Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Look what Q has brought for us. Isn't it nice ? - Page 9 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Look what Q has brought for us. Isn't it nice ?

• 4 months later...
  • Gold FFM
15 minutes ago, v39 said:

It runs!

IMG_0003.MOV

Oh my god - I'm so jealous - the colour...... :wub:

@jonroberts car from a magazine in the 1990s was the fantasy car for me

• Thanks 1

Only here once

• 1 year later...

Update on the Protech dampers.

So, just over 2 years to the day after fitting the Protech's all round, the nearside front damper has failed - almost no damping action regardless of the adjustment knob.

I've emailed Protech support to see if they will honour their 3 year warranty as claimed on their website, as SJ (where I bought them from) only state a 2 year warranty..

Will report once Protech respond ...

• Like 2

14 hours ago, jonroberts said:

Update on the Protech dampers.

So, just over 2 years to the day after fitting the Protech's all round, the nearside front damper has failed - almost no damping action regardless of the adjustment knob.

I've emailed Protech support to see if they will honour their 3 year warranty as claimed on their website, as SJ (where I bought them from) only state a 2 year warranty..

Will report once Protech respond ...

Sounds about right! I've had to return 2 to the supplier for failing within a year or two of fitting.

Pete

• Sad 1

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

This isn't good news. Especially when mine were purchased in November 2016 for a full restoration and won't be put on the road until later this year. However, the DVLA and my extensive photographs  will corroborate this. If they fail within 3 years of road use and they do not honour their guarantee I'll be quoting them my statutory rights under UK law. My two everyday cars have done 135,000 & 170,000 miles without damper failure.

I have a feeling Protech will honour their 3 year warranty,  They have a good place in the market and have a very good rep,   which i would like to think they would like to keep.   Seems strange though that Protech offer 3 years and yet SJ only offer 2 years warranty ?  

Cheap for protech also, as failure will just mean they need to pop new seals in and refill with fluid, so not a great expense to them, every now ad again things will fail, it is inevitable on mass produced stuff :)

A

It is odd that SJ and Protech offer different warranties. Perhaps SJ's is more generic, and not specific to this product?

A warranty is only the sellers guarantee, and does not limit a consumer's rights.

Given that this post relates to a classic car which has very few miles per annum, even regardless of ageing seals, these items should not fail in normal use for many years.

Anything can fail regarding it been brand new or not,  it will always happen and nothing will  ever change  that imo.

Could of been a poorly manufactured seal made in batches of thousands,  so murphys law states a few will not be top notch, slighlty over machined alloy inner shock, maybe the machine picked up to much swarf or built up melted residue on the cutter, or maybe just a seal got snagged when the unit was been built up by hand.      :)

A

Of course, but the point I'm making @silverfox is that a manufacturer's warranty is not the limiting factor regarding the expected lifetime before failure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jonroberts said:

Top marks to Protech. I had an email reply from them at 8am this morning stating to return both front dampers to them. Free of charge repair to the failed one and a check and repair if required to the other. Makes a pleasing change to get a quick and customer focused response. I’ll drop the dampers out next week and send them away. 

Result!

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Good effort.

SU replaced a couple of new pumps last year when they failed due to a loosening grub screw fault. I'll remind Protech if mine fail in the coming years.

What were the symptoms @jonroberts?

(I've never had a damper fail)

1 hour ago, Fridge said:

What were the symptoms @jonroberts?

A very noticeable nose dip on the nearside front on braking. Doing a 'bounce' test by pressing down on the wings offered no damping on that side - it was possible to bounce the front easily - whereas the right hardly bounced at all. Screwing the adjustment screw all the way in on both dampers as a test had the offside hard as a rock, but no change at all to the nearside. 

• Like 1