Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S2 resurrection after 25 years in storage - Page 36 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

S2 resurrection after 25 years in storage

from Steve:

“Good morning, 
We did have a supplier in the USA for something very similar to Marcasite, but they have stopped making it.  “

I’m in the same quandary as I was a couple of years ago. Cannot source a suitable covering. 
does anyone else have  recommendation please?

IMG_1036.jpeg.a1462295a70fa331aff4a4ff31011245.jpeg

• Sad 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I'll have a think.

I assume the seats and armrest coverings are damaged? If in reasonable shape I'd be inclined to repair them if you're wanting an original car as possible. Unless you can find an organisation that can replicate the high frequency welding.

All of the leather is in excellent condition and will be refurbished for that heritage flavour.

I’ve had a look around and Grey Alcantara looks like a close match. Things followed by Crypton Suede. Does the original fabric have any backing (I don’t have access to my interior - it’s coming out of storage next week).

Oh OK, so it was a half leather car? Great. That solves that problem. It'll come back up to new well once fed. So black I assume? In all the areas I mentioned, apart from the interior bulkhead and headlining?

That black nylon is available in the UK from most trimmers so I imagine that you've a source also.

I was told by my trimmer that the company who makes Alcantara has streamlined their range. It's high quality and expensive, but also a little too thick, even in its thinnest form.

Classic Ferraris like Dinos etc had 'mouse fur' which is still available. I'd be enquiring along those lines. The Dino's binnacle is perhaps even tighter than the Esprit's. If you can trim that, the rest will work too.

For what it's worth my trimmer is managing well enough with Alcantara, though he reports it to be quite a challenge stretching over the tighter curves due to limited stretch. Pieces done thus far look fabulous. My chap does many of the highest value cars coming out of restoration in the area, so properly skilled to cope.

I gathered up a sample or two of Krypton way back before choosing the Alcantara, found nothing quite right in terms of colour for my tastes.

Cheers

• Like 1

Alcantara is definitely quality, if only it was made in a thinner cross-section than even it's current thinest available it would probably solve our problems.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies.

Looks like Black Caviar Alcantara is the best match despite it being difficult to massage around corners. 

There is this option but it’s difficult to assess with the provided information. Go to the last two pics.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/126286859746?mkcid=16&;mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=o2c7BqSzSl-&sssrc=2047675&ssuid=o2c7BqSzSl-&widget_ver=artemis&media

Onwards and upwards.

• Like 1

My advice is, unless your retrim is imminent or you land on a batch of limited material that suits, then there's no need to rush. Research is the key. I began looking 3+ years ahead of pressing on with the trim stage.

Send for a decent sized sample before committing.

• Like 1

The interior is proving to be a bit of a head-scratcher. I'm trying to land on a fabric source & colour scheme.

Few comments:

• the correct scheme is fairly drab. The delivery certificate states the interior was Gunmetal Marcasite. This has faded to a lovely bottle green which I love. Shame. What are your thoughts?
  • I have narrowed the fabric source and colour scheme to the following:
    • Alcantara Style Slate Grey - foam backed (ASG)
    • Black Vinyl (BV)
    • Ribbed mid-grey roof lining (from S&J Sportscars) (GR)
  • I have marked up a summary of the parts that need to be recovered. Attached as a pdf

Any feedback?

Lotus interior.pdf

I believe the A-pillar trims are better in the same material as the dash and doors, leaving grey for the headliner and associated trims. That's what I concluded after researching what was to be found in the way of GG interiors shown in TLF. I 

IMG_3091.JPG

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I'll have a think abd contact my trimmer to see what he suggests. I need to call him anyway.

Have you seen the other S2 restoration thread that's just appeared? Similar discussion.

I'm pretty good at visualising ideas as I work in the creative industries, but some are less so inclined. Here's an S2 up for sale here which has had to be retrimmed. It may help you decide. Personally I do not like it, as it's very drab.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/771289667696050/

A pillar does look good thanks Steve. David that’s a great pic of the interior for that 2.2. If ii stick to my proposed scheme the roof will be light grey. I am doing my best to keep things original so it looks like drab it is 😔

IMG_0928.jpeg.c047af0b001d7fbaa312ac4bb919b27b.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

That looks like a very good attempt at keeping the interior as close to the original as possible, given the materials available. Obviously the brown and half cream leather option on the S1 and S2s etc. Any idea what was used to replace the Marcasite?

