Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Engine Running Issue - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Engine Running Issue

Hi,I have a 1989 Esprit SE, that  will only idle. When it is started the rpm goes to 2500 to 3000. If I press on the petal  it will stall. Fuel pressure 44 to 50 psi. Swapped injectors around, then replaced them, replaced the coils, replaced the injector cables, the ecu was reflashed. Bought it from Michael in Savannah, he gave up on the car. All 6 injectors replaced.  Map and tps replaced.  New fuel pump. Could it be the floor mats Ha Ha

Does anyone have a pin out of the 4 plugs on the ecu or where I can get them?

He also replaced some of the frayed ground cables and the 02 sensor.

160 psi per cylinder. He drove the car around 600 miles when this problem started. No metal in the oil.

Could autention be built up in a wire sending a  improper signal back to the ecu?

When I step on the gas petal the car almost shuts off.

Can anyone throw some ideas my way. Thank you

Tommy

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was it doing this before the MAP sensor was replaced?

I've seen that behavior from a bad MAP sensor/wrong part #.  Also from a crack in the rubber elbow that connects the MAP sensor to the intake manifold (2 elbows).

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Thank you,  Yes there is a vacuum leak. The spray silicone caused the engine to rev up. All I had was silicone. It took about 6 to 8 seconds for engine to rev up.

Does anyone know how to check the engine code using the led in the rear of the car?

Thank you

Was it doing this before the MAP sensor was replaced?

I've seen that behavior from a bad MAP sensor/wrong part #.  Also from a crack in the rubber elbow that connects the MAP sensor to the intake manifold (2 elbows).

I see one elbow at the rear under the chargecooler on the intake. The elbow and the tubing looks new. I think Michael said he broke it when removing it so he had to replace it.

I found a tee at the front of the engine with a blue hose about 1.5 inches long, so I plugged the open end.

Thank you

Tommy  

MAP line. Sounds very much like that, check both ends that the tube running to the sensor is connected and the elbow whole.

Also check the IAC valve - it could be loose (sometimes one or both screws loosen and/or fall out) and maladjusted. When I set mine entirely out of whack I also had the idle go haywire. And when it's out it will dump revs when the pedal is pressed.

could you get a hold of a cable and freescan? Could make diagnosing your problem a lot easier! Till then check the above and ensure all hoses and fittings are secure and without cracks. There are a few hoses to go through. From my experience however the crack/s would have to be huge to raise the idle so dramatically....

Btw silly question but we might as well get it out of the way: are the EBPV and throttle jacking capsule still connected?

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

I found a tee at the front of the engine with a blue hose about 1.5 inches long, so I plugged the open end.

This sounds strange. Do you mean at the very end of the engine facing the cabin bulkhead? I just checked the front of the engine on my '89 SE and found vacuum hose with a black and white one-way (check) valve there. One end of the hose attaches to the front of the engine, the other curls around to the right under the inlet manifold (I believe it goes to the charcoal cannister). That is, no T piece.

Missing or incorrectly oriented check valves could cause problems.

Edited by Qavion

• Gold FFM

It sounds a little bit like it might benefit from the vacuum system being checked to make sure it is standard?

You should be able to find info on reading the LED in the boot in the Freescan section of the forum. Try doing a search. :)

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

I just noticed a pic in the BOV/Dump Valve thread which shows a T piece at the front of the engine. Someone may have fitted a BOV in the past, removed it and left the T piece open to atmosphere.

Please, tell me what are they and where are they located?  (IAC, EBPV, and throttle jacking capsule)

I found some components on the pass side near the fuel filler neck (right side)

When I touch them one rattles.

Sorry, I'm old school-- Big engine big carbs.

Update:  car running better after plugging stray vacuum hose at front of engine and sealing the place where someone took off the pov. Need to find a HKS  pop off valve, the metal plate they used to cover the pop off valve still has a tiny vacuum leak, but it will now take throttle after a slight stall.

Thank you. Everyone has been great

Please, tell me what are they and where are they located?  (IAC, EBPV, and throttle jacking capsule)

The EBPV (after the cat in the exhaust system) and throttle jacking capsule (metal capsule sort of between the chargecooler and the throttle body)  may have been removed/disabled. This is a common modification for reliability. However, the CAT warms up to operating temperature faster with these devices enabled. Your local area emission regulations seem to be very strict, so I don't know if these devices remain active.

Disabling can be done by a number of different methods e.g. wiring the EBPV open (and blocking the vacuum hose with something (e.g. ball bearing). The blocking may be done at the solenoid end. The throttle jacking capsule may be disabled/removed, but it's important that the remaining capsule linkages don't get jammed over time and interfere with the normal operation of the throttle.

