Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
exhaust valve switch - Page 2 - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

exhaust valve switch

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Here is how you see in the photo I insert a goal in the red cable, letting the air out of the room, my question: can we leave the air outlet without putting anything to the end?

in any case it literally changes the noise of the car, in view of the text messages of my two neighbors.

190626103156801854.jpg

Edited by ratmbe

the exhause valve is controlled by negative pressure from this red hose. If there's negative pressure on the red hose the exhaust valve is closed. The pressure is controlled by ECU, depending on your driving mode, rpm and so on.

So to have a permanently open exhaust you can simply pull the red hose off.

You should close the air oulet and the hose (maybe soaking dirt in ?). More elegant is my valve or a remote controlled electric valve: https://www.elise-shop.com/eliseshopcom-electronic-valve-controller-kit-p-502725.html

Is it safe for the engine ? Yes it is: if you close the hose or pull it off the valve is always open. If you open the hose the exhaust is controlled by the ECU like stock.

I use this since 3 years now without problems, but I'm not a technician and please correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by ArthouseCompany

• 1 year later...
On 11/07/2017 at 17:31, ArthouseCompany said:

A very cheap and simple oldschool solution: buy such a switch, cut the red hose and plug it in between. Now you can choose the exhaust to be open all the time or to be controlled by the ECU/driving modes:

it's a two way metal valve for fish tanks, size 4/6:

IMG_6534.JPG

IMG_6535.JPG

Does the exhaust flap open instantly when you operate the additional valve or can you trap vacuum in the line and hold the valve closed?

1 hour ago, RaggedRoy said:

Does the exhaust flap open instantly when you operate the additional valve or can you trap vacuum in the line and hold the valve closed?

Anyone with 410/430 using this method, mind to show me a photo on where you put this valve?

Though I’ve now replaced this with the “official” Lotus exhaust switch, took 15mins to fit and works as intended. 

6F93F70D-A33F-4A0A-AA52-050BFDA997CE.jpeg

Edited by Jaffa
Added picture

Or run an extra wire to the OEM solenoid to open/close from a switch in the cabin for more comfort (ideally have an aftermarket/adapted back box to allow for no/low back pressure running with valve closed).

The problem with such a "fish tank valve" is that often these are not fully air tight, sucking in debris; and that's even worse for those pulling vacuum from the SC (as compared to the OEM setup over the airbox pre filter element).

Edited by Kristof Thys

4 hours ago, Jaffa said:

Though I’ve now replaced this with the “official” Lotus exhaust switch, took 15mins to fit and works as intended. 

6F93F70D-A33F-4A0A-AA52-050BFDA997CE.jpeg

Did the official switch need coding or was it plug and play

• 2 weeks later...

I dropped the bottom of the steering cowl. There was a plug labelled exhaust flap. Connected a momentary push button across the two connections and boom. Override installed. 

Lotus like all manufacturers had to comply with new EU Noise regulations for 2018 year. 

In light of this they simply removed the switch and left all the wiring etc. The one issue is often an ECU reprogram is required to ensure after the switch is reinstated it works effectively 

Dealer put this switch in my 410, works a treat, took 15 minutes, no reprogramming and the display in the dash shows up when it is open/closed.

It so much more convenient than blocking off the hose, I can drive to the office early and keep the neighbours happy then open it on the way home when I need to clear my head.

Edited by Robjo

13 hours ago, Robjo said:

Dealer put this switch in my 410, works a treat, took 15 minutes, no reprogramming and the display in the dash shows up when it is open/closed.

It so much more convenient than blocking off the hose, I can drive to the office early and keep the neighbours happy then open it on the way home when I need to clear my head.

Cold start is always something I’m thinking that the neighbours must enjoy early morning 

• Like 1

On 23/07/2020 at 20:44, RaggedRoy said:

No ECU recoding required on my Exige410. It all worked once the switch was installed.

Same on my 410 too 👍🏻

• 9 months later...
On 23/07/2020 at 16:12, nordschleife666 said:

add this two-way valve in the red hose, I didn;t cut the hose, instead I add a small piece of 4mm id/8mm od hose at the end

IMG_20200723_164449.jpg

Thanks for this tips!

i have made on my 410 and it’s work perfect! 
i have take this piece: https://www.gardena.com/ch-fr/outils-jardin/arrosage/goutte-a-goutte/goutteur-de-fin-de-ligne-reglable/900914901/ 😅

4.6mm and I can close and open. 

the sound is awensone 😍

Shu

Edited by Theshur

• 1 year later...