Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Oil Type and Filter - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Oil Type and Filter

I need to change the oil on my S1 and there seems to be a lot of different views on what type and grade of oil to use.

I have had various different types in the engine over the years but it has had a recent rebuild so its start again time.

I have a LC907E6000W genuine Lotus oil filter so that gets over the usual questions about valves etc.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I just recently bought some Castrol Edge 10w 60 for my S3 after much researching on this forum. Seemed like a good choice although ive not put it in yet.....stoopid rain :(

Hi,

I use shell Helix Ultra 10W60 racing in my S2.2

Guess if it is good enough for ferrari, it will do for my lotus.B-)I

But I am no Oil freak. I am sure other brands are equally good. I believe in regular control and maintenance though.

Greets

Geert

Gerald at GST strongly advised me not to go fully synthetic after my engine rebuild as the moving parts won't mesh together properly, and the engine will become a "slow" engine. He recommends semi-synthetic for 10000 miles, so I've had Castrol Magnatec 10/40 in it for the last three years. Another 2000 miles to go.

Chris

• Like 1

Aren't the old engines supposed to have an oil rich in zinc, lubrication for the cam lobes and suchlike, which is not good for modern engines with catalytic converters, hence modern fully synthetic(ie: low zinc) is not a good idea? There are a few options with full zinc including synthetic however.  Here is one option: http://www.penrite-oil.co.uk/penrite-classic-light-20w-60-hpr30-5l

The Aus Penrite site has other options with synthetic and high zinc.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Clive59 said:

Aren't the old engines supposed to have an oil rich in zinc, lubrication for the cam lobes and suchlike, which is not good for modern engines with catalytic converters, hence modern fully synthetic(ie: low zinc) is not a good idea? There are a few options with full zinc including synthetic however.  Here is one option: http://www.penrite-oil.co.uk/penrite-classic-light-20w-60-hpr30-5l

The Aus Penrite site has other options with synthetic and high zinc.

exactly this:                  Engine oil recommendation               

Completely forgot about a discussion I had with Brian Angus about this back in 2009…doh!

I was asking about my GT3 specifically but Brian is referring to the 900 series engines.

With regards to the filter, it would make no difference to Brian if you paid the extra for a Lotus filter or not.

Being the Esprit Platform Manager at the time, I would go with anything he says.

Hi Gordon,

Good to hear the GT3 is being given an oil change.

I would recommend Fully Synthetic Castrol Edge 10W/60. We know this oil is ideal for the Lotus 900 Series Engines.

There are loads of aftermarket filters that are similar to the Lotus filter.

The Lotus filter has particular features and I don't know if some of the aftermarket options have.

They might look similar from the outside but there is no knowing what is inside.

The Lotus Filter has a specific filtration element size and surface area.

We know some of the cheaper units don't have this specification.

We also have the non return valve and a good spec by-bass valve.

We did some filter evaluation a couple of years ago when the supplier moved the manufacturing plant and wanted to change the specification of the filter to make it more 'mainstream'. We rejected the proposals as the new filter had a reduced specification which we did not agree with.

They continued to produce our filter to our requirements.

The new filter would have reduced the cost but in our opinion was not a suitable option.

We did a lot of investigation where filtration specifications (filtration size and filter element area) were checked  including rig testing where things like flow, pressure drop, relief valve operation were monitored. We know how our filter performs and don't want to change anything.

I know many people have their favourite make of filter that they believe is the best.

My recommendation is that you use a genuine Lotus component a you know what you are getting. I guess it will cost you a few pounds more but compare to the cost of the oil and the garage cost it is really insignificant.

Cheers

Brian
  • Like 1