fenders at full crank of the wheel, but they do not. Rears are the standard 245/50/16's that Toyo also makes.

All assistance greatly appreciated.  There is Lotus group gathering in Asheville, NC next month, about 450 mountain-road miles from my home.  I want to get on those roads, but I need new rubber.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody who knows anything about this? I have the same problem. 215/50/15 no longer available. What would be a good substitute? I don't want to change rims!

You can change the width plus or minus 10mm with no ill effects whatsoever, that should open up some more options for you.

Driving on tyres from 1991 would terrify me, they must feel like they're made from wood! 

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Going up 10mm should only add a small percentage to your indicated speed.

I'm looking at fitting Toyo Proxes R888's (upsize front and rear) next month, but not sure if this will affect the wheel alignment. Alignment requires the chassis to be a certain height off the ground. The car will sit 5mm higher with these larger tyres. Is this important? Will other settings have to be adjusted, too? (i.e. changed from standard)

I have recently changed the tires on my 90SE, after a long search for a suitable type in the correct size.

The front tires are standard size, Dunlop SP Sport 9000 215/50R15. On the rear I chose slightly wider (and larger) BF-Goodrich G-Force Sport Comp 255/50R16. Very happy with both looks and performance.

The Sport Comp is also available in standard 245/50R16, as is the similar Super Sport. I had some trouble getting the BFG's in Europe, and at a much higher price, but over there they should be readily available.

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

hi,

i changed the front to toyo proxes t1 205-55-15

and rear to toyo proxes cf1 225-55-16

smaller tire makes the car extreme better handling on the dutch roads 

more grip (other materials) and mutch more better handling when you use heavy brake  
and the wear is lower i think
and last but not least , the price is a lot lower then the original tires
(sorry for the language mistakes)
.gr sietse

• 2 weeks later...

I will be having this issue soon.  Very disappointing that original size not made anymore. :thumbdown:

Try this website for equivalent tire sizes. 

http://tire-size-conversion.com/tire-size-calculator/

I found tires in both 225/50r15 and 225/45r15 to be close.  I've always had 4 matching brand/style tires, but looks like I'll have to adjust at my next tire change.  I might try to go with the 45 profile. 

My other thought is to change wheels.  I've always liked the OZ Novas... 

Everyone, 

Here in USA, I have chosen to replace my front tires with smaller 205-50-15, and rear with same OEM size 245-50-16.

I chose B.F. Goodrich g-Force Super Sport A/S.  

Somewhere I read that the smaller front tire might be 10mm less wide, maybe 5mm less tall.

Later this week, when I replace the tires, I'll get the actual measurements for the differences and post here.  

Lotus UK put me onto this distributor of tyres:

http://www.blackcircles.com/catalogue/dunlop/sp-sport-9000/215/50/R15/Z/0/f?returnurl=%2forder%2ftyres%3f%26width%3d215%26profile%3d50%26rim%3dR15%26speed%3dAny&tyre=11087398

They say they order them in from Germany. I don't know if these are really old stock, however.

Lotus UK put me onto this distributor of tyres:

http://www.blackcircles.com/catalogue/dunlop/sp-sport-9000/215/50/R15/Z/0/f?returnurl=%2forder%2ftyres%3f%26width%3d215%26profile%3d50%26rim%3dR15%26speed%3dAny&tyre=11087398

They say they order them in from Germany. I don't know if these are really old stock, however.

I have the same, also from Germany. According to the DOT-code, they were produced in the 51st week of 2013 and I got them in February. So you should be able to find new/recently produced. And I can recommend them!

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

Well, the guy at Blackcircles was a lot of help...

First email response...

"This tyre is available, please note as it is being dispatched from Dunlops main warehouse in Germany the delivery can take 5-7 working days."

Last email response (when I asked him if he could give me the name of his supplier in Germany)...

"I am sorry but we source all tyres from the UK.

We buy domestically and ship domestically - I am unable to provide you with any further info.

Aaron Dores
Sales Executive"

You could try tirendo to see if they're willing to ship to Aus. Or try the German site. I ordered mine on the Belgian site, but delivery was straight from Germany.

Russ,

There was delay getting my Esprit tires installed due to my travels, and I couldn't get to Asheville in time for LOG.  Tires are being put on today, as I type this message.

I switched to 205's for the front, versus 215, and it looks to be a good fit.  Lost about 5mm in height (.2") and 10mm (.4") in width.  Hardly noticeable.  Installed BF Goodrich g-Force Super Sport A/S.  Took off the OEM tires, after 23 years and 26K miles.  Thanks.

Glad to hear you got it done.  Sorry you didn't make it to Asheville.  We had a good time with the "spirited" driving in the back roads on Sunday.  You wouldn't have wanted to be there with 23 year old tires!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

at the fear of being ridiculed, I would need to know if there are any suitable all season or winter tyres for the SE ? 

Reason for my asking, if I can't finish the rather extensive repairwork on the RX7 before snowfall I need to drive the SE through "winter". (Couple of snowflocks we have here they are calling winter ...) Since we are required by law to use all season or M&S tyres I need to put some appropriate rubber on it :)

I checked tirendo (thanks escape) and they do have the fronts in 205 instead 215, 205/50R15 (http://www.tirendo.co.uk/hankook-i-cept-evo-w310-m-s-mfs-205-50-r15-86h-118602.html)

And the rears although size 235 instead of 245, 235/60R16 (http://www.tirendo.co.uk/hankook-i-cept-evo-w310-m-s-235-60-r16-100h-119103.html)

Is this a working combination ? Or does anyone have better advise ?

Thanks for your feedback.

Brgds

Steven

have not seen any for the 15/16" wheels with matching front and rears for years. Seems there are only summer performance available in these sizes. Currently running Proxes 4's matching, but they are apparently out of production and summer only, and death on wet roads. You might be out of luck. Even for my 17/18" Saturns, there seems to be only one matching tire out there now, the Sumitomo's but crap in water and cold as well, and only W rated.

Yes, the original dimensions is not available for winter/all season tires. But thats OK since they are only on required for a couple of months. Technically I am not allowed to use a different size than OEM but the cops dont care about dimensions they just check if they are winter/all season and thats it. Technical inspection will be next year with summer tires of course :)

I might check with my local tire shop and see if I can use the winter Hankooks with a slightly different size than OEM.