Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Radiator cooling fans 1991 esprit turbo - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Radiator cooling fans 1991 esprit turbo

Barrykearley

• Gold FFM

I've stripped my rad out as its leaking and it's being recored to a three row unit.

The old fans are in a disgraced heap of broken smashed plastic and rust.

I have three very lovely new hi flow units to fit in....... But......I don't like the idea of smoke from the wiring. So before I wire these up to the existing loom - does anyone know the rating of the existing fiesta ones?

My new units are 12v 80w fans

Anyone know ??

Thanks Barry

Only here once

• Gold FFM

Fan wiring all lovely - I've seen some posts about that - do I need to update it for my new blowers....

Will stick in a manual over-ride switch with relay - just in case......

Only here once

mine fans died of under use as the AC leaks away fairly swiftly after re-charge.

sorted the fans and the loom was dire. every wire was tired, crumbled away and green inside what was left of the insulation. rewired using the original multiplug and new bits the fans ends. then as you say an override dash switch to cycle the fans even in the winter, also heating the garage up a bit on landing back home!

sounds like some sums are required for the new fans just in case.

Edited by pitstoppete

The standard fans are fused at 10A each. This should be plenty for the 80W fans you plan to install (80W =~7A). Provided the wires and connectors are in good condition and don't add resistance to the circuit.

The easiest way to add a manual override for the fans is by tapping into the BO (later KU) wire from the rad fan relay to the AC. No need for an extra relay.

I have used the output from the switch for the rear heated screen, as I never use that anyway and the icon does have some relevance.

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

• Gold FFM

Filip

Thanks very much for that - I have a non connected rear screen heater as well - for reasons unknown at this stage - so sounds like a plan

What is BO ? Black/orange? And what is KU?

Thanks - and sorry for what seems like a numpty question - but cars on a ramp elsewhere and can't look until tomorrow

Thanks

Barry

Only here once

Hi Barry.  On the top of the wiring diagrams in the Workshop Manual you will find the colour coding for Lucas wiring :

post-3309-0-35961100-1424802063.png

So KU is Pink with a Blue 'tracer' colour.

Cheers and good luck with the new purchase !

Jon. 

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Jon

Thanks very much for that. New radiator in hand - but no fans

Good old parcelfarce left a card .......

Until tomorrow!!!

The workshop manual - is it available on PDFs or is it an Amazon purchase

Cheers

Barry

Only here once

I have a hardcopy that came with my car, they are available legitimately from Lotus and of dubious background (including PDF copies) on eBay.   I believe as a full forum member you get access to the Parts Manuals free of charge in the downloads section of the Forum - I don't think the Workshop Manual is available though.

Filip

Thanks very much for that - I have a non connected rear screen heater as well - for reasons unknown at this stage - so sounds like a plan

What is BO ? Black/orange? And what is KU?

Thanks - and sorry for what seems like a numpty question - but cars on a ramp elsewhere and can't look until tomorrow

Thanks

Barry

Not a numpty question at all, I'm so used to working on British cars and using the electrical manuals that the wire codes are normal 'speech' for me. ;-)

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

• Gold FFM

It's all back together today. New 3 core unit and 3 new hi flow fans.

Not wired the manual switch yet - but it's running lovely with the new rad.

I haven't seen the wiring diagram as yet - but do you just ground out the ku/ BO wire?

Cheers

Barry

Only here once

It's all back together today. New 3 core unit and 3 new hi flow fans.

Not wired the manual switch yet - but it's running lovely with the new rad.

I haven't seen the wiring diagram as yet - but do you just ground out the ku/ BO wire?

Cheers

Barry

No, you need to apply 12V to the KU or BO wire (BO on the relay changes to KU after the diode). The output from the rear heated screen switch is also 12V, on a WK (white-pink) wire (to the relay).

Filip