Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
DeLorean back in production - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

DeLorean back in production

No argument there Bazza, an icon of the highest order! I will forever love it as a time machine.

Its the perfect picture reference for "polished turd". Underdeveloped, poorly executed and the brainchild of a bad man. It was borne of greed and ego and rather fittingly appeals to at least 50% of those sensibilities. It also reps. a serious blot on the copybook of a man who was a charismatic genius. Karmic is it that the DeLorean is a poor performer in every way but ostentation.

Its a car for the person who doesn't like cars, the greatest living expert at the cocktail party. 

...is how I feel.

But fair play to yer man in Texas, DMC was about making money, and it seems it'll continue that way. 

• Like 1

Fun car to look at, but could I see myself buying one? Erhm... no.

Price here in Denmark would be near 173000 gbp. For a DeLorean. I can get a lot of Esprits for that Money.

Kind regards,

Jacques.

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

As usual poorly informed / blinkered crap being spread by the misinformed after reading more rubbish on the Internet like this thread! Yes the car has it's downfalls like any car, maybe more than some but let's not forget Lotus had a large hand in the development based off the Esprit platform at the time with the Spooner brothers and even MJK involved and was of course designed by Giugiaro.

And as far as the new DeLorean it will be another PR stunt by Steve Wynne of DMC Houston who brought all the spares and company name, I will be quite amazed if it makes it to production. Just look at the electric DeLorean and the Pontiac Solstice they were talking about producing!

• Like 2

1982 DeLorean DMC 12 #16327, 1999 Lotus Elise, 1998 Lotus Esprit GT3 #2272, 2011 Lotus Evora S, 2013 Lotus Exige S,2016 Lotus Evora 400,2019 Lotus Elise Cup 250

I'm sure that's aimed at me ^, and whereas I'm only an opinionated little prick :innocent:, If I'm misinformed than the articles I've read in would be upstanding publications, and the TV programs I've seen are to blame. Chapman is said to have refused John DeLorean's request to develop the car, the latter having already been refused by the major European players - solely on the grounds that there simply wasn't enough time to develop a car properly before the grant window with the UK govt. ran out (for the factory in N.I.). None of the other manufacturers would put their name in the same arena as the DeLorean for that reason, it was destined to be a let down.

It wasn't until DeLorean offered Chapman an amount (in the millions) under the table that Chapman came on board. The car was categorically under developed and for Lotus' part, it doesn't handle. Granted I can't speak to the reports of poor build but no one can deny they're numerous and far reaching, and you have a poor car that looks epic. The photo above is beautiful, the car doesn't exactly even look finished though does it.

Edit: and just to say, it's no relative reflection on Lotus, or any of the team involved. You can't blame anyone for not being given enough time. I'm speaking only to the car, and to the tactics of DeLorean and Chapman. I'm sorry, I love my Lotus, but making great cars doesn't exonerate you from fraud.

Fortunately I like all cars, good or bad and you could point me at any car ever made and I could see some good in it. Hence I own a Delorean and a Lotus and enjoy them in equal measure. Lotus of old hasn't exactly got a good reputation.

Trevor. 

• Like 1

I'll get around to it at some point.

There was a story about it on the TV news tonight. Expected price is about $100K !!!  A joke when you compare what used Esprits in fine condition go for and the stock rear engine 130HP with weight hundreds of pounds heavier than an S2 Esprit makes it into an expensive fashion accessory at best when it comes to performance. Ironically it was Lotus who added lots of the weight consulting for Delorean because their original chassis design was too flimsy.

Hey Trevor, if it means anything to you, I feel as much a dick as I sound. Don't know when I got all grumpy and righteous and who am I to throw around generalisations.  

About loving all cars I know how you mean. They're like people there's good in them all. ? Sorry! 

George 

I see there's a parts build from Eaglemoss in the UK - to build a 1/8th scale replica of the BTTF Delorean.  Looks kinda cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXdpaAcpUTc

Simon  (94 S4)      My Esprit will be for sale in late 2017

• Gold FFM

I've only ever seen one in the flesh. They may be underpowered etc (something I didn't know until I got on here) but they still look cool.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Absolutely love the delorean for it's interesting design and history, saw one with the BTTF get up on the M25 last year when it was the BTTF anniversary.  Stunning.  As iconic an 80's car as you can get IMHO, whatever it's like to drive or maintain.

There are so few old ones left I really don't think $100,000 will be a problem for a very limited run. I think they will sell instantly. The important thing, imho, is getting the engineering and build quality right.

I also love the car and would own one. I always said that if I ever won the lottery I would have to own 1 of each car the old man helped design/improve/worked on.

• Like 2

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

• Gold FFM

Bloody hell your old man is tall Kimbers. :shock:

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

6ft 6in in his heyday. Now 6ft 3in. One inch shorter than my twin sons!

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

Agreed there is a lot of love for the Delorean, it was a vision of the future when the future was something to look forward to. Amazing to think there are enough spares to still do this 30 years later, how far sighted of somebody not to just scrap them and cash in.

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

2 hours ago, internets said:

There is a big event back at the Belfast factory this year in May. This is held every 4-5 years and people come from all over the world. I would expect 50 or 60 DeLorean cars to attend from all over Europe.

When you all line up for the inevitable photoshoot, see if you can get a picture where every car has their doors shut. I can lend you some bungee straps if that will aid the shot.

1 hour ago, Advantage said:

When you all line up for the inevitable photoshoot, see if you can get a picture where every car has their doors shut. I can lend you some bungee straps if that will aid the shot.

Like this Mr A?

56ab8a6be4602_20151017_162625Medium_zps6

But not like this? :P 

56ab8aa7e9fdf_20151017_163035Medium_zpsc

Forgot how much you like the DeLorean Mr A :lol: 

• Like 1

1982 DeLorean DMC 12 #16327, 1999 Lotus Elise, 1998 Lotus Esprit GT3 #2272, 2011 Lotus Evora S, 2013 Lotus Exige S,2016 Lotus Evora 400,2019 Lotus Elise Cup 250