Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Recommendations for upgraded ignition coil? - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Recommendations for upgraded ignition coil?

hants34

Having decided to get uprated leads, the next obvious and complimentary upgrade is the coil. Any recommendations out there, Flame thrower, MSD Blaster....?

For a 1990 2.2 Non turbo Esprit

Thanks

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She seems a bit lumpy at the moment, which the service and tune up may sort out but as the coil is the original I figured a new and upgraded one would be a good move. Yes spotted Dermot's MSD coil and thought that may be the route to go, just have to work out exactly which version I need!?

Thanks for replies

Do they give a better spark? More volt, brighter spark? Have anyone ever measured their engine power and reliability with these?

I am asking because I know I'd like some too, as old coils get unstable sooner or later.

Kind regards,

Jacques.

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

4 hours ago, ian29gte said:

Just noticed that the OP has an NA engine, so does that use the GM twin coils or not?

Just the bog standard cylinder  type

DSC00153.JPG

Yup, mines an NA. I've done some research and people in the US see to think the  Petronix flame thrower is better than  msd but I guess it depends on application and availability. Not wanting to dis msd. Now just need to find exactly which flame thrower will suit. All a bit of a mine field!

• 2 months later...

Do these aftermarket coils not throw a code 41?  I know there have been problems with people swapping in identical GM units that were not from Lotus and getting a code 41 error with a check engine light. 

Raging Fool - no CEL's?

Edited by Paul93Lotus

Do these aftermarket coils not throw a code 41?  I know there have been problems with people swapping in identical GM units that were not from Lotus and getting a code 41 error with a check engine light. 

Do Esprit NA's have ECMs? 

(Off topic) Regarding SE's, the coils and ignition modules seem to be sold separately (I bought both last month). It won't be the (2) coils which throw up messages, it will be the ignition module. I bought some NGK coils (looked nice with their gold plated contacts). The ignition unit was an ACDelco D1949A from Rockauto.com... going for half price! (original unit, so no error messages)

On 25 June 2016 at 04:52, Qavion said:

Do Esprit NA's have ECMs? 

Pretty sure that 1990 ones don't and my 1988 certainly doesn't, so no issue with ECM codes