Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Lotus Exige Sport 380 - Page 44 - V6 Exige Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Lotus Exige Sport 380

TLF News

On 28/11/2016 at 10:33, The Pits said:

Yes anyone can fit an LSD. But who outside Lotus would you trust to be able to set it up and get it working properly? It's not a simple job plus then you have the issue of how it works with the car's electronics which act like a diff anyway. I would rather wait for Lotus to fit one if they feel it's necessary. Lots of moaning online about Lotus not fitting LSDs but McLaren don't use them either and they set pretty good laptimes last time I checked!

Regarding LSD I had a lengthy discussion about it with Mr Gibson and in their opinion, the electronic solution is far better and reactive than a mechanical one for the road cars.  The car is already very stable doesn't spin much, turns flat on it's 4 wheels, doesn't turn on 3 wheels, etc. etc. and the LSD would take more time to react when/if necessary than the electronic version. It would also increase understeer. He also mentioned the fact that supercars like McLaren and I don't remember which Lamborghini do not bother having one either.. For the race cars it's a different story given the fact that they are on slicks which react much more quickly and aggressively and in these instances it make more sense. And also the Electronic Differential is always on, even when you switch DPM to OFF. It works pretty much like an ABS would. Voilà, that's about what I've learned that I can remember, but it was convincing enough unless you put slicks on your car from time to time. If I'd put one on with K-T, I'd go for the Torsen type from Quaife.

On 21/04/2017 at 12:09, Jokke Vlo said:

Conclusion:

- 2.46 is a time you can drive without taking a lot of risk once you know the car better. 

- Motor management/gearbox ratio is dramatic (and I mean really dramatic) for track use

- Car lacks an lsd

- Cup tyres vs Trofeo tyres? 

- Fuel tank of 48 is still a joke on this car. 

- Aero and steering is really better , no joke

- For road use this is a perfect Exige, really really nice. For track the car is not in balance (motor/gearbox/lsd).

- Springs (especially front) on the nitrons are to soft for this car

Do you think "close ratios" would help solve part of the problems ??? Or won't change anything ????? 

Regarding your comments don't you think it could be different on a different track ? Racing teams adjust the settings (suspension, ratios, etc.) to the track also.

Edited by Swiss360Cup
precision

51 minutes ago, Swiss360Cup said:

Regarding LSD I had a lengthy discussion about it with Mr Gibson and in their opinion, the electronic solution is far better and reactive than a mechanical one for the road cars.  The car is already very stable doesn't spin much, turns flat on it's 4 wheels, doesn't turn on 3 wheels, etc. etc. and the LSD would take more time to react when/if necessary than the electronic version. It would also increase understeer. He also mentioned the fact that supercars like McLaren and I don't remember which Lamborghini do not bother having one either.. For the race cars it's a different story given the fact that they are on slicks which react much more quickly and aggressively and in these instances it make more sense. And also the Electronic Differential is always on, even when you switch DPM to OFF. It works pretty much like an ABS would. Voilà, that's about what I've learned that I can remember, but it was convincing enough unless you put slicks on your car from time to time. If I'd put one on with K-T, I'd go for the Torsen type from Quaife.

All very good marketing. Did he Rodger they put an LSD in the Evora 400?

The electronics have to see a wheel speed difference before they intervene is reactive

A diff is working all the time.

For road use the exige doesn't need a diff.

I find myself adjusting how much input goes into the car to stop the inside wheel spinning up. I have also had lots of tweakage on the dampers ( back at nitron 3 times) to improve track performance Inc wheel spin.

On 25/11/2016 at 12:49, MesTCS said:

And yeah, I meant to mention that there seems to be no trouble with H&T in the video. However, I did read somewhere that someone actually from Lotus has confirmed that the new cars do indeed have a map to stop both pedals being "on" at the same time. Seems that you need to do it in the correct order or the system restricts the throttle. All because of American legislation. If that is indeed the case, why not have two maps, one for America, one for the rest of the world? The map without the restrictions exists already, what's the problem? Don't see why we should have such a restrictive set up just because another country wants it.

My dealer confirmed that proper H&T was not possible because of this restriction of the two pedals being active at the same time. Easy way to check is in neutral to brake with your left foot and accelerate with the other .... Any one tried ???

33 minutes ago, Seriouslylotus said:

All very good marketing. Did he Rodger they put an LSD in the Evora 400?

The electronics have to see a wheel speed difference before they intervene is reactive

A diff is working all the time.

For road use the exige doesn't need a diff.

I find myself adjusting how much input goes into the car to stop the inside wheel spinning up. I have also had lots of tweakage on the dampers ( back at nitron 3 times) to improve track performance Inc wheel spin.

Well, I'd have to try out for myself to judge, that's for sure..

