Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Subwoofer Woes? Give this a try... - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Subwoofer Woes? Give this a try...

• Gold FFM

It will be familiar to readers or viewers of my 400 diary that I've been having subwoofer trouble.

I got the car back from Lotus today after a total replacement of the head unit, but sound was still substandard. I set the car up as per Lotus' own instructions (on this site), but still no real improvement.

So I decided to come up with my own settings. In my opinion, Lotus have set this subwoofer up to fail - they're bringing it in at 40hz with the crossover they're using. My huge sub at home would struggle with that and more to the point, not much music goes that low. So, if you actually want to "feel" the subwoofer, I have a couple of alterations I have made that I would suggest to you guys. I haven't done extended listening, it may be too much with some types of music, but with these settings I can actually feel the sub working now.

So, start with the setup as per the Lotus guide. Then, make these simple changes:

1. Change the first step of the parametric EQ to +7 @ 63hz, wide band.

2. Go to the crossover menu and hit the "flat" button

3. Go into the quick sound menu and dial the subwoofer all the way up. If it's too much, dial it back down.

This works with my 400, there is every chance it may work with some earlier cars. Hope that helps!

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

• 4 weeks later...

I've had my car several weeks now and whilst I haven't spent much time playing with the settings, I can't detect anything coming from the sub. In the next week or so I'll try the factory setup and then the revised ones suggested above. Surely there's got to be a way to improve the sound quality?

Has it definitely got a sub?

as per the 400 build change thread there was a period of time where it was removed from build and then a period where it has been an optional extra (paid)

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

I believe the external finisher is the same regardless of sub or no sub :lol:

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

There are no rear speakers, but the head unit is set up for them.

put on something bassy.

go to the sound settings and set the fade fully to the rear. This will cause the front speakers to drop out.

you should then be able to hear if the sub is working as it's the only thing being driven.

(this certainly works on my car - I believe the 400's have front speakers only too)

Edited by mik

On 7/17/2016 at 12:58, mik said:

put on something bassy.

go to the sound settings and set the fade fully to the rear. This will cause the front speakers to drop out.

you should then be able to hear if the sub is working as it's the only thing being driven.

What @mik said...

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

James, just tried your suggested revised setting on my INE 920r unit and it does improve it a little. 

Turning the sub up to max causes a distortion so backed it off by 2. When dialling the fader to full rear I now get a Pfff, Pfff, Pfff rather than a Pf, Pf, Pf. Would prefer a bit of boom but looks as though it's not meant to be:(.

I will just have to be content with the superb driving experience :thumbsup:

@PaulCP As you have the same set up as me, do you want to try my settings?

Subwoofer - 13

Fader - R8 (move the fader further to the rear to reduce to a bass level that you feel comfortable with)

Bass Max EQ - Hip hop

Media Expander - On (CDDA - Max)

Time Correlation - Front L: 0.0 Front R:1.1 Sub:1.0

X-Over - Sound 63hz and 12db/Oct - SubW LPF 125hz and 6db/Oct (save as preset 3)

This set up also works well on the Evora 400 although as the S1 has "bassier" front speakers the sound is going to be slightly better.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM
On 7/19/2016 at 09:08, Neal H said:

Is there an obvious way of checking whether a car has a sub fitted or not? I have no idea whether mine has one.

Get in back, with a torch. Point it at the grille. Should be able to see if one is there.

And @JAWS you sure about having Media Xpander on? It seems like the quickest way to destroy any chance of half-decent sound to me

• Like 1

James Martin (JayEmm)

It could differ on the Evora 400 James, as the front speakers may not be able to handle the Xpander. However, on mine I have no issues and quite a few people have remarked on the decent sound quality with out any prompting. PaulCP may provide another independent evaluation of the set up now he's had a fiddle.

• Gold FFM
On 7/22/2016 at 18:58, JAWS said:

It could differ on the Evora 400 James, as the front speakers may not be able to handle the Xpander. However, on mine I have no issues and quite a few people have remarked on the decent sound quality with out any prompting. PaulCP may provide another independent evaluation of the set up now he's had a fiddle.

I've really never been fond of such settings on anything, but in the 400 it has the remarkable effect of making everything sound like it's coming from a £5 walkman earphone

The 400's front speakers are noticeable smaller than before, which really means extra attention should have been paid to the sub as it becomes even more important in that situation. Shame.

I honestly don't see how Lotus think this is going to be acceptable in the US market

James Martin (JayEmm)

On 22 July 2016 at 18:58, JAWS said:

Yep, it sounds pretty good to me.

Although I'm no expert, and having studio quality in a car doesn't interest me, I do like a bit of bass and the sound is way better than it was and now more than acceptable to me :thumbsup:. In fact I've turned the sub down a little because I thought there was a little too much boom, boom, boom.

@JayEmm you are welcome to try it out at the next meet we both get to

An update to my previous post and queries:

I have no sub-woofer. Very disappointed :cry:!!!  My tests suggested it was not fitted and eventually confirmed by dealer at 1,000 mile service.

By using the EQ settings as suggested above the tone is improved, though still remains very much front focused. Until a solution for rear speakers / sub can be found then I'll have to live with the magnificent sound from the exhaust!

In terms of production date, I have asked the supplying dealer so that perhaps we can determine a date at which the sub became a 'no cost add option'. Whether the timing of the changes are co-incidental or not,  the covering on the boot lid is carpet compared to JayEmm's leather. 

• Gold FFM

@IanPops I believe the change to carpet is a relatively recent one. Do you also have aluminium pedals and a plastic bottle in the boot rather than the aluminium one?

If it's any consolation the factory supplied subwoofer is crap.... You can have mine when I replace it!

James Martin (JayEmm)

52 minutes ago, JayEmm said:

@IanPops I believe the change to carpet is a relatively recent one. 

Which makes perfect sense.

Was discussing this last week with @CocoPops & we both agreed that covering something in leather that you never really see is just a waste, particularly if the carpet option is more cost effective.

The same with that plastic trim on the 400 which covers the rear of the boot opening. Why increase your build costs by including unnecessary items, particularly in times when you need to improve profitability