Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
GFWilliams Purple, Slightly Modified, Exige V6 - Page 50 - V6 Exige Projects & Upgrades - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

GFWilliams Purple, Slightly Modified, Exige V6

On 12/04/2019 at 02:32, GFWilliams said:

IMG_8841.thumb.JPG.b414e13305a764320427a906a9911060.JPG

@GFWilliams -- Hey GF, when did the striping go on the splitter and barge boards?

I, obviously, think it looks good.  ;) 

side1-front.JPG

• Like 1

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige V6 CupR
Track videos ... http://www.youtube.com/jackcup
2010 Lotus Challenge Series ULTRA Class champion
2012 Lotus CUP USA OPEN Class champion

22 minutes ago, Jack said:

@GFWilliams -- Hey GF, when did the striping go on the splitter and barge boards?

I, obviously, think it looks good.  ;) 

I put it on temporarily to see if I like it.  I do like it, but I don't like the yellows not matching.  I will get it done properly in paint at some stage I think. 

I agree on the strip color  -- it's not close enough to pass muster or "mustard" to keep the color theme going.  :D 

Before you paint, have you checked with a local "wrap" installer to get a detailed color chart of available wraps? 

You might get lucky and find one that is "close enough". 

There are several quality "wrap" manufacturers and they will send you samples directly upon request.

Some different manufacturers' sample color charts available here.... http://www.ultimatewrapsfl.com/color-chart/

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige V6 CupR
Track videos ... http://www.youtube.com/jackcup
2010 Lotus Challenge Series ULTRA Class champion
2012 Lotus CUP USA OPEN Class champion

1 minute ago, Jack said:

I agree on the strip color  -- it's not close enough to pass muster or "mustard" to keep the color theme going.  :D 

Before you paint, have you checked with a local "wrap" installer to get a detailed color chart of available wraps? 

You might get lucky and find one that is "close enough". 

There are several quality "wrap" manufacturers and they will send you samples directly upon request.

Some different manufacturers' sample color charts available here.... http://www.ultimatewrapsfl.com/color-chart/

I know you can get very close indeed with wrap, but I'd rather "do it properly" and paint it to get it absolutely perfect.  The car needs a couple of touchups anyway, so I'll get it all done at the same time.

40 minutes ago, GFWilliams said:

As I got the front uprights machined to get 2 degrees of camber, I decided it wasn't necessary and that 215 was plenty of tyre :)

Wuss

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

www.alias23.com

Looking good George, I need to re do my wheel bolts too - wheek refurb place knackered them, so I'll give them a new coat and torque them too.

Still not sure on the rear spats. Sometimes I love them, other times they feel stuck on and not part of the car. Time will tell!

Nothing more cathartic than washing cars - until you find a new scratch or chip or something. 

I have detailing friends who say coating the wheels doesn't negate the need to use elbow grease, just lessened how much was needed. Worth doing as a project in nice weather but definitely not needed.

Car still looks mega - is that from the detailing they did a while back or is it your photography skills that really make it shine? 

@RoflOnMyWaffle - I think the rear spats are like the side skirts, once you have them, the car would look weird without them.  I like how visually they make the car look wider.

Regular cleaning makes it easier to clean wheels.  The performance friction pads leave quite a lot on wheels, but if you keep on top of it with regular washes it's a lot easier to shift it.  I think a ceramic coating will make the washing process easier, plus it gave the wheels a nice deep black, which is another benefit.

The shine is from the detail, it really looks great!   Especially when you consider it's a 50,000 mile car.

• Thanks 1

Good idea! HANS is a must imho with 4/6point harness on track. Better be safe than sorry! Our cars are quite fast and even if you are careful you can always have a mechanical issue or a guy spilling coolant fluid ... 

I can recommend the Simpson Hybrid HANS

• Like 2

@NW76 - my reason for wanting to try a Hans before buying is that @alias23 had problems with his with the Tillett seat.  I’m a bit taller (okay, about 1 foot taller), so hopefully I won’t have any issues.

I believe I might need to change my harnesses to the 2” straps instead of 3” to work with a HANS device.

• Like 1

You're definitely welcome to try mine, I had no issues using mine with my Tillett B6 and although I had the same concerns about strap width, the 3" straps lay happily within the belt guides, and the device itself is specced for all widths, I recall.

14 hours ago, NW76 said:

I can recommend the Simpson Hybrid HANS

+1 for the Simpson Hybrid HANS, some models can also be used with a normal 3 point belt if you have a go or are a passenger in a car without harnesses.

14 hours ago, GFWilliams said:

@NW76 - my reason for wanting to try a Hans before buying is that @alias23 had problems with his with the Tillett seat.  I’m a bit taller (okay, about 1 foot taller), so hopefully I won’t have any issues.

I believe I might need to change my harnesses to the 2” straps instead of 3” to work with a HANS device.

Tillets were fine in my S2, used with 3inch straps and they just fit in. Schroth designed it this way and state it on the data sheet, it makes it a bit bulky but fine when not in a single seater. Rallied with HANS on 3inch belts for a few years apart from taking 20secs longer to seat it in the gulley.

Confirmation here: https://www.schroth.com/en/segments/racing/service/installation-instructions.html?file=files/schroth/pdf/installation-instructions/eas-ab-2019/ea_16-3_fhr_2019-01_online.pdf

ASM is also compatible with HANS

• Like 1

I use my 3 inch Schroth ASM belts (now fitted the correct way round!) with my HANS and it works fine. I use the slightly wider “wings” that came with the HANS device which helps seat the wider straps better

• Like 2

1 hour ago, alias23 said:

Is there any 'dig in' to your back when sat down?

Not in my case, but I guess it will vary person to person.  I'm 6'2" and a bit, so my biggest issue is fitting in the Exige with my helmet on whilst the roof is in place.  I'm still using the original seat which has been lowered and tilted back slightly, but I could still do with more headroom...I have been eyeing up the Tillett options.

• Like 1

Paint your garage walls with white masonry paint; you’ll be amazed how much nicer and larger it makes the space feel. How long was the drive to North Wales btw?