Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
About to Order (Evora 400) - Evora Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

About to Order (Evora 400)

Frickin_idiot

Owning an S2 Exige S  I was quite happy with my lot in life, but for some time I have been considering moving up to a newer car. Yesterday I took the plunge and test drove a new Exige V6 back to back with an Evora 400 - both wonderfully fantastic cars. Whilst I love the "event" experience that driving my current Exige, and undoubtedly the V6 provides, the Evora 400 ticked all the boxes and I will be placing an order this week.

My next dilemma is spec, currently thinking:

Manual

Cruise Control

Keep the rear seats

Like idea or Alcantara trim but been advised against this for durability and finish so will opt for leather.

Now the part that I simply cannot decide on.. Body, wheel and interior colour combination.

Current options are:

Black

White (with black pack)

Orange (with black pack)

Red (with black pack)

The configurator is absolute pants, the colour choices displayed resemble nothing like I have seen.

I welcome any photographs or opinions on potential choices or must have options.

Thanks!

• Gold FFM

You'll find lots of pictures around here. Black is obviously the best option if you want something a little stealthy, but I think these cars need to be SEEN so the brand can be helped ;)

My vote out of those would be red, I saw one in the flesh at B&C, looked awesome. Orange must look pretty good too, but yet to see one in the flesh. White to me is just overdone these days, apparently 1/5th of all cars are now ordered in white. I've got a white van, I don't want a white sports car! (I would make an exception for a Turbo Esprit though)

Edited by JayEmm

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

My understanding was you can get any  colour Lotus have used before. How much you have to pay I do not know. 

The Blue Evora thread car is stunning , would go for black interior and black wheels though.

How about Toxic Green :-)

Having seen all the colours in the flesh while touring LotusCars I can safely say the car looks great in almost any colour. However, I do think, like others have said before the 400 looks really good in the brighter colours with the Black Pack.

I am seriously considering one when they reach US shores myself, and while I have been partial to the darker shades previously, (including my own Carbon grey S), I would probably opt for the Orange with Black Pack! It really pops even on a dull day!

Only an opinion, but hope it helps and congrats on any colour you get!

Dave

Obviously the red is my favourite, but it's closely followed by orange, metallic blue and Motorsport green. I get a huge amount of compliments for my red with black pack from random strangers, more than any car I've ever owned.

75B6F257-5419-49CD-928F-2E0DC9DE4200_zps

• Like 2

I stand by my choice, in an earlier but similar post, of military grey but I don't know how many extra pennies they'd want for that, now. I like the red interiors and the red/black combo from Lotus Exclusive especially appealed to me. I'm frankly staggered that Lotus 'still' haven't got a decent configurator up yet; I thought it was essentially ready to run, last autumn?

How about burnt orange and black pack? It was the best combination on the previous model, but rarely specified. Even the production line guys said so when I saw one being readied for despatch during a factory tour in 2014. Just that bit classier than the usual chrome orange.

I asked this on another thread, so apologies for any repetition.  Anyone have a pic of a lotus in Pearl White?  It's advertised by Lotus as an option color on their exclusives list. 

Colors.jpg

Actually,  I see that a picture was posted in the other thread.  Nevermind.  But it does like EXACTLY like the cheaper metallic white in the picture....

Obviously I can't pick any other color but red too!:P When I was ordering mine I was also considering white and yellow (always with the "Black Pack"). Consider that red and yellow would save you the metallic paint option (around 1200€, if I remember right). 

Manual gearbox on the 400 is waaaaay better than on previous Evoras (even though I was told that the new IPS is a big improvement too; but I've only tried the old one and didn't like it that much).

CC in my opinion is useless and I've never liked it on any car I've had it (unless you live in Nevada and drive on desert, traffic-less roadsB-)), I got it just because when my dealer placed the order for my 400 he was told by his contact up there at Hethel that there was a car specced almost like I wanted (just with CC added) about to end production so I could have got that much faster than asking to build a new one almost identical from scratch (and also got another not so little discount in the form of free forged wheels ;) ).

