Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Future of Lotus - Page 63 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Future of Lotus

As well as the now seemingly moribund SUV, JMG also spoke about a "4-11" kind of car. Nico alludes to this above. It was supposed to be a replacement for the 3-11, but not as raw. I thought this might have since turned out to be the Evora GT430, but maybe there was something else in the pipeline, which is now coming to fruition?

17 minutes ago, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

As well as the now seemingly moribund SUV, JMG also spoke about a "4-11" kind of car. Nico alludes to this above. It was supposed to be a replacement for the 3-11, but not as raw. I thought this might have since turned out to be the Evora GT430, but maybe there was something else in the pipeline, which is now coming to fruition?

I honestly -maybe candidly- doubt the SUV is moribund... I Actually think it is well and truly coming pretty much in 2022, therefore as per the plan hinted when Geely took over and prior to the nomination of Popham. It could be time delayed by the construction of the factory where it is supposed to be built or also by a redesign but there's a lot of smoke and mirrors and Lotus is at its best when they don't say a word and then sting. It may piss everybody out (journos and prospective clients) but at this point it is pretty much part of the company culture. Popham interview in FT was an exercise in not saying much...

If you look at Popham interview, he hints at the next generation sport cars being ready in 3/4 years... That puts in in 2022/23... So if we think about this an almost customary one year delay when a new CEO is appointed and reviews a business plan. The thing is, it's a 3/4 year development time but when did the work start really start? At the time of the interview? No! Definitely prior to Popham got the job, just as the hiring spree started prior to Popham nomination under Feng. 

As for the 4-11 It could very well be the name of Project Omega. 3-11 was the ultimate track weapon for Lotus, raw and uncompromised, I think the next halo car for Lotus is going to be just what JMG initially promised with a twist: an EV propulsion system provided by Williams. I'm also betting on the fact that it will be a coupe and not a spyder... Anyway we are edging ever closer to the Shanghai autoshow...We will hopefully get to know more by then.

I believe a return to motorsport announcement is imminent, it is the most cost effective way to get people to talk about the brand and if Popham said he doubts Lotus will ever get back into F1, Lotus needs to have a motorsport program. With any luck either the new VVA based sport car or Project Omega will be used by Lotus in the motorsport arena. That will do the trick to keep the brand in the news while the heavy lifting goes on behind the scene. I think both cars will be right at home in WEC/Le Mans 24 and or IMSA.

Interesting bit about that new Germany R&D centre, this one totally flew under the radar... How far is it from Nurburg? 

Lets hope that all the connected and automated driving nannies can be fully disconnected.

• Like 2

"The next car we will announce is a new GT version of the Evora. It will be more powerful, and with more features. That will be the immediate offering," says Popham.

- the only confirmation Popham would provide was that of an all-new sports car. “You’re likely to see something toward the end of next year,” he says. “It won’t go on sale until after that, maybe the following year or so, but this is going to be more a volume product.” He promises that it will “still absolutely still have the DNA of Lotus—handling, lightweight, on-road dynamics,” but he predicts that it will appeal to a greater number of people because it will address “the hygiene factors the brand has been deficient in, in terms of things like space, ergonomics, and technology.” This car will start in the same price range that the Evora occupies right now, and go up from there.

I'm  wondering, now, whether the GT version of the Evora is what's coming to the US market or if he means there will be one last edition...

Same with the dates for the all-new car, 'end of next year/on sale the year after' could be referring to the US market?

Hurry up, Shanghai Motor Show 2019 - we need some clarity!

My best guess is that the Evora GT will be largely some amalgam of current offerings and serve as a stop gap.  Then there will be a “new” Evora which will have more power and better ergonomics.  This model is designed to carry Lotus until entirely new models are brought to market in 3-4 years.

