Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Is that an S3 I see?.... - Page 3 - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Is that an S3 I see?....

giorgetto

Good to see Lotus is making (good) use of the exposure on the big screen!

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

This is all very interesting.

I was under the impression that the movie used an Esprit simply because it made a good donor car rather than to feature an Esprit in the movie as such. This was the impression as it has been so heavily modofied. It seems Lotus have latched onto this and are now using it to their advantage. Is this the case, that they didnt know the Esprit was being used until the trailers appeared I wonder?

Its also unusual for Lotus to mention a "heritage" car, although maybe this is a trend with the Bond Evora they recently released. This does not fit in with their recent disposal of their remaining heritage road cars though.

Maybe Lotus did not know at first, who knows.  But reading the competition print they've done a deal with Paramount pictures to use the GITS name and logos on some Evora's, so making the deal official as far as i care.

And the cars looks great, shame the competition isn't to win one!  If i was buying an Evora now I'd take a good look at these as i think the colour is superb, I'd have loved the light blue interior too.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

And we can't go in it from Australia.

Why not?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Thanks for the info Mark! Does this mean the Esprit was standard when sold and the bodywork modifications were done especially for the movie? Seems like a lot of effort for little gain to change the doors etc...

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

Hey Mark,

Great info.  Thanks for sharing.  The chaps at Weta or the Director or Prop Master/Production Designer must be big Loti fans!

I guess they recognise good design when they see it.  Didn't someone once say, good design is timeless? 

The Weta guys would certainly seem to think so.

A mate of a mate is one of the founding members of Weta. I'll see if I can out more. As far as the the Esprit goes, I don't think it would have been modified before Weta got hold of it, but will ask the previous owner when I get the opportunity.

• 1 month later...

Just found this @markt so a bit late to this thread, but here are some photos of the car before Weta Workshop took ownership.  

gits_dc_002.jpg

gits_dc_004.jpg

gits_dc_003.jpg

gits_dc_001.jpg

• Like 1

Rich Miles - Social Media Coordinator - Club Lotus New Zealand

www.clublotus.org.nz 
CLNZ Facebook Page Here
CLNZ YouTube Channel Here

Oh dear, it was a nice one :X

I didn't mind the thought of the studio chopping some old nail about.

Flipside is that increases the models visibility and the £worth of those that are left, just a bit of a shame to lose an apparently perfect xample to do it IMHO :(

• Like 1

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

• Gold FFM

That is a shame to cut up a good one. I was fine with it being the electric one which was already in poor condition but this one looks good in the photos.

• 1 year later...
  • Gold FFM

Was there an Excel in the movie as well? I am pretty sure that the Japanese boss of Section 9 hopped into one in the carpark before a shootup?

It didn't look like it had been touched.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Yep. One of the cooler scenes in the movie IMHO "Don't send a Rabbit to kill a Fox."

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

• Gold FFM

Except for the bullet holes that ended up in it. :D 

• 1 month later...

Anybody headed to L.A. this year?

Ghost in the Shell cars will be on display at The Petersen museum amongst some other beauties

https://petrolicious.com/articles/batmobiles-deloreans-and-more-in-new-peterson-automotive-museum-hollywood-cars-of-the-future-exhibit

Great shot of the police car from Blade Runner!

• Like 1