Let me say a few words on Alcantara vs leather: first of all it's not true that it wears faster, I've had many reports of old cars with many miles (mostly Audis) with Alcantara-leather seats and all had the Alcantara parts in much better shape than the leather ones (u can check the thread I opened when I was speccing mine were I posted some pics about this). On the other hand I read on the internet of demo 400s with leather seats already worn after just few weeks of (though heavy) use. And if you wanna take it in a garish colour outside, Alcantara, that looks more sporty, IMHO couples better than full leather that looks more classy and is better suited for a dark car (my old Evora was Carbon Grey and had black full leather interiors). Finally don't forget Alcantara is lighter than leather, your Lotus would loose some (very little I guess) weight and Mr Chapman would have appreciated it!:lol:

Another potential benefit to Alcantra, though modest, is that you don't slide around in the seat as much in hard cornering (assuming you are leaving the stock seats and not putting in a racing seat and harnesses).

2 hours ago, Trevsked said:

Pics don't show the finish unfortunately but in the flesh you can clearly see the difference.

Trevor.

Gotcha.  Metallic White or Pearl White, black pack, and a black interior with red stitching would be slick, albeit not an exotic color.  That would also look great in the roadster which I heard is due toward the end of this year.  Unfortunately, I probably can't find a real-life Pearl White to look at here in the US, and the pics don't allow distinguishing the two. 

Do Google search for Freddy Mercury Evora. That car was a heavy pearl finish and would have been photographed by something better than an iPhone so should give you a better idea.

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

I was over at Silverstone on Saturday and they have a metallic green auto with grey alcantara interior in their showroom. It looked fantastic. If I was speccing one I think I'd definitely go for the alcantara as it really suited the car. I think the new interior is more purposeful and sporty than the old one, and the alcantara just accentuates that.

13 hours ago, BWex said:

Another potential benefit to Alcantra, though modest, is that you don't slide around in the seat as much in hard cornering (assuming you are leaving the stock seats and not putting in a racing seat and harnesses).

My arse is so big that this is not a problem for me. If it is a problem, just eat more rib-eyes with chips cooked in goose fat and washed down with a bottle of claret. Just don't tell the wife or doctor.

Back on topic, I think Alcantara often wears better than leather and am looking at samples of it for my current Evora....

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

29 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

My arse is so big that this is not a problem for me. If it is a problem, just eat more rib-eyes with chips cooked in goose fat and washed down with a bottle of claret. Just don't tell the wife or doctor.

Back on topic, I think Alcantara often wears better than leather and am looking at samples of it for my current Evora....

Corner hard enough and even the biggest of arses (or, as we call it, asses) will slide around in those stock seats.  :)  But it is good to hear you are very positive on Alcantra, because I do like it and am leaning toward it for the Evora 400 roadster if and when it shows up here. 

Now let's really go off topic for a moment:  You do realize that you just gave an American advice on how to get fat?  Incidentally, you lost me on rib-eyes and goose fat.  Over here, we would recommend a grilled stuffed burrito from Taco Bell, coming in at almost 900 calories just for that item.  This is how they advertise it for lunch, no exaggeration (and the sad reference to "reduced fat" sour cream really does say it all):  "Filled with a huge arsenal of seasoned beef, three-cheese blend, Latin rice, refried beans, reduced fat sour cream, guacamole, avocado ranch, and pico de gallo, you’re going to have your work cut out for you. From past experience, we suggest starting early with a few big bites on the right side end. Hit it where it hurts, then take a sip of water. Pace yourself through the center, but don’t stop or you might be overcome by intimidation and surrender. Finally, after you’ve swallowed that last bite, pump your fist in the air and celebrate a well-earned victory against lunch. It’s probably going to be the last sudden movement you make before you face lunch's REAL boss level, Food Coma. Sleep tight lunch commander. Sleep tight."

All this Alcantra discussion is making me hungry.  :pizza:

1 hour ago, Neal H said:

I was over at Silverstone on Saturday and they have a metallic green auto with grey alcantara interior in their showroom. It looked fantastic. If I was speccing one I think I'd definitely go for the alcantara as it really suited the car. I think the new interior is more purposeful and sporty than the old one, and the alcantara just accentuates that.

Cool!B-)

12 hours ago, Trevsked said:

Do Google search for Freddy Mercury Evora. That car was a heavy pearl finish and would have been photographed by something better than an iPhone so should give you a better idea.

Trevor.

Great suggestion.  Thanks.