Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Dry Sump Register - Page 7 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Dry Sump Register

LOTUSMAN33

• Gold FFM
4 minutes ago, Gotti said:

Yes my girlfriend wants one.

But sorry, cash is out, i own a Lotus :)

Win win - Alan's got some spare kidneys - you've got a lotus.......

• Like 2

Only here once

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Your girlfriend wants:

a) a dry sump Turbo - marry her immediately
b) a child - um, I'm sure that you can manage this. If not then just shout
c) a kidney - if she type matches mine she can have it for free. It has been well preserved in alcohol...

• Like 1

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)

IMG_0246.PNG

Another 2 cars added 0938 and 1154 - We now have 80 cars listed excluding Stephens which is a good effort so far, still we have a few cars but no chassis numbers to identify and add.

Dave :) 

Do or do not, there is no try! 

• Gold FFM

Dave not sure how you have managed this with out all my help:P. This is brilliant sorry mate been away with the family for mothers 70th got back today I don't see what I can do to help but getting this together is really interesting it's now about filling the gaps which is a lot easier now. Great work just was telling my jet lagged wife and boy was she interested 

• Like 1

No worries Dan hope you enjoyed the holiday mate, like you I am not sure where we go from here as I have exhausted the internet I think. ?

Still hoping we can identify these soon;

PPK65X - Blue car with Red interior on Comps

AVR71Y - Red October 82 car - Showing as SORN

NYF665Y - Black car with tan interior on BBS, Oct 82 owned by Wurzel (Tod)

WPC239X - White car with tan interior on BBS with roof stereo - Ex MalcolmS

LVR912W - White car with red interior on Comps, May 81

YAH868X - Red car with Comps, April 82 - last taxed in 1999

VRH665W - Red car with black leather on Comps - May 1981 car but last MOT'd in 2007.

XEW366X - Red with tan leather on BBS - Feb 82 car

VRH665W - Red car with black leather on Comps - May 1981 car but last MOT'd in 2007.

XEW366X - Red with tan leather on BBS - Feb 82 car

WNG37X - White car with Essex decal, Red Leather on BBS - Nov 81 - last taxed in 1995 showing as exported - ex Andyww 

• Like 2

IMG_0161.JPG

This is definitely a strange car KOX595W, 1980 model with a 3.5 litre engine?

Anyone know the story behind it? Was it a Lotus V8 car or has a Rover V8 been fitted later in its life?

Registration number:KOX 595W

✗ Untaxed

Tax due: 01 October 1993

MOT

No details held by DVLA

Vehicle details

Vehicle make LOTUS

Date of first registration August 1980

Year of manufacture 1980

Cylinder capacity (cc) 3528 cc

CO₂Emissions Not available

Fuel type PETROL

Export marker No

Vehicle status Not taxed

Vehicle colour BLACK

Vehicle type approval Not available

Wheelplan 2 AXLE RIGID BODY

I emailed Andy Graham to check whether he had any record of the chassis number of the car I used to own, but he replied that they didnt keep records based on registration numbers.

He suggested an online HPI check would reveal the VIN number but that costs £19.95 and I dont really have any reason for knowing it other than interest.

• Like 1

Andy

I will be doing this soon as did similar with the Early M100's while investigating IB10 my development car. 

I buy block bookings then you just spend ages inputting what you think the chassis numbers are until you hit the jackpot. It can get costly hence why I am holding off until we fill more gaps.

I may see what Andy Graham will charge to spend some time helping with the gaps.

I have been busy on it this afternoon and we are up to 93 cars currently with a couple more I am checking on.

I think your car is currently sitting two above Stephens until we can confirm it's place, it would be nice to find out where it is now?

IMG_0270.PNG

• Like 1

Chassis 1153 Dry Sump is for sale in Czech for €15000, RHD UK car;

IMG_2721.JPGIMG_2722.JPGIMG_2723.JPGIMG_2724.JPGIMG_2725.JPGIMG_2726.JPGIMG_2727.JPG

Engine removed for a gearbox fault, replacement box being supplied by the seller, looks like a good original car and I like the interior as was the same as my 1981 S3.

• Like 1

The sump being there is a bit of a giveaway...

The oil filler cap is in the location of an HC engine but the cam covers etc are black not red. It does not have the vacuum rail which early engines have and the inlet manifold looks like it might be an HC type but not sure.

Water pump is from an HC engine with integral thermostat.

Most of the engine is a non-A/C early wet-sump LC though. It has an A/C 3-row crank pulley. 

So definitely had an engine change at sometime as a Dry Sump car by chassis number, did this happen often and was it easy enough to achieve?

Shame but still a nice car, I will email the seller for some engine bay photos to see if the oil tank is still present.

Hopefully I will learn more about these engines when I remove mine sometime this year, I have only removed Stevens Turbo engines and early N/A variants.

The joy of the forum is always the knowledge to hand ???

Thanks Stu, I wonder how many? Might have to add another column if lots and have a tick box to confirm still Dry Sumped...

I will hold off on Andy Graham for a little longer so he can see we have done all we can as a forum first, I still think we can get to a 100 cars by February ???

Another owner who has a nice car to add;

IMG_0249.JPG

IMG_0250.JPG

I have PM'd him as looks like another superb Copper Dry Sump!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Stuart Monument said:

Apparently the factory swapped a lot of dry sump engines to wet sump as they had reliability issues! Might be another Andy Graham question 

Not heard that before.

They did have a crank endfloat issue and I remember Graham Arnold saying they had a few melted pistons owing to wastegates sticking shut but not heard anything specific to the dry-sump.

8 hours ago, LOTUSMAN33 said:

Thanks Stu, I wonder how many? Might have to add another column if lots and have a tick box to confirm still Dry Sumped...

I will hold off on Andy Graham for a little longer so he can see we have done all we can as a forum first, I still think we can get to a 100 cars by February ???

Another owner who has a nice car to add;

IMG_0249.JPG

IMG_0250.JPG

I have PM'd him as looks like another superb Copper Dry Sump!

Dave, would you mind asking him what rear tyres are on the car?