Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation - Page 240 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation

I’ve had a bit of a setback. After spending three days changing the design and remaking the upper rack I decided to scrap it and start again. These racks have to be really good and work perfectly to the same standard as the rest of the car. The  first design was over complicated and had flaws, which I didnt really appreciated until I constructed it

I now have a new plan and hopefully this time I will make progress, I have done a lot of research and have found a Pin lock that is ideally suited to this application. Its taking longer than I might have hoped, but I will get there. I have decided thanks to all the input on here I must finish this car to full James Bond spec with identical locking ski racks. 

You may wonder why I haven’t been clocking up the miles. Well I am being extremely pedantic with this car because of my previous mishap. I noticed when driving I was getting about 85 degrees temperature. When stationary it was going to 110 degrees.  I thought it might have air in as 110 is far too high!  but couldn't understand how 'it had not cleared. The switch for the fans is 90 degrees, so  it needed investigation. I had changed the temperature switch to a modern one and thought this was the issue. So I swapped all the front pipework and returned it to Lotus spec.I still had the fans coming on at 110 degrees! The temperature gauge was bench calibrated with the sender. I decided to test the system again as I could not fault anything else.

I took the sender out and placed in in hot water with a laboratory thermometer. I found at 90 degrees the temperature gauge was indicating 110 Degrees! Also as the water cooled there was a consistent over read. The temperature gauge has two calibration holes covered in small cork inserts. I made a tool out of a  5 mm rod. When inserted in the holes it is possible to change the calibration. I heated the water to 90 degrees and calibrated the guage to read exactly 90 degrees. I then cooled the water to 50 degrees and checked the reading. I found correcting the upper reading fixed the entire scale.  I have successfully calibrated the gauge to within 3 degrees across the 50-90 degree range. The fans com on at exactly 90 degrees! They switch of after about 30 seconds and the reading drops to about 85 degrees. Sometimes the gauge sticks probably because the car is stationary and the temperature change is small. The upshot is  Its all working perfectly like a Swiss watch!
I posted this so that anyone who thinks they may have a temperature issue tests the calibration of the sender and gauge first and  in situ. Its easy to test and quite simple to adjust the gauge if you make the tool. The tool can be made quite easily with a bit of filing from a 5 mm stud. 
Right back to version three of my ski rack mechanism!

• Like 2

On 03/07/2020 at 05:55, v8vantage said:

Went to all that trouble but fitted the wrong size skis and wrong bindings. Doesn't anyone pay attention to detail anymore....other than Fab.  Ultimate garage would be to have the actual Bond cars in there rather than replicas.IMG_20200702_180359502.jpg

Who’s garage is this do we know Roo?

Unfortunately there is no white FYEO movie Turbo left as 0858 is now copper. The Dezer white car was a press mule with a 2.2L na engine so I don’t think it really counts. The copper Dezer Car didn’t appear in the movie either.
It would be nice to see 0858 surface in Dubai but I’d say we will be waiting a while.

My ideal garage would be 3 factory Bond ‘specification’ cars.

Is it Martin Williamson’s garage?

I have replaced the front isolators ( rubber pads on top of springs). The car is no longer scraping on the ground when the road surface is dipped. Also there seems to be much less vibration. I would not removing any of the isolators in order to lower the suspension. It really is so much better with them installed. But then any little vibrations and rattle tends to annoy  me whereas for others it might not be an issue. I have completed all of the snag list. In the end I upgraded the whole top of the gearbox to C35 standard. No more oil leaks from the selector shaft with new seals. I even aligned the front wheels, as the professionals had done it wrong! I was going to take it back but I really don’t like other people working on my car. So I used the trac ace system and set it up myself. I converted the book mm toe in to degrees using a chart. 
 The very last job will be fitting new tyres and rebuilding the front compomotives with the correct 1 inch Essex lips. before I switch over I want some pics of the car and Goodyear decals for my new tyres. 
Have to say its all running very nicely. Its great to have confidence in in the engine and I am enjoying driving. When its run in It will be even better!

