Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Red Turbo Esprit recommission project - Page 22 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Red Turbo Esprit recommission project

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
6 hours ago, Lotusfab said:

Thanks Wayne.. do you use an alignment tool to put it on the crank. I'm think you don't really need one. Just grease crank, slip on and bolt up evenly? Cheers.

Yes that’s about the measure of it. Just make sure the lip of the seal is in the forward position rather than folder back on its self. 

Suspension, brakes, chipped, chargecooler rad and pump,injectors,ignition coils and leads, BOV, highflow cat and zorst, Translator and tie rods, Head lights, LEDs to tail lights and interior,Polybushes to entire front end, Rad fans, rad grill, front end refurb with aluminium spreaderplates and galvanised bolts. Ram air, uprated fuel pump, silicone hoses through out, wheels refurbed and powder coated,much more, all maintenance.

Made the new change over switch for the mirrors and converted the cigar lighter to a usb plug. The mirrors work perfectly with the toggle and switching all 4 lives through the new 4pole double throw switch is a total solution. 

B751EB45-BDAF-4A89-8065-5986363B4CA8.jpeg

• Like 2

Suspension, brakes, chipped, chargecooler rad and pump,injectors,ignition coils and leads, BOV, highflow cat and zorst, Translator and tie rods, Head lights, LEDs to tail lights and interior,Polybushes to entire front end, Rad fans, rad grill, front end refurb with aluminium spreaderplates and galvanised bolts. Ram air, uprated fuel pump, silicone hoses through out, wheels refurbed and powder coated,much more, all maintenance.

Thought I might improve the running with these babies. 

10BCCB67-B199-4008-BF8B-D44B777EE409.jpeg

E8F15D8C-EFE6-41D4-A795-E2B6BBECDCB2.jpeg

4 hours ago, Lotusfab said:

If that's a new distributor it may not have an internal seal and leak. I bought one and had to put the old one back on due oil leaks.

It’s the accuspark. Direct replacement apparently. Hope you’re wrong on this occasion. 

Having a real mare trying to get the car sparking. Run all the checks from the manual but still no spark

It is worth checking if they have fitted the internal oil seal. I know from experience if this is faulty, oil leaks into the distributor body then runs out between the cap and body.

It could likely be fitted but it involves counterboring the distributor body which is what was done on the Lotus ones. There is no other oil seal on the distributor end of the oil pump shaft. This issue doesnt arise on other cars so the standard ones from Lucas dont have this seal. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, top-plumber said:

It’s the accuspark. Direct replacement apparently. Hope you’re wrong on this occasion. 

Having a real mare trying to get the car sparking. Run all the checks from the manual but still no spark

Sadly I think that's the one I had, could be wrong though.

1 hour ago, Lotusfab said:

Sadly I think that's the one I had, could be wrong though.

I contacted them and they assured me there is no problem. So at least I have some recourse if it leaks I suppose. 

Mmm maybe they modified it. When aI bought mine they assured me it was for an S1. Oil pissed out everywhere! There was no internal oil seal. So aI reckoned the original and no probs.

The problem was the Lotus engine runs on its side. Normally they are verticle so there's no oil issues.

Noticed that SJ now sell the seals:

https://www.sjsportscars.com/parts-and-accessories/SJ754.htm

I spent ages trying to find the right size when I replaced mine. From the picture they are using 12mm ID, as I ended up with, which is pretty tight on the shaft, 22mm OD, but 5mm thick whereas I used 4mm thick.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Andyww said:

Noticed that SJ now sell the seals:

https://www.sjsportscars.com/parts-and-accessories/SJ754.htm

I spent ages trying to find the right size when I replaced mine. From the picture they are using 12mm ID, as I ended up with, which is pretty tight on the shaft, 22mm OD, but 5mm thick whereas I used 4mm thick.

Where does it sit Andy Inside the unit? 

45 minutes ago, top-plumber said:

Where does it sit Andy Inside the unit? 

Yes its in a machined recess inside the body at the base. I should have taken some pics when I had it apart.

• Thanks 1

This seal was missing on the new distributor I bought. It seem to run perfectly until I noticed a pool of oil forming underneath it. It was a slow oil leak, due no seal!

Nice picture Jerry.

8 hours ago, JerryS said:

Here's a pic.

I found the 5mm seal was too thick

Yes I recall I found that also. I ordered a 5mm one first from Simplybearings then ordered a 4mm one.

This is the vacuum pump and manifold setup that I’m using to improve the operation of the servo. Not in its final position but seems to run ok at first tests. Got a small leak on a pipe somewhere but that is an easy fix. 

Thanks to Ian Lord for the help with the manifold parts and installation input. 

The car isn’t running yet but will report back as and when. 

4E1FA7BB-85BF-46C1-9FEF-490794465389.jpeg

Put a dump valve on the elan if anyone is interested 😂😂😂✌️

647855F1-804C-47EB-9769-F067F862CC99.jpeg

Really interested in how the vacuum pump works out. I got as far as buying a pump from a VW Touareg and vacuum switch but thats all.

Still thinking about the various ways to plumb it in. I think I need to get at least one non-return valve. Is that white thing a non-return valve?

Using a manifold to join things together is a good idea.

Are you leaving the engine vacuum connection in, as backup?

1 minute ago, Andyww said:

Really interested in how the vacuum pump works out. I got as far as buying a pump from a VW Touareg and vacuum switch but thats all.

Still thinking about the various ways to plumb it in. I think I need to get at least one non-return valve. Is that white thing a non-return valve?

Using a manifold to join things together is a good idea.

Are you leaving the engine vacuum connection in, as backup?

Correct on all points there Andy. Ian lord supplied the manifold. And pump bracket. All nicely engineered I think. There might be a case for an accumulator at some point depending on performance. A lot of support from Ian and his excellent work with the S4s brake conversion which seems to have solved the brake pump and ABS issues. All his research is very useful. 

Yes I was wondering about an accumulator but the servo itself essentially is an accumulator.

The Toureg pump from Ebay came with its bracket and anti-vibration mounts which was great. I am thinking two non-return valves needed, one from existing engine takeoff to manifold and one from pump to manifold. Then a relay with a direct from battery feed switched to the pump, and the relay coil controlled by the vac switch from an ignition-switch feed.

1 hour ago, Andyww said:

Yes I was wondering about an accumulator but the servo itself essentially is an accumulator.

The Toureg pump from Ebay came with its bracket and anti-vibration mounts which was great. I am thinking two non-return valves needed, one from existing engine takeoff to manifold and one from pump to manifold. Then a relay with a direct from battery feed switched to the pump, and the relay coil controlled by the vac switch from an ignition-switch feed.

That is exactly what I have done. Also kept the vacuum to the intake manifold serving the heating dampers and the servo I case the pump was to malfunction. Total solution I reckon. Let’s see when I’m up and running. Unless you do the job and can update me..👍