Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation - Page 122 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation

Have to say I owe Andy lots of thanks. It was so much easier to put the doors and bonnet on with two people! Now just need to fine tune the fit,  bolt all the other bits back on the doors and get those pesky windows working! 

I have cut a new bulkhead carpet from Loop pile material that Lotus used. It's being edged and then I will fit it prior to engine installation. The vent system has been totally replaced ready for the bulkhead carpet! 

I like the pictures Steve it spurs me on. The project took a massive leap forward today with Andys help!👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, stephenwhyte said:

Further reference of early decal positioning if needed - mine and a close up of a period Turbo poster 😎

624D0BCC-5F86-441A-B51F-CEA2714C276F.jpeg

82E73F14-296E-4764-98B9-D753EF603999.jpeg

A66FEDAA-C2C0-42B9-B8F0-DBDAB392993B.jpeg

Steve, have you got the later type of bonnet seal? Also how many shims are there in each side on the bonnet hinges? As your car is almost identical to mine it might help with my bonnet fit. I am going to have to replace the inner tube seal with the later one as the thickness of the seal supports the bonnet and makes the fit better. I was never t aware the bonnet is different to the S1.

Hope these help Fabian - first one is passenger side bonnet hinge and the others are of the closing brackets which also show the bonnet seal

54A825B2-324C-4552-B8F9-B1A9BBF35356.jpeg

FE3BDB9F-9FF6-4F9D-98D9-35C9FAC425A2.jpeg

9DD831C9-5009-40E7-9384-E7BC8A228B2C.jpeg

ECE2C3AC-469A-4D6C-9985-F85D9F64FD1D.jpeg

EF41D0E3-9085-4CF1-A6D5-07949F300317.jpeg

5355D63B-71E2-4A84-B82A-2698A37F7435.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Perfect, thanks!

Later type seal, as I suspected. I will have to put a later seal back on my bonnet to achieve the fit.

incidently a good start point for the door catch centre is 233 mm from the top of the bottom seal. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lotusfab said:

Have to say I owe Andy lots of thanks.

Happy to oblige! Even Esprit doors with their 50 or so adjustments can be fun when the suns shining :) 

• Thanks 1

• Gold FFM
4 hours ago, Lotusfab said:

have cut a new bulkhead carpet from Loop pile material that Lotus used.

Hi Fabian,

As far as I'm aware, the loop pile material was replaced by the ribbed boot lining material S3 onwards. I could be wrong, the change may have been mid model run, but all the Turbo Esprits I've done to date have had what we call in the trade "crap cord"

The Ford/Lotus loop pile is far superior in terms of quality if not a barsteward to cut, but in terms of originality to the FYEO car, you may need to pop back over for another quick look. (I could come with you). 

Steve

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Steve V8 said:

Hi Fabian,

As far as I'm aware, the loop pile material was replaced by the ribbed boot lining material S3 onwards. I could be wrong, the change may have been mid model run, but all the Turbo Esprits I've done to date have had what we call in the trade "crap cord"

The Ford/Lotus loop pile is far superior in terms of quality if not a barsteward to cut, but in terms of originality to the FYEO car, you may need to pop back over for another quick look. (I could come with you). 

Steve

Photo required Fabian?

6 hours ago, Steve V8 said:

Hi Fabian,

ribbed boot lining material S3 onwards.

But only cars from 1985 had any boot lining carpet. Before that they had the boot bag, and just small pieces of carpet glued onto the side panels inside the rear side windows and on the upper rear of the bulkhead.

Having said that, being Lotus there are exceptions to the rule and some of Fabians pictures show some extra carpet on the side panels further back.

• Like 1

Trim

The bulkhead carpet looks fantastic with the edging done and I hope to fit it soon. You may remember the director of Conelly leather sent me a Lotus Gold leather sample that was used in the Bond car. It has proved impossible to match this colour as the quantity of hides required would be too expensive. The only option is to recolour the entire car. I have had a company who has a £30k colour matching machine to make me some leather colourant. I have a new piece of leather hide for the dash which I will trim in and then recolour. The seats and other pieces will be off to the trimmer to trim them in full leather. The door cards will also need sorting as the speaker holes have to be repaired(Bond car didn't have them). 

I have replaced the radiator braces in stainless, they look Fab! Pictures to follow.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Lotusfab said:

The door cards will also need sorting as the speaker holes have to be repaired(Bond car didn't have them). 

Damn speaker holes! There should be some law enacted against cutting huge holes in car doors for speakers, with long custodial sentences :)

A friend is trying to sell a Ferrari 430 Scuderia which has carbon-fibre door panels which some complete idiot has cut massive speakers into. Cant sell it. He looked at new panels, £10k each.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On 05/07/2018 at 07:00, Andyww said:

But only cars from 1985 had any boot lining carpet. Before that they had the boot bag, and just small pieces of carpet glued onto the side panels inside the rear side windows and on the upper rear of the bulkhead.

Not sure that's true Andy - Mines an '84 - trunnions/pre sun roof.   I am certain my full boot carpet was original (made of unbacked, ribbed carpet, with cotton edging 

It was 85 model year which could have included some 84-built cars but many cars have been fitted with the boot panels by owners over the years.

carpet.jpg

I have a few of these bolts and spacers spare if you want to press on. Various lengths etc.

I can drop them round whenever (though prob not tomorrow afternoon).

- Jeremy

DSC02424.JPG

• Thanks 1

Hi Jeremy,

thanks for the kind offer. I have just ordered two high tensile 7/16 UNF bolts. If they don't fit I may take you up on the offer! Cheers.

Question Fabian......are you colouring the steering wheel to the same colour as the rest of the interior as it was in the film or leaving it black?🤔