Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation - Page 45 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation

great progress Fabian. It put me to shame. I remember all this very well. For removing the body, I jacked up the front bit at a time and used the engine hoist at the back. Doesn't need to be too high to clear the rear wheels.

The body is heavy with the glass still in it (but I guess you would know that as you have already played with the S1 body).

I had a moment when I nearly lost the body to one side off the jack! Still I did it alone.

:) 

Oh dear, just looked at my resto thread and realised I took the body off mine back in 2010! :) 

It's getting there......

Hi Tim, 

well done, not easy on your own! Did you take the steering rack off or loosen the intermediate joint? 

Hoping to lift it off tomorrow.

I've got both doors off and will remove the bonnet, light pods and rear side glass.

I removed the steering column with the intermediate shaft attached IIRC. I was able to undo the bolt from the outside as I had already removed the radiator. :) 

It's getting there......

Started at 0530. Wiring removed and all pods, rivet bits etc. Parts put  into freezer bags, labelled and stored in a plastic container box. IMG_1989.thumb.JPG.dd31d8ae21cfb361f7f143dfa6707252.JPGIMG_1983.thumb.JPG.482d28432320c74211ba9573fe90768c.JPGI'm really glad I've taken it all to bits. The master cylinder was leaking! Also the headlight motor need rebuilding and the pods so they are up to standard. Will so much better when it's all rebuilt. 

35 years have taken a toll! The forward bumper has disintergrated. It will need a total rebuild, we have the technology, we can rebuild..... better, more reliable, faster - or something like that! IMG_1990.thumb.JPG.26b38fd028d6a89265c397ef2cb40946.JPGIMG_1991.thumb.JPG.2036b37cd45d91ee856754fad9c5c465.JPGThe engine undertray holder was riveted on. It was rusted so decided to leave the old rivets but prise the rusted strip off. Will grind them back later and get a new strip. The lower front fairing is a pig. 2/3 of the bolts are seized. Still once this is off just the steering column and then the body will come off. Building my body remover today hopefully! When my mate turns up! 

The undertray is missing, so will get a new one. The strip is shown and is rotten ( lower picture). Nearly there, not bad for a day and a bit.

• Like 1

Rivnuts hell again! Took ages to get the lower fairings off. Lots were IMG_1993.thumb.JPG.548a86049ff17bd37227d862cda86e36.JPGseized up, glad that's over. I have built my machine and plan to lift the body off tomorrow. Only the steering to disconnect and the 14 chassis bolts, which I should imagine won't be straight forward, all this only if the weather holds. Then the engine once the chassis is separated. 

I have been looking into regalvanizing the chassis as I havnt found a satisfactory paint solution yet. Wonder how much it will cost to hot dip?

Danny, hopefully I'll get those parts off soon!

Oh yes, there  appears to be an oil cooler inside the front fairing, is this normal?

• Like 1

I'm debating what to do with my chassis. The only way to get that factory fresh finish is using hot dip. I was worried it might warp it. I guess if you get it measured first and again afterwards it may be OK.

Do let me know who you choose if yoiu go down that route. :) 

There should be an oil cooler in front of the radiator. You can just see it attached to the undertray.post-4276-040174700%201278277184.jpg

• Like 1

It's getting there......

Galvanising will add significant weight and carries the risk of twisting the chassis. I like POR-15 (if applied precisely as per the instructions) but not sure if that can be applied over a previously galvanised surface. I think Frost or Eastwood do a cold galvanising paint that might be worth a look. 

Hi Tim. Thanks glad you've got that oil cooler there! I thought the previous owner may have moved it. I still need to remove the shroud that it's in. Thanks Jon. I'm still researching. May have a chat with PNM they have all the jigs and can sort anything on the chassis. I was looking at that cold galvanising paint. Not sure how good it will be. There are quite a number if people that have use the full POR 15 treatment over the galvanised metal. They say it works fine, but I'm not convinced yet. Will need to find a solution soon as I want to get on with it.

Interesting that your oil thermostat is there. Mine is under the engine and I thought they all were. Amazing how each of these cars is different.

Reference the weight of galvanising, we used to reckon 3-4% increase in weight. I don't know what the Esprit chassis weighs, but we can't be talking about too much. If it's 100kg, the galvanising will add between 3 - 4kg maximum. Then you have to decide whether it's worth it for the peace of mind. You could have the chassis temporarily braced to hot galvanise it.

Margate Exotics.

It would be really cool to have a chassis re-galvanised. Lotus did apparently have issues with distortion and they had to be re-jigged but if PNM could do that it would be great. At that time there was only one galvaniser in the UK with a large enough bath, not sure if thats still the case.

