Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
delco brakes get them working successfully and well - Page 7 - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

delco brakes get them working successfully and well

Thanks Darren, I look forward to a final solution to the switch problem and really hope you can pull it off after all the hard work and testing you have done to help us fellow S4 owners.

I don't want to hijack this thread so this will be my last post until I have something relevent to say, but for anyone reading this in the future I have another short follow-on video showing my test with the new accumulator connected up.

http://youtu.be/X1FPgZ_wVMs

As you can see my pressure switch is obviously still faulty, but the new accumulator has made a significant difference to the operation of the brakes:

Initial ABS pump run time from completely depressurised:
44 secs down to 23 secs !! :thumbsup:

Accumulator precharge pressure:
500 PSI up to 1200 PSI

Pump runs:

Every press, up to every 3 presses of the pedal :clap:

I haven't got it fully back together yet so don't know if I will feel a noticeable difference at the pedal while driving, but I suspect that even if the initial bite is no better, the car will stop quicker and feel safer overall.

Thanks,

Mark.

1994 Lotus Esprit S4  &  2016 Tesla Model S P90D

Nice one Darren, as mentioned in PM keep the main details under your hat and re coup your time and money investment, I'll be your first customer. Keep up the good work and see you at TLF meet.

Wayne

Suspension, brakes, chipped, chargecooler rad and pump,injectors,ignition coils and leads, BOV, highflow cat and zorst, Translator and tie rods, Head lights, LEDs to tail lights and interior,Polybushes to entire front end, Rad fans, rad grill, front end refurb with aluminium spreaderplates and galvanised bolts. Ram air, uprated fuel pump, silicone hoses through out, wheels refurbed and powder coated,much more, all maintenance.

Well done that man, keeping the cars on the road is worth the effort - shafting Matty is pure bonus.  :thumbsup:

Cheers,

John W

I look forward to seeing how Darren gets on with his prototype - it is surely a labour of love!

I bought the system from Australia and Gerald at GST fitted it and a new accumulator to the car. All I can say is - WOW! What a transformation to the braking. And of course - no flashing light! I am so thrilled that the brakes match the car now. Completely agree about the difference the accumulator makes. Interesting that before the new accumulator - it took 70 pedal presses to discharge and now it takes 40. Is that the way to tell if your accumulator needs replacing?

Not really. The best way to tell us with a test pressure gauge fitted and observe the initial pressure as soon as the pump begins running from a depressurised system. That coupled along with how well it increases the pressure..ie does it appear to struggle a little initially..and the pedal feel itself. A little soft on the pedal could indicate a worn accumulator even if the switch was running the system up to correct pressures. And sometimes t h e number of pedal presses inbetween the pump running...all are symptoms.

It may be that the capacity or pressure rating of your old and new accumulator are different. Out of curiosity do you still have the old one to check against the new one?

Interesting. I think what you described was my brakes all over. The accumulator has certainly made a difference. 3 days on and no flashing light. I was shown the old accumulator earlier - but didn't make any note of differences.

• 4 weeks later...

Above is a picture of all three switches, the original unit top left, the previous replacement to control the pump functioning is central, and the new wonder switch bottom right. I still have a thread adapter attached to the original switch as I used this as my low pressure warning light controller, hence why its a bit bigger than normal.

The new switch will require an adapter to fit pump body,however as there is only one switch being fitted, the requirement for an array or t-piece adapters and pipework isn't there as it was with the previous two switch solution, which mean instillation space is less and its a much neater fitment. Also, the wiring on the new switch is a smaller cylindrical fitment, unlike the previous one which is a larger block.

Excellent news, put me down for one as soon as you are ready to start supplying them :)

• Like 1

1994 Lotus Esprit S4  &  2016 Tesla Model S P90D

Nice one Darren, thank god for people with your level of perseverance.  As per our pm chat I thought I may have had a dicky switch which was causing my ABS light to come on, but decided on a stepped approach to sort the issue.  Due to the fact the low pre charge was showing as a fault code I ordered a new accumulator from the USA which arrived yesterday.  Due to the great exchange rate at the moment I suggest anyone who needs one orders it now.  Including shipping, tax and the unit just £101, much cheaper than here.  As Darren said earlier you just need a copper sump plug washer to seal it (£1.40 for three). 

