Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Service ports for low and high pressure ac coolant on Esprit Turbo SE? - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Service ports for low and high pressure ac coolant on Esprit Turbo SE?

Jacques

Hi all,

I am about to service the aircon system.

I would like to know if someone have a picture of the service ports for high and low pressure on the Lotus Esprit Turbo SE 1990 model, so I can see where they actually are?

Are there two at the compressor itself and two elsewhere?

I suppose they are the old type R12 couplings?

And finally, I would like to ask if the oil in the compressor is compatible with more modern refrigirants, or does the compressor have to be taken off, emptied, cleaned and refilled with another oil?

Kind regards,

Jacques.

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

R12 system requires an Ester oil, 6 oz. Check your Service Notes chapter on air conditioning.

Go on eBay and enter "SuperCool Automotive Premium Ester  R12 A/C Compressor Oil"

Thinner hose is your Hi-pressure line; the thick one is your Low-pressure suction line.

Always replace Schrader valve stems in the compressor and both lines (totally 4).

Edited by MrDangerUS

MrDangerUS

Thanks John.

I am wondering if the oil you mention is compatible with the new type refrigirant, as I think I read somewhere that it's not, and that it have to be sucked out, and another oil type added.

Cheers,

Jacques.

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

Not sure that's correct -  R12 requires mineral.  Ideally R134A should have PAG (but cant use mineral), however Ester is OK for R134 and more tolerant of some mineral contamination, therefore converting R12 to R134 tends to recommend Ester - as its physically impossible to get  all the mineral oil out of a system (unless you had all the components off the car) 

Edited by 910Esprit

Remember RS-24 only requires approximately 90% of system charge weight as its less dense than R12 and if your not decanting the system then vacuuming and recharging by weight then always rest on the side of undercharging if in doubt never over charge in this instants less is more if you see what I mean.

As for the DIY bottles these require you to charge the system to an average suction pressure but this can be affected by many variables such as.

1 Ambient air temperature.

2 Engine speed ( the rule of thumb is all temps and pressures should be taken at approximately 2000rpm but also should be checked across the full rev range)

3 interior fan speed and evaporator cleanliness

4 condenser cleanliness

And the sealing qualities of the DIY refrigerants usually take the form of a small amount of fridge oil is in the can that has certain chemicals that swell neoprene/Viton O Rings.

A friend kept topping his A/C up every year and adding the oil from the can but only had a small gas leak that never lost much oil and then all the oil came back in a slug to the compressor whilst going down the motorway and that was that as we know you cant compress a liquid. 

Hope this helps.

Edited by philcool

The smaller port fits on the low pressure side and the larger on the high pressure side on R134a system's as picture but on older R12 systems the low pressure port is 7/16 and the high pressure port is 3/8 so round the other way

post-19386-0-32555900-1437229506.jpg

Edited by philcool