Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S2 resurrection after 25 years in storage - Page 9 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

S2 resurrection after 25 years in storage

After a month at home i finally had a chance to get some jobs done on the car!

Correctly fitted bushings. PITA but that's how it has to roll. Giorgio - takes to long for the parts to arrive so I followed SJ's advice. Would have been nice to know when they shipped the parts - would have saved a lot of stuffing around. Lol.

image.jpeg.d0f1524c3f67e3a014fe2d0fc357e

Best looking backside in the west. 

image.jpeg.4f77927b4c0d0259db396a814ed2f

close up of hub work.

image.jpeg.21f4d9d039da50ea9d6d9a5494a7b

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Lovely work Roland. Couple of things; are you planning to protect the hubs somehow or leave them do their thing naturally? and; are those red grommets an innovation of your own or are they an original thing?

George

Thanks George.

Hubs protected with diamond clear from Eastwood. It's my favourite - I love the original blotchy finish so this shows it off and protects. 

Red plastic caps are the tube protectors - I believe they are stock and red is the correct colour? 

Cheers

• Like 1

This axle has been brutalised somewhere along its life. There is heavy scoring and I'm concerned the cup won't sit correctly.

Are replacement axle's easy to find? Or should I just carefully sand smooth (not preferred)

image.jpeg.511d348ae3652c125ceade9fd0cd7

image.jpeg.e2b19f79ff24dd25a09ba6039eed2

Thanks Giorgio. shipping would cost a lot. I've asked for a quote.

hey do you happen to know if this shaft is also used on another make of car? The parts may be easier to source. Cheers

Thanks. Trying to buy it - bit of a language barrier - eBay is in Italian. I've used goggle translator- hopefully he understands.

Could someone please advise if this upper wish bone needs any reinforcing etc. I believe the lower needs to be checked but curious if anyone reinforces the upper.

Kindly advise if you know (S2 - 1978).

image.jpeg.419af99b9c4714ffdf73d86dba008

image.jpeg.0a0d5172a1c4fe93862184fdeeb6e

image.jpeg.7230202ca0ce9a75b571e24ae5b79

So does  this lower arm need to be modified? Doesn't appear so but best I check. Cheersimage.jpeg.d206edd2051cc05ea84b323e60a7f

image.jpeg.2db8a8584ca256826cd40c8005d13

image.jpeg.001118f1e9398f577bdf24f668e1d

I've gone to instal the UJ's but they don't appear to fit. They are the correct spicer ones per the UJ discussion in the other section.

They measure 175mm in width.

Any suggestions?

image.jpeg.9380791f9735662ef35515f3f8da0

image.jpeg.e1e8bea1623894551d80da4dd1b1e

Take off the grease nipple. That will give you an extra bit of angle. If they're the correct ones, they will fit. Fun job!

Upper wishbones don't need reinforcing. Just the lower ones if the older type.

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Thanks Pete.

The grease nipple doesn't interfere if I flip it. I ended up rounding the Uni joint with a grinder very carefully. 

Marked.

image.jpeg.72161a7d9e1feba9e871160e6898e

Ground.

image.jpeg.e9b64fe85a08b964923e1facdb330

Regarding the lower arm, Pete do you know if I have the updated version?

Also, to remove the sway bar, do I just undo the end bolt and pull it? I've given it a go and it won't budge. Sounds to easy to be true for a lotus. 

image.jpeg

Look at the ends of the hole where the bush fits in the lower wishbones. If there are welds there it's the upgraded version. You can see the pics on SJ's website.

By 'sway bar' do you mean the antiroll bar? If so, yes it's only held in by the bolt but is a tight fit. Get the big hammer out! If you're replacing the bush anyway, get the blow torch out.

Have fun!

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

• 3 weeks later...
On 15 February 2016 at 19:51, Rolls said:

Brake servo:

Mines in a poor state. Wondering if people would recommend restoring the original or replace with a modern non-original looking unit?

Does anyone have a recommendation please?

also, if you haven't already seen it. A great watch. Europa resto.

• 3 weeks later...

Star Wars is finally here! Time to replace brap brap brap with tew tew tew.

Don't laugh, I had a toenail thing done with a white laser and it hurt like hell. Ouchie :)

• 3 weeks later...

Gday folks.

brake calliper finish: I'm finding they won't absorb the gold cadmium plate (substitute). Even after letting them sit overnight to degas. They have sucked up the plain zinc ok albeit a little blotchy. The don't look great.

My question is how have you finished your callipers? Have you tried to return them to the gold cadmium look? What about VHT paint? 

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

thanks

Thanks for the tips re. brake finish - lol.  :scared::scared::scared:

Had to find out the hard way. Blasted, zinc'd, then tried the cadium plate but it wouldn't take as pores of the casting are too open. Ideally I should have micro-peened them or blasted with a ultra fine abrasive. 

Anyway, I'm going to start all over again but copper plate them first. What a pain in the backside. 

Lower link. Decided to weld in this small buttress to reinforce. I noticed some flex when removing the old bushing.

Also, see how there is a gap - the bushing almost looks too wide as it sticks out.

image.jpeg

• Like 1