Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Delco-Moraine ABS Deletion - Page 2 - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Delco-Moraine ABS Deletion

Just now, swindon_alan said:

I think Ian is pretty keen! I'm happy to spend time on the V8 version, shouldn't take too long but you could always go for the one above. All three (V8, MR2/VW, SE) need proper parts lists but Ian and I could drum them up between us.

Brilliant! It's also things like the mounting bracket and connection to the pedal - where to get them from etc. I presume an extension on the brake pipes is all that is needed from the D/M system?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hmmmm. I can see myself writing a few upgrade guides for these - sad git I am! That's parts lists, diagrams, modifications required, photos, fitting instructions yadda yadda. PDF Writer is my friend...

All with Ian and Barry's help of course, as I ain't got an S4/S4s!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)

In answer to Alan's earlier point, yes, I am looking into a brake conversion. I don't have all the answers I need yet, nor all the parts, and I've been set back by the purchase of a servo and brake master cylinder assembly which were advertised as an SE, turned out to be for an S3. If anyone wants a NOS brake servo and brake master cylinder for a pre-1985 S3, let me know!

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM
31 minutes ago, Chillidoggy said:

In answer to Alan's earlier point, yes, I am looking into a brake conversion. I don't have all the answers I need yet, nor all the parts, and I've been set back by the purchase of a servo and brake master cylinder assembly which were advertised as an SE, turned out to be for an S3. If anyone wants a NOS brake servo and brake master cylinder for a pre-1985 S3, let me know!

@cbclotus.....brake servo

Only here once

• Gold FFM
1 hour ago, swindon_alan said:

Why have you put it on its roof, Barry?

Dropped a poxy washer

20 minutes ago, swindon_alan said:

"Car" thing under your avatar woefully out of date now Mr Kearley. Hopefully the field is not like Twitter and there's no limit on the number of characters...

Done

• Haha 1

Only here once

20 hours ago, rizla603104 said:

What bracket is being used to mount all of this? As far as I can see there are several solutions for the master cylinder and servo - but no mention of how to actually get the pedal connected? Surely this is a great opportunity for someone to have 25 made using really sensible, easy to get hold of brake parts so none of this "chasing the hen's teeth" caper occurs again. Personally, I am sick and tired of my ABS unit and when someone lists a definitive set of braking parts that I can get - it will be changing. I nearly wrote myself off coming back from Brands in August last year having pressed the brake pedal and nothing happens - then pressing again and getting full beans. If someone who has achieved the change please list the parts - I'd be forever grateful.

I'd be pleased to hear what solutions you have for the master cylinder and servo, it would make life much easier.

Margate Exotics.

Hi Ian, I have no idea! That's why I'm asking. I have read lots of people who have said they have achieved the conversion, but no-one has detailed what they used and how they did it. I have only seen for myself one successful conversion and that was using Lotus parts - i.e: early V8 bracket, servo and master cylinder. The only thing that needed to be done was to drill a new hole on the brake pedal for the different length connection between the pedal and servo. A small electric pump was used with a pressure sensor to keep the reservoir topped up. Pipes extended to the new cylinder position. Works like a dream. The issue with this is that there is no supply from Lotus of the servo, master cylinder or mounting bracket. It almost fits under the original cowling - so even looks original. As I said earlier PNM are looking into a kit - but hasn't started the project. I thought that people had achieved this conversion already - maybe I'm wrong.

6 minutes ago, rizla603104 said:

Hi Ian, I have no idea! That's why I'm asking. I have read lots of people who have said they have achieved the conversion, but no-one has detailed what they used and how they did it. I have only seen for myself one successful conversion and that was using Lotus parts - i.e: early V8 bracket, servo and master cylinder. The only thing that needed to be done was to drill a new hole on the brake pedal for the different length connection between the pedal and servo. A small electric pump was used with a pressure sensor to keep the reservoir topped up. Pipes extended to the new cylinder position. Works like a dream. The issue with this is that there is no supply from Lotus of the servo, master cylinder or mounting bracket. It almost fits under the original cowling - so even looks original. As I said earlier PNM are looking into a kit - but hasn't started the project. I thought that people had achieved this conversion already - maybe I'm wrong.

Well, the more people that are in on the project, the better. Alan and I are doing what we can as time permits, so perhaps you could help by researching a replacement servo and dimensions?

Margate Exotics.

I'm happy to help, although my Esprit is stored away where I cannot access it. I may be able to find out the physical dimensions of the V8 servo - is that all you need? I am not mechanically minded and therefore wouldn't know a good one from a bad one. Is size the only factor is there anything else? I could also find out about the pump that was used? Is that going to be helpful? What about the bracket? This is not my car and so I can't fiddle with it.

Would it not be better to contact one of the people who has claimed a successful conversion - and ask them what they used? As I said the only person I know has used obsolete parts....

Can anyone list those who have successfully carried this out?

30 minutes ago, swindon_alan said:

We're ok for V8 info gents. I've got mine plus Barry has supplied all I need for the post '98 version, including dimensions. 

TBH, if the V8 has a 15/16" bore master cylinder, and we know what both it, and the servo, fit, then that will be of great help.

At present we know the Esprit SE servo/master combo works, however the servo hasn't yet been identified. We must remember that all our cars are a minimum of 13 years old, and in my case 26 years old, thus new servos and master cylinders may well be difficult, or impossible, to find. I would personally like to steer clear of secondhand parts, as I have no idea what condition they're in.

I'm convinced that the Holy Grail is out there, and it may be possible to fit Land Rover servos and masters, some of those look very good, very reasonably priced, and new, but the spacing of the servo studs could dictate a new fabricated bracket, and some alteration to the actuation from the brake pedal. Without the dimensions, it's impossible to say, but I intend to keep searching.

Margate Exotics.