Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
BOV / Dump Valve - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

BOV / Dump Valve

This came on the car but I want to remove it. Talk me out of it if you can but I don't like the noise.

If anyone want's to buy it from me, please PM me an offer.

Questions:

1. Do I just replace the T-piece with a straight through hose - I'm assuming "yes" ?

2. How is the smaller vacuum pipe arrangement altered? This is how it looks now:

(apologies if you need to turn your head sideways but when I uploaded the images they got rotated!)

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can understand very well you don't like the noise. But my current and previous Esprit came with an open BOV, and I wasn't too happy with it either. The first one I could replumb to recirculate via the airfilter, the second one is a different design and will have to be replaced.

A BOV does have it's use, but an Esprit doesn't need a whooshing sound to draw attention. ;-)

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

That's exactly what I did. My first Esprit actually had a recirculating BOV, but it was left open (maybe the German owner liked the whoosh). I connected it to the airfilterbox via the inlet from the crankcase ventilation, and rerouted that to a catchtank and filter.

Much better, you could still hear it, but only when paying close attention and pushing hard enough. :-)

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

After doing the ram air mod on mine I wasn't happy with the lack of BOV. You can really hear the surge when the throttle shuts and I'm sure a few of the pops were back through the turbo rather than from the exhaust. Not good.

I'd try and find a way to re-circulate it or fit a recirculating one.

1. Do I just replace the T-piece with a straight through hose - I'm assuming "yes" ?

I believe there should be a black/white check valve in that line. Make sure it hasn't been removed and replaced with that "T" piece.

There is a message thread somewhere on the forum listing the problems people have with blow off valves (adjustments are critical and may do more harm than good).

Edited by Qavion

• 3 weeks later...

Just to note. The HKS SSQV requires no adjustment at all as it works on vacuum. It does need a good vacuum source though. I had to use the MAP sensor port rather than the one for the charcoal canister. You can also get a kit to have it recirculate if you don't want the noise.

Our cars may not have had a BOV from factory but personally I think that was a mistake. These aren't a low boost application.

Edited by cammmy

I believe there should be a black/white check valve in that line. Make sure it hasn't been removed and replaced with that "T" piece.

There is a message thread somewhere on the forum listing the problems people have with blow off valves (adjustments are critical and may do more harm than good).

Just checked and the valve on my car has the black bit facing the cylinder head/T-piece.

Margate Exotics.