Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S2 resurrection after 25 years in storage - Page 2 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

S2 resurrection after 25 years in storage

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I have taken 100's of pics. Some may be relevant for people wanting to bring molested cars back to their original state etc. I'm happy to post some of them if people think it's appropriate. Maybe handy for owners in years to come. Just let me know as I don't want to peeve the administrators...

• Like 1

Use black 'suede' shoe dye to bring back the marcasite in the interior to it's original colour. Works a treat and as long as it's for suede shoes, the material stays furry. You'll be able to get an idea of the original colour on the underside of the glove box lid.

Like Antonio says, that's a lot of rust!

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

The rust isn't too bad actually. Just surface. Except for around the radiator and the seat rails.

Compared to some of the German cars of a similar era, this is a snap.

Not long before we have liftoff. Everything is unscrewed / disconnected except for the footwell bolts which are frozen solid.

Stripping things off the body and I found this... Ugh. Poor bumper.

Surely the plywood running inside the rear bumper is not original? Any pictures or advice would be greatly appreciated.

post-18969-0-17271900-1433162830.jpg

Regarding the two footwell bolts that attach the body to the chassis (one of which is under the brake pedal):

I've managed to remove the nut. But, how do you remove the bolt? Is it threaded through something? Mine appears to be frozen solid. I've tried gunning it & using a persuader. I've even tried taping it from under the car but it won't budge. I don't want to hit it hard with big Percy until I'm certain its just frozen with rust and not threaded. Can anyone help? Last step before the bodies off.

Also, any thoughts on the bumper situation?

Good Luck. I've put lots of info and pictures on here hope it helps you. I rebuilt the fuel system using a new SU pump. The Infos all on here and should save you many days of research. I spent more time researching that building the car! I have put the bolt sizes and type on my blog. Got my car in bits so never took it apart, that made it very difficult. Did you take the seat rails off? If so do you know the size and length? Cheers.

On my car the footwell bolt is just a threaded bolt that passes through the fiberglass and chasis with a nut on the end. If you removed the nut it must be caught on the chasis which is just a hole. If all else fails drill it out. I spent 1 HR 45 min drilling out the seatbelt bolt!

Thanks gents. Great info as always.

Got my sandblaster delivered today. After many resto's I vowed this time I would buy one to save turn around time and $. Works surprisingly well considering I only have a 2.75 compressor - very pleased.

I'm also thinking of doing my own plating. Has anyone here tried doing this at home?

Interesting. No rubber stopper and appears to be extended as far as it will go. Smaller head than the one on mine I wonder if it is original? Your car appears to be mostly intact so I'm guessing it is?

Its been played with IMO - the stopper does not appear to be correct. Send me a pic of yours? And, what's the issue? Striker not engaging?

A good trick is to put masking tape over the receiver to see the impression of where the male piece is striking.

• Gold FFM

It looks exactly the same as was on the early S3 I restored, one side was different from the other.

Mine's the same bolt but inverted. That way the thread doesn't catch. I took stopper off for the photo.

IMAG2215_zps8xq4hytd.jpg

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Any tips for removing the rear bolts on the pedal box? Spent a few hours trying to remove them and they won't budge.

Spanners won't fit as there isn't enough clearance between the bolt head and the side of the pedal box. Only the small socket set head will. And, only on the rhs. The lhs there isn't enough room to swing the ratchet.

Hi Paul. Which assembly?

I tried the same- socket, universal joint etc. broke the uni joint. It's so tight - impossible.

I've had friends try. Nightmare. Really stumped... Only thing stopping the body removal.... Next step is to drill access jokes through the body which I would really like to avoid.

Hi Roland, heater assembly for more access, i would buy another uj joint and give it another go, halfords do a set called halfords advanced, ive found them really good quality and you can buy them separately.