On 04/03/2017 at 20:29, M4rk said:

Exciting times ahead!!  Your 380 seemed to get built in good time, that's a good sign things are flowing well at Hethel.

We were told at Hethel that it would take 3 weeks from start to finish a car... the rest of the time gets lost in the sales and delivery logistics :) 

• Gold FFM

In the 400 at least, heel and toe  is easy with a little bit of practise. Left foot braking not so much, tried it once and the cars ECU threw a hissy fit

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

5 hours ago, Swiss360Cup said:

My dealer confirmed that proper H&T was not possible because of this restriction of the two pedals being active at the same time. Easy way to check is in neutral to brake with your left foot and accelerate with the other .... Any one tried ???

This is NOT the case in Sport or Race mode. I had never experienced this so called problem on my Sport 350, so was actually at a track night tonight and can confirm that in normal mode (not Sport or Race) this is indeed the case, which I had never noticed as I never drive the car in normal mode. It will not let you rev with the brake applied in normal mode. Not an issue in the other modes though. I can't see how they ever would sell any Exige if they physically stopped you being able to H&T, the car would be useless on track :)

Frankly most of the time I H&T but I never noticed any restrictions of some sort... probably because I'm in Sport or Race mode all the time but I'll check anyway..... but thanks for the clarification

No issue with heel and toe in a V6 Cup, in any mode, very easy car for it. But it won't allow left foot braking. Not sure how it tells the difference but it can. Fine if you brake first then blip I guess. But braking before you lift off the throttle causes it to engage limp home mode essentially. Not for long but it's definitely not impressed with your driving!

• Like 1

I'm fairly certain it's an EU Directive after 1 or 2 people accelerated into a wall as well as braked in their confusion when about to crash! Lowest common denominator... 

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

16 hours ago, Swiss360Cup said:

Voilà, that's about what I've learned

So, what about all the engine questions you were going to ask? I wait with baited breath..

thanks

Mark

Well I'm afraid I didn't get much... regarding the heat problem, it's acknowledged but not a big issue for them, only temporary in certain circumstances and doesn't impair the power output for a long time......................... regarding the charge cooled, the car is a shoe box, so it would necessitate to change a lot of things and somehow develop a new car..... however I was mentioned that the solutions discussed on the forum where quite interesting including the water spraying.... I was also told they were continuing developing the Exige though they could not tell me exactly what they were doing with it....... You see.... I didn't get much and we can only speculate about what it will be in the future...... and when the future will materialize..... sorry. Maybe the other members going up there next week can get more from them.....

I've seen some Kawasaki green on the production floor..... don't know wether it was yours.....but it caught everybody's eye...... one of the top colors people noticed with the Military Grey...... Congratulations.

7 hours ago, Mark030358 said:

Thanks Antoine, appreciated.

regards

mark

It's a little bit disappointing that Lotus doesn't seem to be willing to do something about this loss of power with the increase in operating temperature.... in the North of Europe it might be ok, but for us, going on a track means going to Monza, Missano, Mugello,, Castellet, Ledenon.. the further North we go is Spa, Nurburgring and Bugatti.... and it can be very hot in August in Le Mans, not talking about Mugello and Le Castellet... there you might have a hard time catching up with Megane RS if the power is restrained in ambiant temperature well into the 30 C.... I wish Lotus would do something about it since the problem is  acknowledged...... because getting passed by a hairdresser in a 718 S is not an experience I'm looking for :driving:

• Like 2

Nice look except the back, i prefer the old one of the 350 sport.

Shame on the step by step of lotus's philosopy: no intercooler or chargecooler yet.

But all tecnology is now in same production line of 3.11 and evora 400...

So Exige 400 i suppose is ready and it is only question of when they will sold all the v6 equipped whit the heatsocked addicted eaton sc.

For now if i could, i'll never buy one but i'll wait for the chargecooled one.

T_19_EVORA400_Supercharger.jpg

12 minutes ago, IcemanTM said:

For now if i could, i'll never buy one but i'll wait for the chargecooled one.

It will be a long wait because there won't be one. The front end would have to be redesigned in order to fit the radiator for the chargecooler. 

3.11 style clam?

Or change also crashbox etc? any draw?

Nothing impossible, the current design is from 2012, maybe a major restyle is coming.

1 hour ago, IcemanTM said:

3.11 style clam?

Or change also crashbox etc? any draw?

Nothing impossible, the current design is from 2012, maybe a major restyle is coming.

Changing the crashbox?! Uh you may want to wait for a while, that would require crash testing with EuroNCAP.

A change on front end would mean a new front clamshell, provided they keep some key points the same they don't need new homologation but a 3 Eleven clamshell definitely would as it is quite different.