Of course the GT and the “new” Evora could be the same car.  Hard to know given how much info Lotus shares with the public

2 hours ago, NedaSay said:

A new variant of the EVORA makes sense although I as an Enthusiast would like them to rename it for the new future, and as for the statement

"In case the brand thrives in its latest incarnation, we look forward to driving a Chinese-built, all-electric, autonomously-driven Lotus SUV in the middle of this decade. We think that vehicle may be a perfect opportunity to revive the Elan nameplate. Don’t you? "

NO Way, new future new names. Companies that reuse old name as a marketing strategy rely on history to sell cars and finish making white goods car to compete in the general market, and I site MASERATI as prime example. Their hay day finished with the Khamsin. They reused the Ghibili name with the horrid twin turbo Contina's and 4 door cars ever since, sorry I feel so strongly about this but, just don't do it, Lotus your better than that, retain that clever innovative way in which Chapman would be proud.

• Like 1

Uh muricans at their best or worst... It's all about the nameplate, ain't no need for substance behind it.

Some do wonder why future Lotus may have autonomous tech... The average wealthy murican can't control his mustang... 

In the meantime Group Lotus just posted on the 20th of march another 100 positions to be filled asap, many of which in vehicle dynamics... 

@Bibs can you reassure me?  Gavan Kershaw has been kidnapped by the new powers that be, and golden handcuffed to his Hethel lab, hasn't he?

By Habs are you referring to the players from the Montreal Canadian hockey Team, cause they are generally doing quite ok... but do have so so taste in car, Porsche Cayenne and SUV galore on the parking lot.

Not news as such, but heavyweight concrete into foundations for the future:  The ‘Tesla Effect’ hits Germany as VW, Daimler, and BMW fully commit to EVs.

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-mission-elon-musk-master-plan-vw-bmw-daimler/amp/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

Gather ye rosebuds while ye may.................

On 21/03/2019 at 16:48, NedaSay said:

Interesting bit about that new Germany R&D centre, this one totally flew under the radar... How far is it from Nurburg? 

Looking at the job offers on LinkedIn, this seems to be in Frankfurt. They are currently hiring managers, responsible for recruiting general staff. Geely only has major offices in China, Sweden, and the taxi stuff in Coventry, so I think it makes sense for them to have some R&D in Germany as well. My guess is that Lotus won't be affected too much by this.

• Thanks 1

I spotted this in the linked article, has he made this up

Perhaps even more exciting for enthusiasts and fans of the brand, next year Lotus will also reveal a wild new concept for its top-secret Project Omega -- a $4 million pure-electric hypercar that it is creating to rival cars from McLaren, Ferrari and Bugatti.

https://www.carsales.com.au/editorial/details/watch-lotus-evora-slide-its-way-into-the-silly-season-116267/?utm_source=Responsys&utm_campaign=carsales_Newsletter_Automated_2019_03_26_V1&utm_medium=email&utm_membership_id=CEF612C5-BEB1-40EF-A4A9-B5E03603AA45&utm_content=carsalesc.8167325

Am I the only one who is sick and tired of multi-million dollar hyper cars???  Who cares???  You will only likely see the car in a YouTube or magazine.  The few that are sold will sit in collector’s garages.  And the following month, the public will probably be teased by another unobtainable hypercar from yet another car maker.

FAR more interesting would be an attempt to bring hypercar tech to a more affordable price point.  We can argue about the success of Honda’s attempt, but at least Honda did try to bring some hypercar tech to the NSX at a far more reasonable price point.

Lotus does not need a hypercar, the brand needs to update and expand its current line-up.  A hypercar is just a distraction

I went out last night for the first time in a while in my little 245bhp Type 116. After a few recent blasts in the 410 Sport all I can see is the little VX just blew me away!  It's just the right size for UK roads. It's easy to position on the road and it just fits like an old slipper!  I was grinning all the way. I can only imagine how much better a late model Elise 220/250 CUP would be and am thinking at some point I do need to own one. Given the new fooking crazy legislation in 2022 re speed limited cars these could very well be some of the best cars to own in the future as there are currently no plans to force retro-fitting and this is not the usual case form.

• Like 1

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!