Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Is it time to sell the Esprit ? - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Is it time to sell the Esprit ?

Whirlybird

That is the question.

We moved to Devon just over a year ago. Although I have been busy refurbishing a couple of holiday cottages, https://www.holidaycottages.co.uk/devon/north-devon/moor-parks-barn, (shameless plug) I have only driven the Esprit about 4 times since we moved. After a heavy wind storm, a chimney guard came off and fell on the bonnet (was no garage). The car is in for repair and front end respray now, whilst removing the bumper they found evidence of mice chewing wires which they will repair.

this will be the second mouse attack. My wife's 2 month old car also got attacked by mice and needed a new wire loom under the bonnet.

i now have a barn to put my vehicles in, but as the Esprit doesn't get driven that much, do I keep it ?

Am I just waiting for the next mouse attack?

I have CDO, it's like OCD but all the letters are in alphabetical order, AS THEY SHOULD BE !

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

You need an ultrasonic scarer box....

Although - yellow gt3 ?? - you might be better off flogging it in the new year when my v8 is sold

Only here once

We have a barn with some horses, a donkey, sheep and some pigs, and nearby is a small forest. So we always use a bunch of ultra sonic qnit mice devices. And a bunch of traps with poison.

Works a charm. Using these when it became autoum, in 2 weeks: 11 dead mice and the rest on the run towards the bodercontrol to germany or sweden.

And no chewn wires etc.

Kind regards,

Jacques.

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

If you get a fair price for it then it's a good time to sell.  Mine's always for sale, just haven't received a big enough offer yet.

Re: the mice problem.  We use to dip them in metho and have mouse races down the hallways of our airforce accommodation.  They also fit in those model rockets (as payloads / astromice).

• Like 1

Simon  (94 S4)      My Esprit will be for sale in late 2017

Leave it in your barn for the next 4 decades. Ignore it, let the mice chew the wires, use the interior to store chicken feed and the roof as a shelf.

The advertise it on Ebay as a "barn find" and reap the rewards! £££££££££££££££££££££££££

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

19 hours ago, jack.pe said:

Hold on to it.. prices should stillgoupinthe next year or so. Might become out of reach if you ever decided you wanted one again..

Something is going on... I was close to that Red GT3 for sale last month, it sold privately for £21k to a trader who traded it to another trader (UK Sports) who sold it to a German buyer for £31k... 

If it's a nice one keep it as it looks like Esprits are of particular interest! 

As aside I sold my old 964 for £11600 about 7 years ago, I believe the same car is about £30 - 40k depending on which trader you go to these days... Doh!!☹️ (It used to cost £2k a year to service properly and I didn't have a garage so not quite as straight forward to keep as an investment).

If you don't need the cash I'd keep it subject to maintenance costs, do the sums before selling?

On 05/12/2016 at 17:41, Loose Cannon said:

Leave it in your barn for the next 4 decades. Ignore it, let the mice chew the wires, use the interior to store chicken feed and the roof as a shelf.

The advertise it on Ebay as a "barn find" and reap the rewards! £££££££££££££££££££££££££

Sounds like the V8 that @Barrykearley bought...

• Like 1

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)

On 06/12/2016 at 11:11, auRouge said:

Something is going on... I was close to that Red GT3 for sale last month, it sold privately for £21k to a trader who traded it to another trader (UK Sports) who sold it to a German buyer for £31k... 

If it's a nice one keep it as it looks like Esprits are of particular interest! 

As aside I sold my old 964 for £11600 about 7 years ago, I believe the same car is about £30 - 40k depending on which trader you go to these days... Doh!!☹️ (It used to cost £2k a year to service properly and I didn't have a garage so not quite as straight forward to keep as an investment).

If you don't need the cash I'd keep it subject to maintenance costs, do the sums before selling?

With regard to 964s a good C2 manual is £50K a good C4 manual £40sh.. cars below those prices will be needing work

I loved mine but it wasn't a £40k car... It was a bargain under £15k and I'd have another for £20k but I'd rather an Evora at the £30 to 40k mark. 

The elephant in the room with them is that you're in for at least £1500 - 2000 a year servicing before anything goes wrong or wear and tear (Porsche parts are eyewateringly expensive). Remember it's basically a 30 year old car now. They rust around the windscreen and rear arches and need a £6k top end rebuild after 60-80k miles... and then they still leak oil. Clutches go after 50k and they do about 15- 18 miles to the gallon...  Not a cheap car to run as a toy, unlike my JC T25 Elise SC(£282 annual service ?).

Lovely flat six noise and classic shape make it a fun car to own. The drivetrain is a joy to drive, the transmission is better than a modern lotus and the interiors are excellent.

About 130 for sale... owners are cashing in on the bubble!!?