Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation - Page 250 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation

On 10/01/2018 at 20:24, Lotusfab said:

All the wheels are rolled edge. 

Ahh my friend checked every part of the Copper car extensively and saw no signs of white anywhere! . The plaque said it had been resprayed and colour changed, but whoever sprayed it did a flawless job.

I did not check the vin plate☹️

What I want  to know is who on here has been over there measuring and not shared the info?

Hi Fabian, just looking through some of the old posts.. did you happen to get any photos of 10929 white Turbo with the n/a engine at Dezer? - I saw the one withe the squiggly Lotus paint on the rear bumper.. 

Would love to see the brown interior of that one too some day...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
5 hours ago, Lex Templar said:

Hi Fabian, just looking through some of the old posts.. did you happen to get any photos of 10929 white Turbo with the n/a engine at Dezer? - I saw the one withe the squiggly Lotus paint on the rear bumper.. 

Would love to see the brown interior of that one too some day...

Hi Lex, only a picture of the rear bumper and exterior, I think it was that car. May well be in Orlando now. I can’t remember if the interior was brown or if it was that car, but there are two in the ED175973-049D-455B-8A11-E62F93B76495.thumb.jpeg.dd65c2351043d6aaaf115f471dbe2af5.jpeg3316F6F3-490E-4E20-B487-6ABD4C740736.thumb.jpeg.660d2bcd7d2f3091c432cd5c8fce6042.jpeg08C303F8-6E8F-4355-A0CD-53DA95B30897.thumb.jpeg.68e3ec751d4c2ec473f17c08f489717c.jpeg 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/10/2020 at 21:38, Lotusfab said:

Thanks Roo, been a long road!

what a nice article is that, and what did you have a long time spent on this beauty,

i gone do the same with a LHD but not as good as you did, (i think) i keep the steering wheel black and so on...

but it will get compomotives but no roof stereo,

• Like 1

Seems like they built a big house just behind where the original picture was taken. 🙂

Your car is an absolute delight Fabian. 🙂

• Like 1

It's getting there......

• 3 weeks later...

Update

I have done some testing of the ignition timing advance. The curve is not correct resulting in ignition timing that is far too advanced. Thats not ideal, especially with forged HC pistons. I am removing the distributor. I don’t have a test rig and and don’t wish to make one so I am sending the distributor to distributor doctor. They will refurb it and plot advance curves before and after. The springs have probably gone weak. I plan to set up the suspension over the next few weeks using the string box method. Its then off to a rolling road to fine tune the jetting. All part of the fun now the car is in one piece! Cortina awaits!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well my distributor has come back. I sent it to Distributor Doctor. An excellent company. They plotted the advance curve and surprisingly it was spot on within 1/2 a degree. They said the distributor was in very good condition and didn’t need a rebuild and only charged a nominal fee! Heres the plot.7AB04BC1-8117-4F32-B958-06C00168BF3B.thumb.png.55fd63939c8b03ac345eebb9290beb64.pngThe reason I sent it to them was the advance curve. I have a variable timing light. I was using the advance function to make readings easier when setting the timing. It gave 25 degrees advance at 2000 rpm when it should have been 20. I couldn’t get the timing at rpm consistent over the whole range. Now I know the distributor is spot on the error must be in the timing light variable advance. I will reinstall it and set the timing using the zero advance setting on the light. After this a friend has organised a dellorto expert to check over the carb set up. I then plan to take it on a rolling road. I still need to se5 up the suspension and plan to have the wheels balanced on the car. Compomotives are beyond the capabilities of most garages. I had two leaks when I switched over to new tyres caused by the garage using excessive pressure to seat the tyre rather than lubrication and a little effort. When I saw what they were doing I stopped them! Two days wasted dismantling and resealing the split rims. No more than 40 psi should be used when fitting tyres on comps and they must be very well lubricated!

Fabian,

In regard to tuning the carbs and spark curve do be mindful of the likelihood that fuel has evolved substantially since the time our cars were engineered. Pinpoint adherence to either original jetting or timing is not necessarily the correct answer. Well proven tuners in the UK capable of setting up what your engine actually wants are identified in these forums from time to time.

Cheers

• Like 1

Thanks Steve your right of course. I am trying to get the basics as per the book before I put the car on a rolling road. I have just put the distributor back on and run the engine. I can’t explain why the idle setting is 10 degrees BTDC and at 2000 rpm it still shows 25 degrees with the timing light on zero adjustment. it should be 18+/- 2 degrees with an idle setting of 10. The advance curve on the distributor is correct. All I can think is the rpm gauge on the dash is misreading. I have an electronic tacho coming tomorrow to see is the car gauge is correct. Any other ideas?

• Like 1

There's a substantial history of confusion arising from Lotus' manner of expressing the timing specs, as commented on here and there from the earliest years. The most critical figure will inevitably be total advance under full load, as the engine either lives or dies by this under full boost. 

You may recall I upgraded this engine to forged pistons HC spec.This is adding further complication to the tuning, as the compression has increased. The HC has totally different jetting and different model carbs. The rolling road people I will take it to have been tuning Lotus Esprits for many years, so hopefully they will be able to fine tune everything and get to the bottom of this.

• Like 1

So I have been working on the tuning. I retarded the ignition by two degrees from the book value the engine seems to accelerate more smoothly. I have decided to try the idle jet and holder for the later HC car, as I am running that setup. It uses a 58 idle jet and a 7850-9 holder. The holder has larger air holes than the 7850-7 but the jet is much larger. The 9 holder is weaker than the 7. I am still trying to perfect the transition to 3000 rpm. The idle jet and holder control this transition. I tried to find some graphs explaining the effects of jet and idle holder without much luck. I though I would have a mess around before involving the rolling road. 

• Like 1