Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
I have no charge cooler at all...... I feel..... small - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

I have no charge cooler at all...... I feel..... small

Is it a worthwhile to add a charge cooler to my vehicle?  What else would I have to modify to put one on if it is worthwhile?

My car does not have on at all. Even my Rabbit with the Callaway turbo kit has a tiny intercooler.

I saw on a few of the posts that people are putting aftermarket charge coolers on their cars so I was hoping I might be able to score a factory charge cooler. (I like to keep this vehicle stock or at least stock looking.) 

I'm happy with the performance of my car (I don't need this one to go fast) but I'm thinking the charge cooler might be good for it and help increase longevity.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 89 Esprit intake air sensor is before the turbo.  The 89SE with chargecooler has it after the chargecooler so that the ECU knows the actual temp of the air going in the engine.

You'd need all the chargecooler bits, plus a recalibrated ECU with sensor after the intercooler.  Plus probably fuel enrichment in the form of bigger injectors and different ECU programming....

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

^^ Travis is correct.

The opinion over the years has been, if you want the extra HP that a Chargecooler provides, it's better to trade up to an S4s or S4.

I bet Callaway didn't install the intercooler on the opposite end of the Rabbit from the engine?  You see the difficulty...

Pack the intake with dry ice if you want a temporary power boost, LOL.

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

I think the SE has different piston crowns to the standard non charge cooled turbo, to deal with extra heat.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

I don't think a charge cooler will make the motor last longer. If you're not interested in extra power then I think the only benefit you would get is added safety from detonation. If you're car was designed without a charge cooler and it's in a good state of tune, I can't see this being much of a risk.

Just make sure your fuel delivery system is in good order and you'll be fine