If anyone wants to have a look the car it will be at the Black Swan pub in Ockham Surrey tomorrow morning Sunday 12 th July for the Breakfast car meet.

• Like 2

Speedo

I have finally got to the bottom of the issue. It wasn’t being caused by the angle drive it was the inner cable. It was moving inside the outer sheath towards the gearbox. This was enough to disengage it from the instrument. Fix small piece of rivet in angke drive end to stop cable from moving all the way in.

Ski racks

Finally I think I have a strong enough workable solution. I have decided to go back to the hinge idea. I believe  I have found the best quality hinges that are strong enough for the application. They were kindly supplied by Gold and Wassell. 
https://www.goldwassallhinges.co.uk/contact

This is an old british company they were extremely helpful. They are the only company I found that had what I needed. Better still the pin in the hinge is stainless, we would not want it rusting!

On another note I notice exact James Bond copy Astons are selling for 3.3 million and they are all sold even though they arn’t road legal! Maybe not such a bad idea to copy the Bond Car exactly with skis! 

https://www.auto123.com/en/news/aston-martin-1964-db5-reproduction/65022/

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Lotusfab said:

The real different between a Lotus Bond car and an Aston Bond car is it took me about 6000 hrs to research and build - the Aston 4500!

6,000 hours on reasearch?! I'm glad you're not on my payroll! Build, though, I'm surprised it's that few :D

I have never clocked my time on the S1, but know to the exact penny what it's cost. Even down to masking tape and other consumables. It's shocking how it all adds up. If you haven't done the same on your TE, then I'd suggest you could easily add £2,500 or more to your larger ticket items.

Good work on the hinge place. I used to work near there. There are lots of great, traditional small companies in the  Midlands making high quality items such as this.

• Like 1

I stopped adding up about two years ago as it was depressing! I am quite happy to be on your payroll for Bond research. If you want me to make stuff no problem, but it does take a very very long time! I would be a natural at lowering productivity! I am easily distracted and get side tracked into James Bond trivia! Everything I do costs a fortune and theres lots of wastage. On the plus side my cars are nice when done! 
On a serious note those chaps at Gold and Wassell were really really helpful and make great products. We need more of these sorts of businesses in the Uk.

8 minutes ago, Lotusfab said:

On a serious note those chaps at Gold and Wassell were really really helpful and make great products. We need more of these sorts of businesses in the Uk

We do. We definitely do.

• Like 1

I suspect it wont be upto your high standard but could you not use a template and spray the goodyear on to the tyre?

• Like 1

Coolant

If you have problems getting air out of the cooling system on a Turbo it is almost certainly due to the thermostat not opening at the correct temperature. I had horrendous problems with this until I replaced the thermostat with the new one I sourced earlier in this blog ( with a link). As soon as it was changed it was easy to get the air out. It worked exactly as per the Lotus manual. Drive the car then open the radiator bleed. No more boiling over!

Well done Fabian, you are a model of determination and devotion to the marque! Curious about the radiator bleed, is it located top or bottom?

• Like 1

Thanks Steve. The bleed on the Turbo is on the top left of the radiator accessed through the front boot under a rubber. My S1 doesn't have a bleed and this is a massive issue. Getting air out is really really difficult. I intend to modify the S1 and put an air bleed on. If you car hasn’t got one I would definitely put one on before the rad goes back in. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Goodyear tyre decals

I have paid for the tooling these are perfect, the best copies you can get and made in England order here

https://tyrewallstickers.com/?rtwwwap_aff=fabiansteele_5

Once they are on my tyres I shall post pictures. I am still working on the ski racks. I a, having problems with the second mechanism. Third attempt to get it right! Should be prepping them for spraying and drilling the tailgate very soon! Almost covered 500 miles. When I switch tyres I will get a lot more in!

• Like 2