Pity the choke lever wasn't fitted as standard. It can be an awkward culprit. It is normally held from underneath the trim. I think the gear stick cuff is also a major feature of the Esprit. You see a lot of American cars which have it arranged in a more usual cone shape, when it should be folded back on itself. An odd arrangement, but one that works and a small thing that sets the car apart from all the others I feel.

The gunmetal cars were all black inside, though two different materials, which can be a bit overwhelming in such a small cabin. But having a black exterior the interior can't really be brown sadly. That would be a clash.

I can email you some photos that I have which may help, as I can no longer post photos on here.

It's a tricky problem I admit.

Where the yellow S2.2 interior I posted above fails is that it has not retained the very features that make the Esprit interior what it is. The seats are badly trimmed and look baggy and saggy. The glove box lid seems to have been deleted, or is poorly defined. And most importantly, the chrome trim has no been installed. For me, losing the brightwork and the high frequency welded features in the seats, and arm rest are a real deal breaker.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, drdoom said:

I believe the A-pillar trims are better in the same material as the dash and doors, leaving grey for the headliner and associated trims. That's what I concluded after researching what was to be found in the way of GG interiors shown in TLF. I 

IMG_3091.JPG

Is that the Alcantara your trimmer has found @drdoom? It looks good. The negative curve of the lower part of the 'A' pillar is a tricky transition to trim. Though not as complex as the binnacle.

Perhaps similar with a slightly contrasting seat, armrest, bulkhead, headlining and door card insert could work @Rolls?

Personally I would stay clear of a one colour option. It is a pity we're so limited in choices.

@Fridge i think I’ll need to keep it as per delivery certificate. I’ve gone this far keeping things original - i might as well see it through.

• Like 1

Yes, I agree. Careful choice of differing materials (2) help provide just enough contrast to prevent the interior becoming a velvet cocoon.

Yes, my A-pillar is trimmed in Alcantara, as will be the binnacle, dash cover, steering column and tunnel trims, firewall and door panels. Seats, door panel inserts, window switch pod, and gear change puff all in leather. It's a grey and black motif for me, aesthetically satisfying if done to a high standard and, as David declares, the original trim details are preserved. Obviously GG delivered a masterpiece in interior design making it quite imperative that this be respected when restored. Carpets also in grey, prior restoration experience having taught me that black highlights dust by way of contrast. 

Cheers

• Like 1

That is the one downside of black. Perhaps a fortunate accident that the black Marcasite fades to quite a nice green.

Black carpets show less dirt though.

I bought some very nice Lotus emblemed and shaped floor mats to cover the orange carpet of the S1 which would be even worse in showing dirt.

6 hours ago, Fridge said:

You see a lot of American cars which have it arranged in a more usual cone shape, when it should be folded back on itself.

On my cloth interior (admittedly an S3) it has always been the cone shape - there is something rubber like underneath the cloth that keeps it that way. 

That item below the gaiter is a rubber bellows which serves to block heated air rising from the coolant transfer pipes just below, in the chassis backbone. If that bellows is compressed downward to a compacted form it serves its function perfectly well while permitted the gaiter to similarly compress and form the puff shape.

Cheers

• Like 1

It has been that way since 1987 :) Just found this insurance photo from 1992(ish)

embed?resid=31296ED1CBF443C0!522155&auth

• Like 2

4 hours ago, drdoom said:

Yes, my A-pillar is trimmed in Alcantara, as will be the binnacle, dash cover, steering column and tunnel trims, firewall and door panels. Seats, door panel inserts, window switch pod, and gear change puff all in leather. It's a grey and black motif for me, aesthetically satisfying if done to a high standard and, as David declares, the original trim details are preserved. Obviously GG delivered a masterpiece in interior design making it quite imperative that this be respected when restored. Carpets also in grey, prior restoration experience having taught me that black highlights dust by way of contrast. 

Cheers

May I ask, what was the colour code and where did you source? Thanks

Roland, it was my trimmer chap who sourced all materials for interior pieces other than carpets purchased from our fellow TLF member, Steve Margary, and the headlining material sourced through SJ. I'm damned if I can recall with complete confidence the Alcantara shade but I believe it to be Dark Grey 9052. Battles on numerous fronts over the intervening years since commissioning that work have clouded my memory and I'm loathe to bore down into the reams of receipts filed in search of what may lurk there. Best in any case that you acquire a sample in order to see true shade and tint. How's chances sourcing materials within the local trades?

• Like 1