I fitted the new accumulator today and bingo no ABS light, and the pump runs every 6th pedal press, rather than every one before.  So for now all sorted, but its comforting to know should the switch fail we now have a viable alternative.  Thanks again Darren.

Hey Gasmang, I had the same issue with my car and replaced the accumulator, pump runs at the normal rate again now 6 peddle pushes, however you will probably find that the system is running way under its normal operating pressure because the old switch is tired. This was the case with mine. As Darren suggests in the thread install a pressure gauge and see what you are actually achieving.

Great work Darren

Regards

Wayne

Suspension, brakes, chipped, chargecooler rad and pump,injectors,ignition coils and leads, BOV, highflow cat and zorst, Translator and tie rods, Head lights, LEDs to tail lights and interior,Polybushes to entire front end, Rad fans, rad grill, front end refurb with aluminium spreaderplates and galvanised bolts. Ram air, uprated fuel pump, silicone hoses through out, wheels refurbed and powder coated,much more, all maintenance.

Great news.

I'm assuming the switch will be preset pressures, if so can it be guaranteed that the setting will work for every Esprit?

I have the Lotus Marques replacement switch on my car, although the switches were preset, the settings didn't work for my car. Once I fitted a gauge I was able to adjust the pressures and the switches were fine then.

Edited by OwenGT3

With regards above comments, accumulators are available in the uk for the same price. £100 including delivery. No fluctuations on price for exchange rates and they can be with you next day..

The switch is pre programmed correctly and there is no function nor requirement for adjustment. As mentioned it is a much better unit than previous and doesnt rely on pressure diaphragms for its internals (this is why you were able to adjust the upper hysteresis as it was set wrong from oz). This ensures its life span will greatly outweigh anything else and its consistency and reliability is second to none.

All the esprits using this delco system run at the same pressure..s4 s4s sport300 uk usa europe etc. They all use the same units the same fitments. The only difference is the side the steering wheel (and thusly the brake booster unit) is located on.

Darren,

Thanks for all your excellent work on this topic, I've been following it closely.  I'm definitely interested in buying one of the replacement switches if they become available.

Cheers,

Trevor

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

I could do with a bit of advice on my S4s brakes.  I must start with the admission I have not used the car for 6 months.. :getmecoat:

Last week I ran it up the road for a MOT and it passed no problems.  Yesterday I decided to take it for a run locally and found the brake performance to be poor, but just assumed it was down to lack of use.  After a few stops from speed, I noticed the brake warning light (not the ABS, the combined parking / brake warning light) comes on during braking and then goes off just after the brakes are released.  The ABS seems to cut in normally & the ABS light does not come on.  Over 2 test drives I braked hard probably 20 times, the light also came on with fairly gentle braking (no ABS).

The manual says this light comes on when low pressure is detected during braking.

Fluid level looks OK, but the rear reservoir is a bit cloudy / milky (the workshop manual says this is normal due to sealants / lubricants used in the initial assembly, but as the car is 18 years old that does not seem likely as they should have been washed out years ago).

Any ideas what to check?  It was working fine when I last used the car.  Its always been services by Gerald at GST performance so sure fluids have been changed on schedule etc.

Plug in Espritmon mate and you'll see the ABS error codes. That's the best bet initially.

I have a really old (RS232 interface) but I thought that only did engine codes not ABS?

Looked in the online shop to see if you now sell a shiny new USB version but could not find one?

Speak to Chris (internets) on here, he'll supply a cable and have a read of this...

http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/57219-espritmon-update/

You're thinking of Freescan, Espritmon is Freescan on steroids just after a trip to the gym :)

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.