Note that if the modifications are not done correctly, you may get a Check Engine light or vacuum hoses open to atmosphere.

Cheers

Ian.

(EDIT: Sometimes the rubber vacuum hose on the EBPV gets forgotten and pulled off when the boot floor is removed for maintenance). If your EBPV hasn't been modded, having the hose off will put a permanent restriction in your exhaust system.

Edited by Qavion

89SE and 90 SE would be the same.

That label part # was B082U7185F in the 93-1997 manual. I can't find the part number for 89SE-92SE

Thank you, I will call JAE. If they don't have one, I will get fast print to make me a decal. 

The EBPV (after the cat in the exhaust system) and throttle jacking capsule (metal capsule sort of between the chargecooler and the throttle body)  may have been removed/disabled. This is a common modification for reliability. However, the CAT warms up to operating temperature faster with these devices enabled. Your local area emission regulations seem to be very strict, so I don't know if these devices remain active.

Disabling can be done by a number of different methods e.g. wiring the EBPV open (and blocking the vacuum hose with something (e.g. ball bearing). The blocking may be done at the solenoid end. The throttle jacking capsule may be disabled/removed, but it's important that the remaining capsule linkages don't get jammed over time and interfere with the normal operation of the throttle.

Note that if the modifications are not done correctly, you may get a Check Engine light or vacuum hoses open to atmosphere.

Cheers

Ian.

(EDIT: Sometimes the rubber vacuum hose on the EBPV gets forgotten and pulled off when the boot floor is removed for maintenance). If your EBPV hasn't been modded, having the hose off will put a permanent restriction in your exhaust system.

Thanks Ian

My pleasure, Tom.

LOL... I think I've jinxed myself by talking about this stuff... I got my own Check Engine Light today (haven't had one for years). And I couldn't get the good ol' reliable Freescan or Espritmon to fire up. Anyway, I'll start a new message thread for that.

Cheers

Ian.

• 2 weeks later...

Update,

The 1989 Esprit is throwing codes. 4 cyl

41- engine speed signal missing

35- idle speed error.

35- Tip- maybe IAC valve or bad misfire.

26- Quad driver QDM circuits.

26- Tip- some relay (probably) or secondary injector is open circuit.

26B- A/C, clutch, egr. chk light, fan, waste gate, or canistor relay.

26A- A coolant or rpm relay, secondary injectors

I will welcome any help.

I think I need some part numbers, I've ordered a manual from JAE, delivery time 2 to 3 weeks. 280.00 dollars

Now the alt stopped charging and the brake booster or the vacuum pump is bad.

Thank you

Tommy

• Gold FFM

If you are after a parts manual, you can download it for free if you are a full forum member. :)

Cheap. Certainly cheaper than $280

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

^^ I

I've found the parts manual generally more useful than the workshop manual TBH, great for exploded diagrams of parts locations and assembly structure.

Still to begin re-assembly though, which I guess is when the WM will come into its own for torque settings and the like

Dave

The 1989 Esprit is throwing codes. 4 cyl

35- idle speed error.

26- Quad driver QDM circuits.

26- Tip- some relay (probably) or secondary injector is open circuit.

Note that the manual you are purchasing may not have the section you need.

I'm surprised that you have so many different messages.

There is a magnetic sensor mounted on the clutch housing. You could clean and reset the plug. It may be hidden by all the ducts on top of it (turbo intake ducting, coolant pipes, etc). I've replaced one of these before (I don't believe they are all that expensive).

35- idle speed error.

I've changed a few IAC's before. Located on top of the engine under the chargecooler. It has an electrical plug on it. The installation instructions don't quite match reality, so don't break it if you try to install a new one.

26- Tip- some relay (probably) or secondary injector is open circuit."

I have cleared this message before by resetting the plugs on the secondary injectors. Anyway, I see you have replaced the injectors and the harnesses. I'm not sure which relay they are referring to. Perhap the fuel pump relay or the secondary injector resistor.

I've been in a similar situation and changed a few things I probably didn't need to. Sometimes it's not an actuator, but a vacuum hose running to it (which is collapsing when the engine heats up).

Sorry, no experience with these. I believe Espritmon sometimes helps narrow the number of possibilities.

I stand to be corrected )))

Cheers

Ian

• Gold FFM

That's a lot of codes. Engine earth OK?

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

That's a lot of codes. Engine earth OK?

Cleaned and some replaced.

I think I need the exe file for espritmon version 4.

I had it yesterday, but now it is gone, and the program won't open

Does anyone have an exe file v3 or v4

Thank you

Tommy