Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Future of Lotus - Page 87 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Future of Lotus

Sometimes it is good to dip your toe first....I bought a NA Evora, thinking it would be a bit slow but I wanted to get in at the lower price bracket just to be sure I liked the Evora experience. 

Wow! A keeper. 2 years in, I hope to never sell it. I have now driven S, 400 and 410 but I still love the normally aspirated. The NA is a tad frustrating on the autobahns but still very enjoyable and gets to 140mph briskly enough. And I am only in Germany a few times a year, so it hardly matters.

Ideally, I would also have a 400, maybe even an IPS to compliment the NA. Given just one though, dollar for dollar I would take the NA.

Justin 

• Like 1

No-one I know at Lotus was talking about an Elan at all in 2019. Much as I like the idea, I have no idea where this rumour came from.

'Some time in 2021' could easily mean 2022 before any customers get their hands on the new Evora based car. Another 2 years without a new car to sell is very tough on dealers. The recent GT410 is a sensible thing to offer but is just an option pack. Before that the most recent model update was the GT410 Sport in 2018. Progress you could describe as glacial at best. JMG's model launches were a not well timed in some instances but talk about out of the frying pan and into the fire!

1 hour ago, The Pits said:

No-one I know at Lotus was talking about an Elan at all in 2019. Much as I like the idea, I have no idea where this rumour came from.

'Some time in 2021' could easily mean 2022 before any customers get their hands on the new Evora based car. Another 2 years without a new car to sell is very tough on dealers. The recent GT410 is a sensible thing to offer but is just an option pack. Before that the most recent model update was the GT410 Sport in 2018. Progress you could describe as glacial at best. JMG's model launches were a not well timed in some instances but talk about out of the frying pan and into the fire!

I think Autocar did https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/lotus-elan-frame-boxster-rival-revival-plan

• Gold FFM

Pure speculation on my part but it’s a reasonable guess that Geely could be more interested in using Lotus and all the groundbreaking engineering & design expertise at Hethel as an R&D ‘mule’. Primarily to help prepare the whole Geely group for the evolving automotive revolution: https://www.just-auto.com/analysis/automotive-industry-rd-and-the-unseen-billions_id86321.aspx

If this is the case perhaps the next petrol driven Lotus model is purely a tactical play and as such will be well down their list of business priorities.

More grist to Jonny’s point about acquiring or hanging onto “petrol head pinnacle” Lotus models at a premium while the opportunity is still there.

The big question then is whether or not a car that would to appeal to normal people could ever be a true Lotus?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

Maybe just maybe geely could actually get “normal” people to consider lotus as a possible car purchase.

Hope not. This forum would be so bloody boring if it was full of "normal" people. Only crazies buy Lotus and crazies make the best forum fodder!

Selfishly, I don't want Lotus to sell gazillions of cars. I really do think Lotus will dilute it's offering if it goes all mass market and the essence of what has made the company great (in the eyes of customers) will be lost. I also quite like owning a car from an "exclusive" brand - one that has history and heritage, is recognisable to most people, but one where the cars are not £500k each plus and the preserve of the super rich.

So, for purely selfish reasons I want to see Lotus flourish, but not just be turned into a "brand" for soulless samey cars or cars for the super rich.

Hope that makes sense.

• Like 1

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

3 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

Selfishly, I don't want Lotus to sell gazillions of cars

3 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

So, for purely selfish reasons I want to see Lotus flourish

A tricky combination. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

2 minutes ago, Bibs said:

A tricky combination. 

Ferrari sell 10,000. McLaren sell 5,000.  So, around 5x and 3x what Lotus have been selling. That would be good for me, as opposed to the 250,000 Porsche sell.

• Like 1

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Agreed. I wish the ambition was to succeed as a ground breaking sports car maker not a me-too volume car maker at any cost. I have to admire McLaren's refusal to produce SUVs.

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't like 911s but Porsche still make wonderful sports cars that people like to buy and many are fanatical about owning. 

Some of these sports cars are proper racers (GT2, GT3 etc..). Without the everyday wagons, I doubt Porsche could build these. 

Just 'cos I don't get 911, this does not mean I don't think the cars are good or for that matter sincerely made by craftsman who want to build sports cars. If selling horrid 4x4s means they can do so, well done them.

