Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
1979 Yellow Lotus Eclat: My project thread - Page 16 - Projects & Restorations - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

1979 Yellow Lotus Eclat: My project thread

soldave

Update time, and potentially "I knew it!" time for a few people. Started the car up again this evening and 13.75V at the battery once more. I then went to the alternator and checked the voltage from the output post at the bottom left of the alternator. 14.45V. Interesting!

Went to the starter solenoid then which was the end of the to thick brown wires going from alternator to check voltage. 13.75V. Battery off and spade connectors off the alternator. Well, tried. The lower one only came off after destroying the rubber sheath and the terminal underneath, although being only 11 months old, looked like it had seen better days (see pic below).

So my thinking is to get ring connectors and try hooking up those two thick brown wires that way. My only 2 questions are:
1. Am I OK connecting both wires to the same ring terminal? Sounds a silly question but am asking as the spade connectors are very well insulated from each other.
2. There are two ring terminals on the alternator. One is currently covered by a rubber cover and is thinner than the other. I'm guessing I'll be connecting to the thicker terminal that's uncovered on the left hand side, but a sense check would be good.

End in sight for this possible issue maybe! Knowing my luck probably not, but you never know!
2017-06-20%2022.16.24_zpsasiunlzf.jpg
2017-06-22%2018.56.21_zps5llpy557.jpg

34 minutes ago, Trunnion 74 said:

Bet you're a very happy bunny!  Had every confidence you would sort it.   :respect:

What is it showing on the dash?

Will take a photo, but off the top of my head, between 13 and 15V on the dash :)

Clive - be more positive.

Done and dusted. There doesn't have to be a 'next' :lol:

Given the CC mantra of adding lightness, you have to wonder why the dash had an 'over panel' in the first place?

• Like 1

Is the price for that bit in Yen or £?

2 hours ago, oilmagnet477 said:

Given the CC mantra of adding lightness, you have to wonder why the dash had an 'over panel' in the first place?

Maybe it was never supposed to have one.  Perhaps it was the marketing department who decide it needed an 'over panel' to make it look "more upmarket".  After all it does look like an after thought......

Friday afternoon.

"Right we've decided we'll put a panel over it to finish it off"

"Jenkins! how are we goint to secure it" ?

"Dunno sir, stickle bricks" ??

"Capital idea Jenkins! Right who's coming to the pub??....

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Not too much a huge amount to report on the Lotus front as it's been some pretty enjoyable and uneventful driving. But maybe something you folks can give me some advice on.

When I take my foot off the accelerator, especially with the revs over 2,500-3,000rpm, I can hear a burble as the engine decelerates. It's not popping/banging, but I can definitely hear something when the revs are coming down under engine braking. If it was my old Evo, I'd say it was overfuelling on deceleration, and would just need the fuelling/timing maps altered a little, but I'm not sure if that would be an accurate diagnosis on the Lotus.

Anyone have any thoughts on what could be causing it?

On 8/12/2017 at 23:15, soldave said:

Not too much a huge amount to report on the Lotus front as it's been some pretty enjoyable and uneventful driving. But maybe something you folks can give me some advice on.

When I take my foot off the accelerator, especially with the revs over 2,500-3,000rpm, I can hear a burble as the engine decelerates. It's not popping/banging, but I can definitely hear something when the revs are coming down under engine braking. If it was my old Evo, I'd say it was overfuelling on deceleration, and would just need the fuelling/timing maps altered a little, but I'm not sure if that would be an accurate diagnosis on the Lotus.

Anyone have any thoughts on what could be causing it?

Perhaps your diagnosis is correct but you can't remap it of course. Embrace it, after all your paying for the fuel. 

2 hours ago, CharlieCroker said:

Embrace the noise, I try to do ot as much as I can on down shift, I love that burble, bring it on!

50 minutes ago, mikeeech said:

Perhaps your diagnosis is correct but you can't remap it of course. Embrace it, after all your paying for the fuel. 

Oh I don't mind the burble if it's pretty normal! I'm probably just paranoid the carbs or ignition are not tuned correctly. I guess I'll just drive on and enjoy it!

33 minutes ago, silverfrost said:

Dave people pay good money to have their cars tuned to spit and pop on overrun :)

Very true, and I do like a good burble. Can't stand popping and banging though - very chavvy in my humble opinion but probably my experiences of it are Vauxhall Novas or Golfs! One of the things that even the crazily tuned cars on the street in Japan I saw, hardly anyone did as it may bother people.

Takes different stroked to move the world though :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

A couple more shows visited since August (see pic below), and now thoughts go forward to the Christmas break. As well a a new front under spoiler, and possibly both professional detailing to bring the paintwork right up, and timing belt cover, the main bit of maintenance I have to perform is a timing belt swap. I'm thinking the following would be needed:

Question is, instead of just the bearing, should I get the whole cambelt tensioner overhaul kit (SJ510), which includes bearing, piston, two bushings and tensioner earth strap? It's another 20 odd pounds for the kit but just wondering what others do.

59da67186a1c9_2017-09-1514_40.08-3.jpg.b42b762a8b95e91be453d44e1d91ec5d.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Dave, 

Good to see you are still maintaining a high profile with the car, nice photo!

If it was me i would go for the whole tensioner overhaul kit, it's only another £20 and you have the peace of mind that all is as it should be.  I'm sure it will be  money well spent ;)

Roland

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Well my attempts to remove the front shocks and springs for inspection failed today. Around five hours of taking things apart and trying to compress the springs and I was getting nowhere. I suspect a lack of right tools and skills were to blame. Spent another two hours putting everything together after giving it up as a bad job, If I go back to it in the near future it will have to be with better equipment and/or a better gameplan.

Quite disappointed with a wasted day, but you live and learn.

59fe42a667ad2_2017-11-0413_27_17.jpg.d7496253ac0c6a9e57006c46d497840e.jpg

19 hours ago, oilmagnet477 said:

Dave,

As discussed on other threads - I do have an original Lotus Front spring compressor which you'd be welcome to borrow if you are ever this way...it is fking heavy though!

I do appreciate that. Given it up as a bad job for now though. Still have plenty through the winter to keep me going and make sure I'm not bored though :)

• 1 month later...

Timing belt changed as you may have seen from a couple of technical threads and the first shakedown drive since this morning. No problems at all so very pleased with that ?. One thing about the Lotus though is that you can tell early on if the roads are slippery. Just got to the end of my street and the steering felt so light; almost as of the power assisted steering worked well!!!

Christmas presents for the car will be ordered today in the form of a reverse switch for the gearbox, a front under spoiler and maybe even a fibreglass plate that the intake pipe connects to.

Also getting her professionally detailed in the new year. A week-long job but I think the effects are going to be massive in the looks department. Exciting times ahead!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oilmagnet477 said:

Sounds good Dave. What is a 'reverse switch for the gearbox'?

By that I just meant the switch that goes into the back of the box so when you engage reverse gear it will complete the circuit and turn on the reverse light. SJ have started stocking them in the past few months.

• Like 1

Just a quick note on your voltage output at the alternator and battery. That is a very good battery at 13.75. And the alternator always gives out 14 plus volts but your battery will never get or stay that high if it is a 12 volt in my experience.

• Like 1