I believe there was an Esprit restored a couple of years ago by a Wolverhampton firm. Quite well documented online. They had the chassis re-galvanised in the Midlands. May be worth checking up.

Measuring before and after is a good tip as mentioned above.

Worth the hassle IMO.

I spent a lot of time preparing my S1 chassis, and painting it in 2-pack 'Raptor' rather than seal everything in powder coating, only for it to chip and crack years down the line. The inside box sections were Tetrosyl'd. It's about as much as I could do. Fortunately the chassis was in very good condition, as is the body. Just a wreck otherwise, though largely complete.

The only way to get that factory look would be cold galvanising and its really what I want for mine. The majority of my chassis is great, it's just the engine bay area which needs attention.

@RichardJGC keep us posted on your chassis.

• Like 1

It's getting there......

Have done a bit of research. Apparently cold galvanising is not resistant to oil or fuel. So would have to paint over it? 

Well Ive given up for today!  The Lotus genius who used rivnuts and designed the exhaust manifold you can't unbolt has been working his magic on the pedal box. The pedal box is bolted to the chassis through the body. The two rear bolts are so close to the box frame you can't get a ring spanner in there. A normal spanner can't be used because  the body gets in the way. This leaves a socket. The problem is there's no room for the ratchet so you need a universal coupling. I spent two hours trying and gave up till new tools arrive. I have removed all of the chassis bolts, all of the steering, the radiator housing, radiator and just about everything else. The body is held on by only two pedal box bolts. A bit annoying but OK for three days work. This is one car where it will be quicker to reassemble than take apart! It's in much better shape than the S1 was and so that s should be a much easier restoration. I don't even have to redesign the electrics or remake part of the loom, great! 

I cateloged all of the shims and put them in bags so can post pictures if any one needs them?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TAR said:

@RichardJGC keep us posted on your chassis.

Certainly will. 

Will be getting some photos taken of it going through the process....but the same as on the S300 thread really. 

Ive got boxes of shiny new suspension just waiting for my chassis to come back....can't wait!! ?.

Got a good mind to lay all the bits out and photograph them (Tamiya style)

• Like 1

Some pics to help reassembly. The oil cooler pipe is screwed to the side of the duct with the standard Lotus pipe clips. The earthing strap is connected to the chassis bolt in the footwell. I'm really glad I took this to bits. A lot of work will be needed to get it up to scratch. You can't really tell anything about a car just by looking at it. It doesn't look pretty but is really in quite good nick. All the chassis bolts and other bits are in good condition. Once powder coated and reassembled it will be fab.

• Gold FFM
12 hours ago, Lotusfab said:

Hi Tim. Thanks glad you've got that oil cooler there! I thought the previous owner may have moved it. I still need to remove the shroud that it's in. Thanks Jon. I'm still researching. May have a chat with PNM they have all the jigs and can sort anything on the chassis. I was looking at that cold galvanising paint. Not sure how good it will be. There are quite a number if people that have use the full POR 15 treatment over the galvanised metal. They say it works fine, but I'm not convinced yet. Will need to find a solution soon as I want to get on with it.

I was following a southwest galvanisers truck this week loaded with huge galvanised roofing beams. After reading a bit of your thread just tapped it in Google and it came up with a list of galvanisers left hand side.

Screenshot_2017-06-02-17-55-10.thumb.png.e9e886ca6f5c6cd88c7791ffe24d1df1.png

Also shows Bath size plenty big enough for an Esprit chassis, and collection and delivery service.

3 hours ago, Andyww said:

If the body wont fit there is a serious problem! 

But Pat Thomas used to speak about this, they did have alignment problems after galvanising and on many cars they didnt correct the misalignments to a very high accuracy, such that many cars came out of the factory with suspension misalignments such as camber angles being out which cant be adjusted other than by fitting different adjustable links.

Guess I need to speak to PNM before progressing with Galvanising. the body itself is like a jig in as much as some holes were drilled with the body on. They are aligned over the whole length of the car. If the holes did not match exactly that would be a good indication the chasssis has distorted. Having spent months correctly aligning the S1 chassis my gut feeling is it won't be a problem. Although if PNM could confirm the alignment before building the whole thing, that might be useful. Although a simple matter to take the body off again with my new invention! I have just bought a 1/4 drive universal joint socket so hopefully the two pedal box bolts will,be out tomorrow. If the weather holds will remove the body. 

Yep, I removed lots of seized rivnuts, bolts from all over the car and was defeated buy two newish looking bolts at the rear of the pedal box, but the war is not lost yet!