I don't believe Lotus can survive as they are or as they have been. Many have tried to keep Lotus niche and have failed. Well, kept it niche but failed to make money to allow more proper investment. 

Geely appear to have a long term plan. Lotus have not had a proper long term strategy (IE. 10 years+) since the 70s. It may not work. Given the landscape they face, it is the only sensible option to take. It may mean a few more fallow years but at least they have a vision, backed by funds (unlike Dany). 

Justin 

• Like 1

Maybe so but it woefully lacks imagination to copy Porsche, copying was never a Lotus thing. Mazda, among others found great success with a sports car by copying Lotus!

What worked 15 years ago comes with absolutely no guarantees of future success now. All car makers are having to radically re-evaluate everything they do now, including Porsche. This is a time for leaders, not followers. A time for bold, radical ideas. The sort of thing big car makers used to call Lotus for help with. Tesla sent a seismic shock through the whole industry and tide is rapidly turning in their favour now. Who did they call to get the ball rolling? The whole company started life on a production line at Hethel.

The bog standard Porsche 911's are @jep in my opinion good but boring. People are more fanatical about owning one because of the brand and the image.  They are a marketing company, a lifestyle company, first and foremost. They are a maker of cars second and a maker of sports car thirdly. All in my very humble opinion.  The GT3/4 and RS cars are motorsport embued masterpieces - even I, an anti-Porsche guy, absolutely accepts that and I applaud their very large and lengthy commitment to motorsport particularly at the clubman level. In fact, Lotus lost a lot of credibility in my eyes when JMG disbanded Motorsport Division and they are not nearly as involved as I would like in supporting and encouraging owners to race. They could learn a lot from Porsche here in my, once again, humble opinion.

However, Porsche cars are not by default good. There is a lot of hype about their build quality and reliability. The truth is they are masters of concealment when things go wrong - this is again reflected by their marketing skills.

A lot of people see Porsche as an aspirational car (indeed I used to laugh in the early 90's at people who thought they had made it when they got their first BMW 3 series - I used to remind them that even then they had paid £5k more than the bigger and more exclusive Ford Mondeo would have cost them lol...). They are fanatical about them as all they really care about is the brand and the residuals. So they talk these up whilst they hide the issues and the problems for fear of the impact it might have on the future value of their car.

I agree with @The Pits. Lotus has never been a follower of fashion. It's cars were often better engineered and better made than it's rivals at the time.  Yes they have had issues along the way, but so have Porsche, Ferrari, et al. It's just that everyone seems to love that old Lotus phrase....

If Lotus follows the herd then I will be out of the future cars. If they are going to just create a product to compete with Porsche on the like for like, then I might as well just buy the Porsche and follow the herd. The Lotus DNA and attraction will be lost to me.  We all buy into a brand for different reasons. I'm fascinated by Colin Chapman the man, the engineer and the race team owner. I'm fascinated by a British car company that stuck up two fingers to Ferrari and made better road cars, in my opinion, at the time.  I proud of a British company that has decades of engineering achievements, often world class and world beating, in it's history.

But, if Geely just goes all me too then I am out. I have an S90 with all the bells and whistles from Geely. Big screens, TFT dash, bongs and buzzers for everything. It's all a bloody distraction and often downright dangerous when your trying to swipe left/right and scroll around a large screen whilst driving. When I get into my Evora 410 Sport, the absence of any of that shite does not sadden me. It excites me at is then just me and my car. The two of us. Out on the road. 100% focused. 100% pure joy. 100% pure fun.

But, we are all different and some people just want to have the right brand/mascot on their key ring down at the pub/golf course....

• Like 1

The small print.

1 hour ago, Bibs said:

To be honest I always thought that Geely would seek to merge their various brands - so find it a bit odd that there's no mention of Lotus or the London Taxi Company in that article?

Smart move by the Chinese. They can now balance production/sales globally and will no consolidate production capability.

Not surprised re no mention of London Taxi and Lotus as their volumes will be too small for global consolidation at the moment. However, the eastern dragon is very much in the ascendancy and how long until the west becomes the commodity labour supplier? 20, 30 or 40 years?

• Like 1

The small print.

Just noticed this: 6:39 "An all new Elise will be breaking cover in 2020"

So... Is there a chance the new car will keep the Elise name and be unveiled by the end of the year rather than in 2021?

Edit: Sorry, didn't know this had been posted before

Edited by Sport220