Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Front end suspension rebuild - Page 2 - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Front end suspension rebuild

New matching kumho ecsta tyres fitted to the front rims today. My old ones were week 14 - 2002 great tread but old and very hard, so hard my mate really struggled to get it off the rim........ Another cost to add onto the sheet!!

Only shame is they are 205 50 15 instead of 215 50 15 - but at least they match the rears...... And they seem superb. Seems the 215 50 15 have been discontinued by everyone

Tool picked up from pilotsteve - just awaiting txt to deliver it tomorrow.

Barry, don't want to worry you (hopefully it's a typo) but isn't 205 55 15 the usual substitute for the 215 50s?

Keeping the 50 profile with the narrower tyre will surely mean your overall wheel height/diameter and rolling radius is wrong?

Not worth starting anything now...🍺

• Gold FFM

Not a typo - seemed to be the best kumho match I could get. Vanya has put on the same I believe and reckons they are ace..... Now I'm hoping I haven't fucked up!!!

Only here once

Not a typo - seemed to be the best kumho match I could get. Vanya has put on the same I believe and reckons they are ace..... Now I'm hoping I haven't fucked up!!!

I put a pair of 205 55 15 Goodyear Eagles on mine, which matched what came off it and are what I read were the best replacement in the absence of the 'correct' 215 50s

I think the difference in the overall diameter with 205 50s will be pretty small, just not as close to original as it would be with 55s. Not sure if you'll actually see a height difference...

Plus you'll lose valuable mm of ground clearance

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

It's a ratio thing on wall height and width thingies...... Had the olds sat next to the news earlier - could only just see a difference in width - but no noticeable height difference......

The front end could get no lower with the previous set up - looked slammed big time

Wanted to match the kumho tyres front to back.....

Only here once

It's a ratio thing on wall height and width thingies...... Had the olds sat next to the news earlier - could only just see a difference in width - but no noticeable height difference......

The front end could get no lower with the previous set up - looked slammed big time

Wanted to match the kumho tyres front to back.....

I think in reality the difference will be small. If you google about I think there's a site where you can compare different tyre sizes and it'll tell you exactly what the difference will be in mm, % etc between different widths and profiles.

• Gold FFM

Yes just looked

205 50 15 is 10 mm difference in size

205 55 15 is 11mm difference in size

All very confusing... But looks like naff all in it - Vanya seems happy so that's one thumbs up after trying

Only here once

Yes just looked

205 50 15 is 10 mm difference in size

205 55 15 is 11mm difference in size

All very confusing... But looks like naff all in it - Vanya seems happy so that's one thumbs up after trying

Just had a quick look myself. Looks like each one is about the same amount out but in different directions. The 55s are 1.7% larger overall and the 50s are 1.7% smaller. Just means I can get over bigger speed humps... :D

• Gold FFM

Hehe - I'm confused!!! They looked about the same to me - felt a whole world softer!!!

If the 50s are smaller at least there's less risk of scrubbing anywhere...... I hope the front end looks a tad higher than before

Oh I soooo hope that tool gets here today

Only here once

• Gold FFM

Bushes pressed in - tool great - thanks steve - one bush does have a knick in it though - so may need to replace that.....

One side all back together - but missing replacement bolts for the bottom of the shocker - have an old one pegged in until I pick some news up tomorrow.

Mental note to self - never ever ever powder coat arms again - it's a pain in the arse for reassembly and all needs removing on mating faces......why did I not think about that doh!

Otherside tomorrow once I have the bottom shocker bolts - and the locknuts for the top of the shocker that are also missing

Only here once

Bushes pressed in - tool great - thanks steve - one bush does have a knick in it though - so may need to replace that.....

One side all back together - but missing replacement bolts for the bottom of the shocker - have an old one pegged in until I pick some news up tomorrow.

Mental note to self - never ever ever powder coat arms again - it's a pain in the arse for reassembly and all needs removing on mating faces......why did I not think about that doh!

Otherside tomorrow once I have the bottom shocker bolts - and the locknuts for the top of the shocker that are also missing

All being well by lunchtime it's ready to road test

Steves cone tool is certainly doing some miles! Glad it's helped you too.

Don't forget to have your wheel alignment re checked when it's all back together.

All being well by lunchtime it's ready to road test

About time too, dragging your heels like that.

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

About time too, dragging your heels like that.

Does anyone else on this forum actually work for a living?? Everyone seems to get far more things done far more quickly than me...

• Like 2

• Gold FFM

Work ? Work? You mean you can actually concentrate on work when your cars in bits????

Come on get your priorities right - haven't seen a single minute of TV for days!!!

Only here once

• Gold FFM

All done - road tested hmmm smooth, responsive and quiet...

I even found myself driving on the cats eyes to see what they felt like.

Thanks to pilotsteve for the tool loan. And his warnings of fitting the arb itself were scaremongering - either that or I cracked lucky with the slippy and the cricket bat!!!

post-18482-0-03157500-1441455917.jpg

One box of old scrap for sale.

Costs

Suspension bits £808

Shipping of tool £12

Tyres x 2 £103

Total £923

And a fair few hours of cursing and swearing

Only here once