Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Silly Question - Car Washing (V6 Cup - Matte Paint) - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Silly Question - Car Washing (V6 Cup - Matte Paint)

Hi,

I've been a long time lurker and have really enjoyed reading all the forums. A wealth of information which eventually drove me to update my old Elise R for a new V6 Cup. But I could not find anything specifically about caring for the matte panels.

The car is only 2 weeks old but now with all the bad weather it is in need of a good wash. I have never owned a car with matte paint before and have heard mixed reports of what you should and should not do.

Seems like a silly question, but any advice on how best to wash the matte panels? Can you use wash and wax car wash? Or should you use normal car wash? I'm guessing liquid polish is also out of the question.

Thanks!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

have you tried asking Lotus, they would be the obvious way to go for me, they should be able to recommend whats best.

Just wash it with whatever is your favorite and I was given a can of foam cleanser for the matt parts when done, if needed. Think anything like Amberclense is good.

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

There are specially formulated products for use on matte or satin finishes (whether paint or wraps). Products include wash, quick detail and wax.  All formulated to not "shine" up the finish, yet leave it with that new car matte paint sheen/patina. ;)

Interesting read here .... http://www.drbeasleys.com/blog/2012/05/05/matte-paint-finish-myths/

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige V6 CupR
Track videos ... http://www.youtube.com/jackcup
2010 Lotus Challenge Series ULTRA Class champion
2012 Lotus CUP USA OPEN Class champion

Congrats and welcome to TLF.

I just wash the car with Swissvax Car Bath but any old car foam wash will do. But don't go anywhere near it with any sort of wax or polish.

I've also used Nanolex matt cleaner and sealant but not too impressed so far to be honest. Not convinced it does much. But if the matt panels are clean they look just how they're meant to anyway so not sure of the benefits of sealants and the like.

I've just bought some of this to try:

http://www.swissvax.co.uk/view_products/opaque_range/2

Will let you know if I think it's any better when I next wash the car.

There are a lot of products sold here for matte paint car ... http://www.chemicalguys.com/Matte_Plastidip_Paint_Vinyl_Care_s/342.htm

I've been using this product and it works well ..... http://www.chemicalguys.com/Meticulous_Matte_Detailer_16_oz_p/spi_995_16.htm

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige V6 CupR
Track videos ... http://www.youtube.com/jackcup
2010 Lotus Challenge Series ULTRA Class champion
2012 Lotus CUP USA OPEN Class champion

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

Sounds like normal car wash is the way to go for now. I did ask the Lotus dealer about it but they weren't particular helpful. Great link about the myths of matte cars! Must admit I thought some of them were true.

The Pits, I would be really interested to hear how the Swissvax products work out.

• 2 months later...
  • Gold FFM

Welcome to TLF Jason. :welcome:

You should duck over to the Introductions thread as well.

Congrats on the V6. :thumbup:

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

I'm a very keen detailer and might be able to help as well :)

If I were me, I'd buy a decent PH neutral shampoo (one that doesn't have carnauba wax mixed in it) as this should keep the plastic from becoming too shiny. Something like Wolfs White Satin is very good (don't worry, it isn't for white cars, it's just that the suds are very white and clean!).

Once you've washed it, I would use a decent detailing spray to bring it up and give it some protection (this will be light protection but it will do the job well). The detailing spray I'm currently using is superb for body work and plastics and is called Bouncers Done & Dusted. You can buy it here if you're interested - http://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/bouncers-done-and-dusted-quick-detailer-and-gloss-enhancer.php

Please note that I have no affiliation with this site, I'm just a customer that has used them before. This particular detailing spray has won various awards on the Detailing World site and I used it for the first time a few weeks ago and it is absolutely superb.

Another product that is very good on plastics is a product called Revive by Auto Finesse. It also gives a layer of protection and will bring plastic up looking like new (no more faded greys).

More details on that product here - http://shop.autofinesse.co.uk/revive-250ml

Hope this helps :)

Edited by ChrisBuer
  • Like 1

Thanks Chris. Those products look great.

I have been using a car wash without the carnauba wax mixed in. But I have also been using Turtle Ice polish afterwards. So far so good and the finish looks great. But not sure if after a while it might have a negative impact on the matte panels.

Bouncer looks like a much better product and I think I'll use that from now on.

Thanks Chris. Those products look great.

I have been using a car wash without the carnauba wax mixed in. But I have also been using Turtle Ice polish afterwards. So far so good and the finish looks great. But not sure if after a while it might have a negative impact on the matte panels.

Bouncer looks like a much better product and I think I'll use that from now on.

I personally wouldn't use polish on matte finishes as they tend to have abrasives in to remove fine marks and swirls. Some even have fillers in, depends on the product.

Like I say, if it were my car, I'd simply look to keep it clean and then wipe it down with a decent detailing spray. Bouncers Done & Dusted is very good as you can use it everywhere, on plastics or body work. It also smells incredible.

I used it last week on my wifes car that has a number of matte plastic sections on and it brought it up really well. In fact the car is still gleaming after a weeks' worth of use!

Still haven't used the Swissvax matt products on my car yet. I don't want to put the car away without driving it to blow all the water out and dry the brakes etc, so I'm leaving it covered in dust until the roads dry out. It's driving me mad!

I've had another idea for a very good product that you can use on the plastic sections that will protect it and also stop it being shiny. I don't know why I didn't think of it yesterday

It's called Dressle and can be used on the interior and exterior of the car. I've use this and it is utterly superb!!

Details here:

http://shop.autofinesse.co.uk/dressle-500ml

This description sums it up:

Dressle’s highly-concentrated water based surface enhancers work by adhering to plastic, vinyl or rubber trim and coating them with a water repellent UV block, that is dry to the touch and leaves a satin “new look” sheen that helps protect the surface from aging, drying or cracking, whilst adding to its visual appearance.

Edited by ChrisBuer

Looks like there could be a TLF detailing afternoon at Chris's coming up. Sort of bring a detailing spray bottle party :)

Haha don't tempt me. This was my garage a month ago and I've added to it more since then. I've also got my flooring going down soon as well :)

GEleZxJ.png

yQaApGM.png

1Nc0zaV.png

Edited by ChrisBuer
  • Like 1