Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Air idle control valve - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Air idle control valve

• Gold FFM

cant source one from the UK at sensible money

Part numbers are

Cv10151. Delphi

17112929. Gm

217-427. Delco

A910e6942f.. Lotus

Sourced from www.rockauto.com for a genuine Delphi one at £24.89 delivered

Just have to wait the shipping days........

Hope the info helps someone.....

Only here once

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

Couldn't seem to source locally....... Paul matty not having them.....to be fair I stopped at that

SJ have them - but the tightwad in me just wouldn't let me......

Only here once

Just to flesh this out a bit more...

Barry said that the valve he had wasn't doing the job, a cross reference search he did came up with an AC Delco 217-411, but that was giving weird idle problems.

Looking at a pic of one, I reckoned it was more likely to be an AC Delco 217-427. The difference is the end of the cone. A 411 is pointed, but the 427 is cut flat. This is probably what makes the subtle difference.

411:

post-18669-0-64274900-1433286362.jpg

427:

post-18669-0-99736400-1433286375.jpg

Looking around for the 427's only gave results from the States, so i think that this was a US sourced Delco injection system for the four cylinder engines, much like the Kelsey-Hayes ABS was on the V8s.

http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-217-427-Original-Equipment-Injection/dp/B000C9I4AM

Which was also cool as it gave some further references:

Brand ACDelco Item Weight 0.8 ounces Product Dimensions 3.1 x 2.1 x 2 inches Item model number 217-427 Manufacturer Part Number 217-427 OEM Part Number 17112929

Searching on the OEM number threw up the later Delphi (as some bits of Delco became) part number, CV10151:

http://makparts.en.alibaba.com/product/1799567466-221476558/Delphi_CV10151_Fuel_Injection_Idle_Air_Control_Valve_17112929.html

Interestingly this later version seems to be only used on US GM cars:

2004 BUICK LESABRE CUSTOM V6 3.8L 231cid GAS FI N Engine VIN = K
2004 BUICK LESABRE LIMITED V6 3.8L 231cid GAS FI N Engine VIN = K
2004 BUICK PARK AVENUE V6 3.8L 231cid GAS FI N Engine VIN = K
2004 BUICK PARK AVENUE ULTRA V6 3.8L 231cid GAS FI S Engine VIN = 1
2004 BUICK REGAL LS V6 3.8L 231cid GAS FI N Engine VIN = K
2004 BUICK REGAL GS V6 3.8L 231cid GAS FI S Engine VIN = 1
2004 CHEVROLET IMPALA LS V6 3.8L 231cid GAS FI N Engine VIN = K
2004 CHEVROLET IMPALA SS V6 3.8L 231cid GAS FI S Engine VIN = 1
2004 CHEVROLET MONTE CARLO SS V6 3.8L 231cid GAS FI N Engine VIN = K
2004 CHEVROLET MONTE CARLO SS V6 3.8L 231cid GAS FI S Engine VIN = 1
2003 BUICK LESABRE CUSTOM V6 3.8L 231cid GAS FI N Engine VIN = K
2003 BUICK LESABRE LIMITED V6 3.8L 231cid GAS FI N Engine VIN = K
2003 BUICK PARK AVENUE V6 3.8L 231cid GAS FI N Engine VIN = K
2003 BUICK PARK AVENUE ULTRA V6 3.8L 231cid GAS FI S Engine VIN = 1

So that would figure with Barry's problem of sourcing it in the UK. Also shown on Amazon UK, but not "currently available":

http://www.amazon.co.uk/DELPHI-PRODUCTS-SVC-SOLUTIONS-CV10151/dp/B000CGFRFA

And on eBay UK from the US:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ES-4-Delphi-CV10151-Idle-Air-Control-Valve-/131503675058

Anyway, the good news is that it is still a current part and as cheap as chips from the States.

Hopefully it fixes Barry's stutter (the car I mean), I'm sure he will let us know.

Never idle!

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)

• Gold FFM

It's definitely the right one......just waiting for it....I hate waiting.......

The one on mine is wobbly at the end - and I'm sure that's causing the occasional high idling - if it doesn't - idea roll of vacuum pipe and every hose will get changed!!! I've changed some already and the others look ok - the wobble is wrong so that needs to be eliminated..

The cone of the 411 is a completely different size and shape......

Thanks Alan......your a star

Only here once

How much wobble? I had a look at a spare one I had and it wobbled a little (probably less than 1mm).

From memory, the manual says to set up the IAC with the pintle(?) projecting a certain distance. I couldn't move a new one at all (twisting, pushing, etc), not without a fear of breaking it. I've read it's ok just to install the IAC as it comes and put the throttle half way to the floor before starting the car. The ECU learns what is required.

I stand to be corrected :)

Cheers

Ian.

Edited by Qavion

• Gold FFM

There's a bit of wobble - more than 1mm - but not loads.......

The new wrong one I tried had no wobble at all. You can and should install the iac without yanking it about - and then do a reset and relearn.

AiC seems to cause all sorts of random running on all sorts of cars...... At £25 it's worth swapping out to eliminate. After seeing the difference the wrong shaped pintle makes - even a bit of wear or incorrect seating can cause issues.

Time will tell.... It's showing in transit to destination country on FedEx website - so maybe it will be with me next week.

Only here once

Ian, youre pretty much bang on - no adjustment is possible on mine either.

Barry what kind of issues were you having that made you change IAC?

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

• Gold FFM

Vanya

I'm getting an occasional high idle at about 1800 rpm. It's resolved by restarting the engine........ And it can be present or not present depending on luck........ Also putting in gear - holding the brake and bringing the clutch up to drop the rpm often brings it back to the right place.

