Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation - Page 156 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation

2 hours ago, Lotusfab said:

Solution gear knob 8 mm to 7 mm. Fill with J B weld and tap out to 7 mm.IMG_6417.thumb.JPG.d2d6dcfb3511929bdc2aaf7b7139c83c.JPG

Lovely👌.......the early chrome version with the wooden ball, is such an elegant feature in the Esprit cabin😎

• Like 2

Valve clearances

spent 1/2 day trying to shim the inlet valves correctly. Only two at now at 5 thou. There seems be be a lot of errors in the measurement, discovered my vernier caliper is not up to the job. Also my micrometer is in mm.  Time to bye a new instrument! 

I need a digital micrometer that measures in inches! 

Glad to see JB Weld is on the job in the UK!

Get a digital micrometer to read ten thousandths so you can properly chase your tail whilst doing the shims. A caliper just doesn't catch the depressions worn in used shims that give you two sizes in one shim. Hope you are using a spreadsheet to do the calculations.

Thanks Thomas. I have just ordered a digital micrometer. I originally measured them using a metric micrometer. I then had to convert to inches and work out the new shim size. That didn't work too well. So I switched to trial an error. Took half a day and erroneous readings to realise the caliper was producing very large measuring  variations. Should be easy when I get the correct tool! 

I have a digital micrometer but trust me, even with that some of the results I got with the new shims were a bit of a mystery. There's definitely some science in this but also a large dollop of trial and error!

• Like 1

Not worth starting anything now...🍺

Have to say the Haynes car museum is really good, well worth a visit.  The cars are all pristine condition. The black Lotus was in with the racing car exhibit! 

Valve gaps

Well the new micrometer with a digital display made the measuring very easy and quick.  I have calculated the new shim sizes, now just need to get them! Interestingly my torx bolt socket didn't seem to fit exactly to the Lotus Torx bolts. Andy lent me the correct Lotus socket. This fits perfectly. Why there should be a difference I don't know, but there is. Seems to be taking a while to get the clearance sorted due lack of the correct tools and shims.

On 24/02/2019 at 14:24, Gis said:

Had another go on these files. Here is a set of newly built ones. Let me know if they need further tweaking.

NEW Turbo Esprit decal FINAL.pdfUnavailable NEW Turbo Esprit decal FINAL.aiUnavailable

I updated those files once more and migrated them here

• Like 1

Ad initium

We'll have almost rebuilt the carbs. A main jet is missing! I had to replace a broken tube. The rebuild kit is ok, but the biggest problem is there are no part numbers or instructions identifying the seals. You just get a lot of rubber rings with some very similar sizes. By a process of elimination they are all fitted.some extra parts appear to be for Bango connectors and stronger pumpjet  springs. A piece of A4 with an outline identifying the sizes and parts would be a massive help! 

I found exactly the same as you with the rebuild kit from Eurocarb Fabian. It wouldn't take much to get these identified and organised just once and send a copy with each order.

• Like 1