Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation - Page 20 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation

Well need to get the niff naff stuff done so of to Bell and Coville to pick up my newly made bumper brackets tomorrow, remember they were rotten. The plan is simple

make a template to locate the brackets exactly. Cut out the rotten wood. Bond a new piece of marine ply in. Cover in fibreglass and refix the new brackets. No point in putting rotten bits on the car! Will probably have the front to do too!IMG_0831.JPG

Then have the fun bit of repairing the outer bumper, respraying and yes painting the White LOTUS bit! 

Yes not a nice job Fabian and they end up in a right old state,  Looking at your plywood from the picture it looks actually in pretty good shape to what most look like, just a pity the bracket bolts turn like something of the titanic. :(

A

I think they used wood inserts of the type which have spikes which are pulled into the wood when tightened.

Actually I really like the use of marine ply on these cars. On the bulkhead and bumpers, top of the tanks etc. Its a radical but neat engineering solution. Obviously the bumper wood deteriorates but then so would have steel.

Thanks Andy.

Well thanks for the tip on Brick cleaner, whoever that was it worked! I decided to try this rather than discard my fuel tanks and have managed to return one fuel tank to bare metal. It's been an Epic job but the tank is now very very clean and good enough to etch and then put an epoxy tank sealer in. I would not recommend anyone to try and recover tanks that have been sitting this long, as the effort required is extreme! If you cut corners the sealer will fail. It's taken hours and hours to get it to this point and I still have the other one to do. 

Skis

I have managed to get the original bindings in red. Bond fans will know the originals were orange. I intend to respray and restore the bindings and have contacted Tyrolia to confirm the original orange paint code used. Will then have to replace the decals!

The plan at the moment is to get the car running, drive it and about two years from now take the body off and a nut and bolt exact Bond copy! 

• Like 1

Hi Fabian, 

did you use the brick acid neat, or dilute it at all. What sort of timescale for leaving it in?

i did mine last visit, but used a 3:1 dilution for about 15 mins, then repeated.

It got rid of most, but left some spots of rust on the inside base.

cheers.

• Like 1

Hi Dave,

I used the frost cleaner and repeated twice which left patches. Then 1 to 1 brick cleaner for about two hours, watching it very closely you could almost see the patches dissolving. It really is as good as a blasted finish now. But a great deal of effort! I wouldn't advise anyone to go down this route and obviously extreme caution is needed when using any chemicals. 

Disclaimer - anyone who uses any info on this blog or repeats what I have done does so entirely at their own risk. Whilst I endeavour to get everything correct there will be errors, but hopefully some of the info will help.

• Like 1

Compomotive conversion

Im still going to convert the car. The biggest problem is parts. I have got the front Lips which can be used as a pattern for a rolled edge finish. There doesn't seem to be anyone who does this now, but it's a good idea as it increases the strength of the lip buy about 20 percent, changing the crystal structure in the metal. 

If anyone would like to swap I have the 15 X 1.5 Compomotive Lips. I would like the 15 x 1 Lips. They were changed I believe due to air leaks. The 1.5 are better, but sadly not on the bond car so I'm willing to swap them, any takers? 

If anyone is looking at any Compomotive barrels or lips right now I'm your man! Here's my shopping list. I will convert this car, so if you have some and are thinking of a conversion that probably won't happen please help out?

front

lips 15 x 1

barrel 15x5

rear

lips 15 x 4

barrel 15 x 3

for info I believe the tyres will function correctly on a band of rim widths. How the handling or bearings are effected I can't say but my guess is unless you are exploring the G envelope it won't be an issue.

there are substantial costs beyond the actual wheels the entire rear suspension needs changing to include radius arms, upper and lower links. Then all the hubs if you want four stud. ☹️️☹️️☹️️☹️️?

Have to go, I have several days worth of tank cleaning and turning on my second tank!???????

• Like 2

Well after two days of hard work tank two is nearly up to standard. What have I learned?

Brick cleaner works really well, but needs to be neutralised after use.

the POR 15 is also pretty good, but more time in the tank is better. Really need to flush to tanks well Repeating the POR15 cleansing if any patches are left.

When blocking off the holes I made  a bung where you can by wrapping tape over a set screw. Forcing  it in the hole and tape over it. Using this method I got no leaks. 

Make sure you have a heat gun and drying it out well if you need more than one day, otherwise the tank will rust.

i found practically no corrosion in the tank, it was just hardened fuel and sediment and can all be cleaned out but it took  a lot of effort. All the corrosion was external. 

Tommorrow I have to complete the cleansing. Metal prep both tanks, dry out and apply the sealer.

Thanks to Steves tip, brick cleaner, the second tank is almost there. If  I ever do this again it's definitely the way to go. It has converted the tank back to what looks like a galvanised finish. It has taken at least 1.5 hrs for each tank side, but I suppose it depends on the concentration and the temperature. If s very effective, but as I said before a great deal of effort! Still have to seal both tanks!

16 minutes ago, Lotusfab said:

Found this number scratched in the car, is it if any significance?

208GT or 1208GT?IMG_0812.thumb.JPG.fb115418b6c28a32d85396ff46d9f66c.JPG

You can just see it scratched in the centre of the tailgate?

Last few digits of chassis number. You may find it inside on the bulkhead panel behind the seats like I did.....oh also on the heater box too. You find it in numerous places ?

Always seems to have the "GT" for some reason.

My F328 has these numbers in various places but the suffix is GD which means "Guida a Destra". Some Ferrari restorers restore the numbers where they visible eg on wishbones.

DSCN8493.jpg

8 hours ago, Lotusfab said:

brick cleaner, the second tank is almost there. If  I ever do this again

Isn't brick Cleaner hydrochloric acid diluted with water? Good to know as that will be cheaper.

You  can get it from any decent sized homebuild centre Roland,  and yes its very cheap just a few bucks,  Designed to get rid of excess mortor splash after bricklaying ,:thumbup:  I have since learnt that its easier to spend 10 or 20 minutes wiping down the brick faces with a wet sponge though after doing diy brick laying at home rather than use this stuff again :) 

As said though great use of fro it as a tank cleaner.

A

My guess is that the brick cleaner is chloridric acid which I think is harder to neutralize while the POR product must be phosphoric acid.

phosphoric acid leaves a protective coating and acts better when warm. I use it on lightly corroded parts that I don't want to blast. When you coat the part and let it sit it will turn greyish and creates a protective coat. I usually leave my bolts treated this way bare and had a good result. BUT, in your case I wouln't leave the POR product for too long on the last soak because that "coating" if not sanded (it creates a white powder) will prevent good adhesion.

Good luck with the tanks, the worse is behind you (in that department!)

Something I learned about cars or planes, it all works until it doesn't anymore...sometime there is no way around it!

Have finally sealed the fuel tanks. My conclusion is after three weeks of hard work if your tanks have been sitting around for a very long time, just buy new ones! Still have to prep the outside and paint with POR15. I'm having a stainless steel crossflow pipe made by PMN Engineering. With this bit, my new Aluminium fuel pipe and the new rubber pipes the entire system should be bullet proof! ?????

Have got a secondary restoration of ski bindings going on. Tyrolia 380s to be exact. You may recognise this foot?IMG_1112.thumb.JPG.cda167282bccb29e938238344d03885f.JPGIMG_1227.thumb.PNG.e303079c266ce132d418abbf9c751122.PNGthe bond ones look orange, so a spray job and new decals! Any ski experts out there, how do I take them to bits?

• Like 1