Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Hold the phones, a cupholder in a 400? - Page 3 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Hold the phones, a cupholder in a 400?

Has anyone actually identified the part number for the cup holders anyway, to check availability and price?

.:: Lotus Evora 400 - Red ::.. | ..:: Polestar 2 - Midnight Blue | Ducati Panigale V2 - Red | Indian Scout Bobber - Black | Honda CB1000R Neo Cafe Racer - Black ::..

IMG_0240.thumb.PNG.089e1a3c65ef9e028485f40bcf4a7555.PNG

IMG_0241.PNG

IMG_0242.PNG

That help? :)

The different part for the upper console (with or with out cup holder) is interesting. Not sure if you could just bolt on the cup holder to a non cup holder console?

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

Cheers thats interesting.

I was actually more interested in the plastic footwell cup holder in the front.
Do you have diagrams and part number for that?

.:: Lotus Evora 400 - Red ::.. | ..:: Polestar 2 - Midnight Blue | Ducati Panigale V2 - Red | Indian Scout Bobber - Black | Honda CB1000R Neo Cafe Racer - Black ::..

Nope,  can't find it in any parts lists :(

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Jay, did you end up getting a cup holder installed? I read the same article after putting down my deposit and when I picked up my car, i looked for it and obviously could not find it. Would be good for the morning coffee run. (For people who read my other posts they know I am keen for reasons to take the  Evora out!)

• 1 month later...

I ordered an official Lotus rear cup holder for my 400: today I have finally got around to thinking about the best way to fit the thing.

It comes in two parts, top and bottom, along with a rubber mat to go inside. This mat covers the recessed mounting screw heads. The top and bottom parts look like they are held together with 4 small self tapping screws, although I wasn't supplied with those.

Looking at the shape of the thing and the way that it's supposed to be mounted, I doubt that it's a part specifically made for the Evora and is probably borrowed from another make of car. There are no markings on the plastic to help identify where it's from. Does anyone recognise it?

Fitting it to a car like mine, that doesn't have the centre-console upper assembly to match, isn't straightforward. The bottom part has two protruding bits: 

1) towards the rear, a T-shaped bit. This would probably go into the hole in the centre-console where the 12V socket used to be.

2) towards the front, a round pokey bit. This either needs a hole drilling in the  centre-console upper assembly to accommodate it, or cutting off.

To actually attach the cup holder, there are another 4 screw holes. Again the centre-console upper assembly will have to be drilled to accommodate the screws. Either that or maybe I could use cable-ties to go around my centre-console upper assembly so I don't have to drill it?

That got me thinking: Lotus are mounting the thing in the wrong place! Right up against the rear seats is rubbish: you can't easily reach the cup from the front of the car without dislocating your shoulder; it intrudes into the already sparse rear footwell space; you don't get any more power sockets. What about mounting it a bit further forwards: just forwards of the 12V socket? That way it's easy to reach, out of the way of rear passengers' legs, and you could have a second 12V socket or even some USB charging sockets in the cup holder. See my last photo for where I'm considering mounting it.

I'll let you know how I get on....

IMG_0350.jpg

IMG_0351.jpg

IMG_0352.jpg

IMG_0353.jpg

Watching with interest...

• 4 weeks later...

Mine has the cupholder fitted - I used it the first time for a bottle of water last week and it's definitely awkward to reach (though once I figured out where it was without looking, not too bad), but then I considered if it was only a few inches forward, I'd probably smack my elbow on it every time I shifted to 2/4/6th... make sure you check this before you do anything permanent.

My cupholder experiments have been on hold for a few weeks waiting for an ebay USB power socket to be delivered from China. It finally arrived at the weekend so I've made a start. The cupholder assembly doesn't provide much length to accommodate the 12V/USB socket: my USB socket only just fits, but I have had to bend the electrical connector tabs outwards and solder wires to them, rather than use spade connectors, to get it to fit inside. I have cut the T-shaped and round pokey bits off the bottom of the cupholder to give it a flat bottom to sit on top of the centre console without having to hack holes in it.

Now, where and how to attach it? I tried to see if the Lotus fitted 12V socket was easily removable but mine is well and truly glued in place. Therefore I think that I will try mounting the holder just forward of the existing 12V socket, bearing in mind the elbow clearance issues mentioned above. I'd rather not drill the centre console, so will try cable-ties first. Will update with pictures once I have tried this out.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, has it been fitted now making the evora the perfect family car?

Could it be fitted the other way around with the cup to the front and the square bit to the back? Could you make a hole in the square bit to make it seat on top of the 12v plug?

Also, has anyone identified if it is borrowed from another car/how much does it cost?

Thanks

I have been playing around with the cupholder toady and this is the result:

IMG_0362.jpg.71fc3f3c329cf5ddbc4af5e285b86fa3.jpg

USB socket in place. It was a tight fit.

IMG_0363.jpg.c0a8eb4f8d3638c7ec3a7698debdcc06.jpg

Wiring in place.

IMG_0366.jpg.ab5c47d7c43239fd964ab782a8d4a96a.jpg

Plastic pokey bits cut off to give a flattish bottom, then adhesive rubber sheet stuck on. This is to stop the 4 round screw-hole edges, which are slightly proud, from digging into the leather on top or the centre-console; also to provide some "grip" to stop it sliding as I'm going to fix it in place with cable-ties rather than screws, at least until I'm happy with the position. I should have trimmed the sheet a little narrower at the front as its edge is visible once installed but it will do for now.

IMG_0377.jpg.555ef1b4896d2e35ee75d01b96d02474.jpg

Cable-tied in place, just in front of the existing 12V socket. The cable-tie ends just need trimming and then the rubber mat installing inside.

IMG_0379.jpg.83fcc1c41016f0c2dba1e8e917428bea.jpg

Final result. My elbow doesn't catch on it when changing gear which is a relief. It's not absolutely rigidly fixed with the cable-ties but I'm happy with it for now. To get it rock solid would mean drilling and screwing it to the centre-console top. You can easily reach the cup from either the front or rear seats too. The can of pop is just for demonstration purposes - I never have a drink in the car! I only wanted the cupholder for additional storage space for odds and ends.

Edited by RichardC
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...