Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Bonnet to heater plenum seal - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Bonnet to heater plenum seal

The oval foam one that sits over the plenum. This now looks to be obsolete, anyone have any alternative ideas? I am assuming it needs to be a closed cell sponge of some kind.

P/N is A082U7304F or 7305F depending on whether it's 20mm or 25mm thick that is required.

Margate Exotics.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I found a profile similar to this. I stuck it to  an alloy template a little wider than the base of the rubber, and then the template was attached to the bonnet with double sided tape. Did it quite a few years ago and no problems since.

SealsDirect1.jpg

DanR

I replaced mine a few years back with the original.  Its just a low density closed cell foam.  I'd just buy some sticky backed stuff (German Tesa tape).  Or you could go with DanR's option which is an EPDM sponge extrusion.  Both cheap solutions.  

Simon  (94 S4)      My Esprit will be for sale in late 2017

Bought some foam from ebay and cut one out. Couldn't get black foam though.

Does the job. Admittedly looks a bit Mmmmmm!

Wayne

post-16074-0-33407200-1423162263.jpg

post-16074-0-53575400-1423162276.jpg

Suspension, brakes, chipped, chargecooler rad and pump,injectors,ignition coils and leads, BOV, highflow cat and zorst, Translator and tie rods, Head lights, LEDs to tail lights and interior,Polybushes to entire front end, Rad fans, rad grill, front end refurb with aluminium spreaderplates and galvanised bolts. Ram air, uprated fuel pump, silicone hoses through out, wheels refurbed and powder coated,much more, all maintenance.

Yes, I see what you mean: It does have a bit of the 'Al Jolson's lips' look about it!

I did contact Easyfoam, and they told me they would have to get a template made to reproduce that oval shape, and of course that's when the costs start to rise. And as you've found, getting a decent edge is virtually impossible on foam. I don't know what the answer is for this one yet.

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

I bought some 25mm x 15mm self adhesive backed foam strip from an auto jumble towards the end of last year.  I think it was around £3 a metre and used that to seal the aperture.  It was easy to curve around the hole and looks ok in my opinion.

Black too :)

Lotusbonnetseal.jpg

Al Jolson? Ha ha ha ha ha. Never realised. Your right. Ha ha ha ha!!

Might put some eyes on it and a pair of jazz hands.

:-)

Suspension, brakes, chipped, chargecooler rad and pump,injectors,ignition coils and leads, BOV, highflow cat and zorst, Translator and tie rods, Head lights, LEDs to tail lights and interior,Polybushes to entire front end, Rad fans, rad grill, front end refurb with aluminium spreaderplates and galvanised bolts. Ram air, uprated fuel pump, silicone hoses through out, wheels refurbed and powder coated,much more, all maintenance.

I bought some 25mm x 15mm self adhesive backed foam strip from an auto jumble towards the end of last year. I think it was around £3 a metre and used that to seal the aperture. It was easy to curve around the hole and looks ok in my opinion.

Black too :)

Lotusbonnetseal.jpg

Looks good to me. Is that 25mm deep, and 15 wide? I did look for some tape, but coudlnt find any 20-25 mm thick.

Margate Exotics.

Interesting.

The Lotus parts book lists two versions, 20 & 25mm thick as required. When I bought the car, the seal was missing, so I have no idea what it should be. Given the hand-built nature, the gap could be anything.

But I suppose it would be sensible to somehow measure the gap that needs bridging. Maybe put some lumps of plasticine down at various points where the seal should go, and then shut the bonnet.

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

I have yhe same issue. Mine's dead. Someone told me that Clark Rubber have a comparable foam. I've just never got there. :getmecoat:

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

When I did mine I used a closed cell foam sleeping mat from a camping shop. Cut it out in one complete unit a put it in with Evostick Adhesive. I would have thought the difference between 20 and 25mm would take up in compression as the bonnet is closed. So 25mm would be the preferred option.