Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Intercooler update on V6 - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Intercooler update on V6

Does anyone has tried to install an intercooler to the V6?

I guess that this is the most important thing to have a stable performance on track, with or without power update.

Even I know, companies like KomoTec could install a power upgrade, but I fear, that this will last only for a short time until the system heats up.

My Porsche experience shows, that increasing the power is easy, to keep the power stable is quiet more difficult.

Looking forward to your ideas.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

There are many ways to step forward, but I would like to have at first air inlet under control. This is basic engineering.

All other modifies could go on top. Even more as we all know, that Lotus is going this way with the new xxx400 models.

It's not an issue for road use. 

Interestingly the Swindon tuned 500bhp race V6 that I keep banging on about here, doesn't have an intercooler either. They said it has been properly mapped to work at high temps. I didn't know that was an option before. And if you haven't heard of Swindon before, they really know what they're doing. Lotus also paid for the development.

http://www.swindon-engines.com/uk/enginesinfo.aspx

• Like 1

Nothing strange there, I've been wondering if Komotec or someone would develop an intercooler for the V6. There were some chargecooler kits for the 4 cyl Exige. Now we know the factory have done one for the Evora and it will find its way into an Exige hopefully before the end of the year.

I like Bibs's idea of a water spray, some of the japanese cars like the Mitsubishi Evo and Subaru Impreza Sti had those and I always liked the idea. I did have a 22B a while ago but I don't remember the water spray doing much. I never checked if there was any water in the tank though!

Having run my V6 on a very hot day at the 'Ring and also at Spa I couldn't notice any obvious drop-off in power and the GT3s weren't getting away on the straights, so I haven't experienced anything that would be worth the expense of fitting an intercooler yet. The extra power does appeal though. Keeping up with GT3s is one thing. I'd like to breeze past them!

Interesting that the factory chargecooler adds 55bhp but only 10lbs/ft of torque. I'd have expected a chargecooler to produce more extra torque than power. It might be torque limited for the sake of the gearbox, they have to think about 100,000+ mileages....

You were there Trevor with your Cup, it was roasting that weekend, did you notice any power drop off? Hard to tell with Mike on board though I'll wager! ;)

I talked to Daniel at Komotec about the charge cooler. They have built a prototype and easily got 460 HP. Unfortunately it hasen't progressed a lot since then, apparently the EV410 and EV430 upgrades are keeping them busy as it is.

But I am on the waitinglist (for my new Evora GTE).

• Like 1

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

You were there Trevor with your Cup, it was roasting that weekend, did you notice any power drop off? Hard to tell with Mike on board though I'll wager! ;)

Don't mention Spa, lots of friends going out 21-22 March and I can't make it so trying to forget what a great time can be had there :-) now you mention it I did notice that the car was possibly over furling or backing off on the timing when buried in the Wilton. As I lifted to change gear there was a definite pick up just off of wide open. Didn't attribute it to the heat at the time.

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

I can definitely confirm the power loss at high temperatures for the Evora running with the Komotec EV430. It becomes quite noticeably. 

Maybe we should do a group buy to accelerate Komotec's work on the charge cooler. 

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

Thank you Thomas. Has Komotec an estimation about this?

Usually they take back the ignition angle if the airtemp. inside the inlet reaches a certain level.

This means, for getting the power stable on track a CC is necessary. (My conclusion ;) )