Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
502M - Page 5 - Projects & Restorations - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

502M

Trunnion 74

Hi Ant,

yes it's a piece of cake with the body off :lol:  I'm toying with the idea of putting polybushes and a new stud in the radius arm mount when it goes back together, ultimately they should last longer.  But you make a good point about access with the body on, bet Lotus had a secret tool for that job :lol:.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Thought I would try my trusty spring comperssors one the front springs today.

58da90ee1bb64_springout.jpg.5459fa228fff4f7948d0d18e5221b0df.jpg

And.

.spring.jpg.c1c020ff25e958a730bbd4761c3212b5.jpg

They did the job! 

The front springs measure 17" is this right?  was expecting them to be longer.  Is there any significance to them having been painted a pale green?

Front all stripped chassis now ready for a blast with the pressure washer.

Onwards!!

I found that (on the side that I hadn't touched!!) by removing a couple of mm of body material I could get a cranked ring spanner on the bolt and it came off a treat.

The driver's side is a different story - an object lesson in taking your time!! I have now removed a large chunk of fibreglass but it is double skinned at that point so I haven't created access from within. In some ways that's a good thing but I'm still struggling. I'm off out tomorrow but will be looking for a 'shagged bolt socket' to give it its technical term to try and get the damned thing out. Once out (?), filling the whole and leaving longer term better access will be straightforward.

Poly bushes in the lower links is a must IMO - getting metalastic bushes in is a mare - from painful experience.

Well done. I'm actually looking forward to getting the Éclat apart............

Is the price for that bit in Yen or £?

• 1 month later...

Thanks Dave,

TJ Powder Coating, Nottingham.  Small business, one man band, which I tend to think are, perhaps, better as it matters if they get it wrong.  They also do wheels as well  :thumbup:

• Like 1

Thanks. I've thought about getting some parts powder coated before. Maybe over winter when the car is in hibernation.

Although the wheels need proper polishing rather than powder coating :)

21 minutes ago, soldave said:

Although the wheels need proper polishing rather than powder coating

Your'e right, polishing or diamond cut, i'm leaning toward diamond cut and treated.

• Like 1

Roland, your efforts continue to impress.

Keeps us all motivated. Top work - I agree, the small 'man in a shed' type operations are often very good, well priced and focused on customer service.

2 hours ago, Trunnion 74 said:

Your'e right, polishing or diamond cut, i'm leaning toward diamond cut and treated.

Didn't know diamond cutting was an option. If you get any quotes locally, be sure to post them up ?

11 hours ago, oilmagnet477 said:

Roland, your efforts continue to impress.

Cheers mate.

"Didn't know diamond cutting was an option. If you get any quotes locally, be sure to post them up ?"

Will do dave

• 1 month later...

You have an engine and a chassis - both of which came from Lotus.

Enjoy it for what it is and don't stress the small stuff B-)

Anyway - what's to forgive - it isn't your fault!

Aside from that, good luck with the continued work - you seem to be taking the right approach - do what you can, when you can. If (I hope) your circumstances change, you can up the pace (albeit you will have less time!)

Good luck

Ant

• Like 1

Same as Ant says Roland ,  

Lovely car when finished and all legit on paper , so who cares,   you own a Lotus and its an elite  , life cant get much better :respect:

Good luck with the rest of the restoration :)

A

• Gold FFM

Keep up the good work Roland. Last year I was in your position with no employment and no income. A very good friend and respected TLF member who was previously unknown to me other than a name on postings on the forum gave me a massive unexpected boost by offering funds and convincing me that I could start a small business. This was never going to be a huge money earner, but certainly kept my sanity while looking for work and I will forever be indebted to that man. Eventually after 11 months I manage to find employment which once again meant I could, after catching up on domestic bill's, could start on the toy's again and all the time keeping our little business ticking over. All you need is one lucky break to get back up and running, and it will happen. You never know, maybe a mention of what kind of work you are involved in may just find an opening through the huge TLF network.

As for your Elite, keep us posted with how your getting on with her, everyone on here likes to keep an interest and are more than willing to help out with any queries you may have.

• Like 2

I was out of work a few years back - it's even on my resto thread! and i have not looked back since but it feels like a precarious position to be in. Keep your chin up and don't stop searching. keep in touch with our friends and make new ones while you have the time 'cause you don;t known what will turn up. 

• 4 months later...

Hi, Jan

The unit is a Philips 22RN712 Car Stereo Cassette Radio Recorder.  It features in all the interior publicity shots that I have seen and is the one everyone appears to looks for.  Not aware of any other factory fitted units.

It lets you to dictate memo's and stuff whilst on the move, for your secretary back at the office.  It was, after all, a vehicle made for the captains of industry back in the 70s.

During my search for one I got the impression they were rarer than a rare thing on a rare night in Raresville!!  I was lucky to get it as bidding got quite frisky towards the end.  There is a shop in Holland avertising one of these, if you are interested  NOS

https://www.oldtimerautoradio.nl/a-45963682/philips-oldtimer/philips-rn-712-nos-radio-cassette-turnolock/

You might want to make sure you're sat down when you visit the page though, they're asking rather a lot of money for it !!!  :shock:

Haha, so there is a Dutch part in the Lotus :)   I keep an eye open for this radio, but not want to pay that amount. Of course this is probably totally restored and working.  Not necessary for me, just want to fit in a radio which should belong in the car of that era. 

• 3 months later...