It doesn't seem to throw any ecu errors which is strange - as there is an error for rpm higher than target....

I don't think it's a vacuum leak - but it may well be - if I reset the ecu and go into learn mode - it seems to behave for a while - I just don't know. Replacing the wobbly part will at least eliminate that as a possible cause

• Like 1

Only here once

Barry FWIW I think you're on the right track

I don't think the gm based iac valves are the best in the world, 

Although not directly lotus related my boat is running a gm chevy v8 engine. I converted it from carb to gm's tbi injection system which uses a near identical iac valve (slightly different mounting) I've had idle issues with it at times, been through/changed every other component of the system, ruled out vacuum issues & fuel pressure etc etc. Each time the issues have been the iac valve!

Due to how widely used this injection system is in the states ( read cheap & plentiful supply of parts ) I've been through 5 different valves now ( 2 used & 3 new one's ) Of the new ones I bought a different make each time via rock auto & I'm currently using a valve made by airtex wells and it's been the most accurate/reliable so far :)

• Gold FFM

Fingers crossed it is- would be nice to tick that job off.

Picked my daughter up from swim club last night - it was doing in on the way. Literally all over the place. On the way back never did it once and was very well behaved.......... It's 12 miles each way.....

Apparently they has similar issues with the cavaliers and vectras of the time which also used a similar set up......

I didn't go for the airtex one..... Was the cheapest I think at about £13 !!! I thought I'd go for an oem part......gutted....

On another note...... Never park an esprit facing up hill leaning to the passenger side...... All. The bloody fuel drains to the one side......luckily - rolled her back onto the flat and back to life's he came......... Got some looks as it wasn't starting...... Got a few more I expect when she did - and then snaked off down the road blowing some good stuff from the rears......

Only here once

Never park an esprit facing up hill leaning to the passenger side...... All. The bloody fuel drains to the one side

Weird.... Doesn't the fuel pump inlet sit in a cavity in the right hand tank which should have fuel in it no matter what the car's attitude? (or was the car sitting at this attitude for a while with the engine running with the fuel low?)

• Gold FFM

Sure does - but I think that swirl pot soon empties whilst waiting for child one to put seat belt on.

It was steep up and leaning heavily to the passenger side..... I didn't think about it when I parked up.

When it's spluttered to a stop - I did think about a post I read in the brooklands banking photo thread - make sure the tanks have plenty of fuel!!!

Only here once

• Gold FFM

Got home from work It's come ........ And is now fitted.

Done a full on reset and relearn..... Had a splutter at first and threw up a code 44 lean error....... Reset and warm up.

Left to warm up then took out for a run.

Much much smoother take up and idle. Don't know if it's rose tinted earholes but sure sounded much smoother. Also comes down to idle faster......

Boost seems a lot keener as well....... Almost seems like a kickdown when you bury the throttle 100%....it's just soooooo much better.

Get home - and burble burble - 970 ish tick over lovely...... Has a small pop if you Rev it - but think that's the decat more than anything else. I simply cannot believe the difference it's made.....

One happy bunny

Only here once

• Gold FFM

Well happy Alan...... Thanks for the part numbers......will buy you a beer when I see you!!

Rock auto are superb!!

Still surprised at how much difference it can make......

Only here once

Proper job it's good to here it's all sorted  :thumbsup:

As you say, rock auto are brilliant. I've bought shed loads from them over the years. 

• Gold FFM

Just fetched the eldest to and from swimming club........

It's not my rose tinted ears....... She actually said to me that the cars seems a lot quieter and smoother....... She knew nothing about today's fettling, she's a girl and she's 12.......... So it must sound a million times better!!!!!

Only here once

• 4 weeks later...

Barry,

I've read this thread, and I have to ask a few questions, ad I don't really understand what the problem was, and which of the iac's you and Allan mentioned, is the correct one.

So:

- Is the correct one the cut off cone, number xxx?

or

- Is the correct oen the pointy coned one, number xxx?

And was your high idle problem only at start up or did it come also when driving, after having warmed up?

Do you have an exhaust backpressure Valve on your car? And a throttle Jack system, with the Little vacuum thing that pushes on a stick that puches on the throttle cable?

Reason for me asking is, that I sometimes, not allways, only sometimes ahve a raised idle (2000-3000 on start up.

I can get over this and engine slows to normal warm up at 1400 rpm by giving it some throttle a few times, or turn it off and retry a few times, or turning it off, turn on ignition and wait 1-2 minutes, and then start.

I have no high idle when driving.

I suspect it could be a faulty iac valve or the combined ebpv and throttle Jack system as well.

Sorry for asking, but is this the same part on an "SE" as a "S" car?

Kind reagrds,

Jacques.

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

New IAC arrived on Saturday 11th from Rock Auto posted on 26/6,

price $29.79 but I had to pick it up from the local sorting office

had to pay £11.79 Royal Mail handling charge.

Fitted it Saturday reset IAC with freescan and followed restart instructions as

per manual.

Well Ive done about 15 miles so far just rural roads and what a difference,

tick over down to just under 1k runs a hell of a lot smoother its like a new car,

when this rain stops a good long run will take place with a bit more right foot.

Just to add Jacques,

My exhaust back pressure valve and throttle jack capsule have been removed

with the solenoid blanked off .

The old IAC had a pointed cone as does the new one,

Big thanks to Barry for what it costs from Rock Autos (Delphi CV10151 part no)

get one.

Cheers Glyn