Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
V8 coolant experts question - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

V8 coolant experts question

Trevsked

My 99 V8 indicates a little warmer than I'd like before the fans cut in. I've checked the reading on the temp gauge against the reading on an OBD reader and that's the same so think the gauge is correct. Anyone know where the sender for the fans is located as I think this may be faulty?

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

Ok thanks for the reply. Any ideas why it appears to be triggering late? I suppose change the temperature sensor first then.

Trevor.

Well that was my belief so currently no further ahead. A call to GST as he'll probably know.

Trevor.

Bibs is right.  Both sensors are located to the left of the thermostat housing, but unfortunately access is poor due to the plenum.

ECT.JPG

• Like 1

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

Ahh, is that right, in which case it's performing correctly. It does exactly tat but I thought that seemed a little high?

Trevor.

Nah, that's not high at all.  100C equals only 212F, and most manufacturers these days aren't turning on cooling fans (aside from with the A/C) until 220F or more.  The Lotus manual even says not to worry about high temperatures unless you get to the warning light level - but I would never let mine go that far.  :lol:

Keep in mind that the gauge is not linear; that is, it has the widest "swing" in the normal operating temperature range (82C - 100C).  If it appraches 120C, then it's time to start worrying a bit.  An engine is most efficient at warmer temperatures, so don't be tempted to remove the thermostat or install a cooler one.  I've seen some on these forums who believe it will help prevent liner leaking issues, but that logic is completely counter intuitive.  Once the thermostat opens at the stock 82C, there is no difference whatsoever.  The only thing a cooler thermostat accomplishes is making your car less efficient, more of the time. (** all assuming the car hasn't been modified from stock requiring changes to the cooling system design **)

Enjoy that car.  It's working perfectly!

Jake